Author Topic: Thermo buttons wearing through  (Read 11090 times)

Offline squirrel

• View Profile
Thermo buttons wearing through
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:02:21 am »
Has anyone had an issue with the buttons wearing through on their Thmx.  I have had my Thmx  about 7 years now.  It doesn't miss a beat, however I noticed the rubber + and -  buttons are gradually perishing, wearing through the rubber.  They still work fine.
Any one other there had a similar issue?

Thanks
Squirrel

There are no super foods .... only super lifestyles..... ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thermo buttons wearing through
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
I just went to have a look at mine. The rubber on the + has actually worn off in the corner. The - sign on mine is almost worn off.
I put my glasses on and the weighing button is actually quite worn too. Everything is still working well.
I've had my machine 6 or 7 years too. I guess it just means we use it a lot. Imagine how many times these buttons are pressed. I've just made some biscuits and my scales button would have been pressed heaps of times just for that.
I'm not worried about it. Are you?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:51:20 am »
Thanks for the reply Cookie1.  Great to hear I am not the only one.  I am not too worried about it.. will wait and see how much it perishes.  They may be eventually replaced perhaps? 
Squirrel

There are no super foods .... only super lifestyles..... ;D

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:13 am »
Yes my weigh button is perished, but still works OK.   I have had my machine for 4 /12 yrs

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:04 pm »
I think if it ever falls off I would have to have it replaced.
As I said proof we use it a lot. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one.  :D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »
I've had my machine about 5-6 years   :o, my DD has had hers about  4. At one stage we had both machines in the kitchen but now she lives in Melbourne and I noticed her rubber has cracked. Perhaps we swapped TM's somewhere down the line???  Funny thing is that I have an oven in an investment property that has a little rubber ignition button that perishes all the time and I have to replace. When I was buying my TM I specifically asked the question if those rubber buttons perish, and without any hesitation the consultant said no.

My blades have to be replaced every couple of years even tho I am conscious not to overload. I will only put my jug in the dishwasher once a year as I'm happy to hand wash. It's too easy for TM reps to say this and that but blame you "cos you must have done something" when it's out of warranty.

gertbysea has also experienced the rubber problem as far as I recall.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:11 am »
CP I think the consultants have little idea of what happens and doesn't. So many of them only stay as consultants for a short time and wouldn't know anything other than what they are told.
Meagan adopted me after Kathryn finished, who had adopted me. I have absolute confidence in Meagan as she has been doing consulting for ages. I receive emails from another consultant because HO told her I didn't have anyone looking after me. She sends out the standard email every month with no personal touches.
Me again is my girl.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 06:38:21 am »
Yes my buttons were wearing too but the whole,thing got overhauled when. I had the cockroach brobelm. The machine came back as new with new everything even though i had  not asked for it which was ok by me.  I think 5 years is pretty good for the buttons thing with the amount of use ours get. The motors seem to last forever the blades not so much.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline greenwaynegreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 08:08:44 am »
I had the same with my Fisher and Paykel Washing machine. Interestingly they use a reluctance motor as well. When I reported it to FP they sent out a over sticker. Exactly the same sticker but to go over the top of the worn sticker. It did the job and kept the machine going for another 3 years with all the buttons working properly. (The main thing was to keep moisture from getting through the worn buttons) I cannot imagine a world where Thermomix would ever do this but then again... Come to think of it HP did the same thing as well with worn out buttons on their printer. They had a class action law suite going at the time. It might make a difference with that little bit of extra motivation. (not saying that this warrants a class action LOL) Maybe you can do the same with clear contact adhesive. Just a thought.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:46 am »
visited my DD and her worn & cracked buttons are a worry. I've rung HO to enquire what can be done about it, and they've said that a courier can come and pick up (approx $20) and then it would cost a minimum of $55 to replace the front board, and then another $20 to deliver back after a few days. Not sure my DD can afford that, but not happy that there a gaping holes either where the buttons used to be. No such thing as a sticker over the top apparently. They are going to get a nearby consultant to give me a call re pick up and delivery after I mentioned that I have bought 4 TM's off them - they do seem to push the consultant care side of things when you are buying a machine so I thought I would maybe remind them of one of their key selling features.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 07:29:37 am »
A good move CP.