Author Topic: What are you getting rid of in your pantry?  (Read 23840 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: What are you getting rid of in your pantry?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »
why not just grow the real thing?? from what i read its the unripened flower bud of a caper plant then salted and put in brine?? im sure you can find the plant or seeds somewhere to grow your own..fantastic thing about the WWW ..gives us access to so much worldwide..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 12:43:26 pm »
Great suggestion. I just looked into it and it  unfortunately it doesn't appear that the tropics are the ideal habitat for this species. If someone from the tropics has had success I'd love to give it a go.  Tried growing my own bay tree once but with no success.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 03:50:59 am »
I have a post on my blog which comments on this very issue. Thermomix Savings

Although I took a lot out of my pantry, I also added a lot. Various different types of flour, seeds, nuts, loads of spices etc.

Thanks for the brown sugar recipe, dede. Although, I just bought a 5kg container of brown sugar. :P
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 07:31:40 am »
This has been an interesting read. The thing I want to get out of my pantry at the moment is the PANTRY MOTHS, I'm sure they weren't there when I went to Singapore. It looks like a big clean out coming. Not before time. They were in my pine nuts-horrid things.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:28 am »
oh I second that wholeheartedly and thank goodness cookie I am not the sole breeder of these pests!!  (they cause me so much grief, and have even marked my new ceiling and woven larvae on the ceiling cornices - which makes a mark when you brush it down) I have no room in my fridge because I have put all the nuts, dried fruit and whatever else I can cram in there to prevent another outbreak. I even freeze my flour before using it as that is supposed to kill off the eggs. I use those sticky tents, and that has been the only thing that can sort of keep the numbers down.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:37 pm »
This has been an interesting read. The thing I want to get out of my pantry at the moment is the PANTRY MOTHS, I'm sure they weren't there when I went to Singapore. It looks like a big clean out coming. Not before time. They were in my pine nuts-horrid things.

Pine nuts should always be stored in the freezer, not only because of bugs but because they become rancid so quickly. 
The pinion pines grow all over the Sierras and there is a big processing plant in Bishop, CA that I buy from and they include a paper with the nuts stating that they should be used immediately or stored in the freezer. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 10:23:33 pm »
That's good to know Andie. Thanks.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 06:59:31 am »
Thanks Andie. I sort of know those sorts of things but my freezer is overflowing and I really can't fit much more in it. DH BOUGHT all these rolls when we were away and goodness knows what and put them in the freezer. I will manage to fit my nuts in some how though.

Like you CP63 I have little tents every where and also marks on the wall and ceiling where I go crazy and smash the moths. Do you think it is the long hot time we are having that is causing them to be worse this year? I haven't had them for years and years.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12:43 am »
I was wondering the same thing Cookie, plus the humidity as well?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 07:25:31 am »
pantry moths are a real pain but I'd rather have them than cockroaches. I saw 2 cockies in my kitchen in 2 days so off to the shop for bombs. Spent $50 on cockroach bombs and the next morning only found 2 dead cockies  ??? ???
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:41 pm »
pantry moths are a real pain but I'd rather have them than cockroaches. I saw 2 cockies in my kitchen in 2 days so off to the shop for bombs. Spent $50 on cockroach bombs and the next morning only found 2 dead cockies  ??? ???
Expensive cockroaches at $25 each. :D :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 09:04:45 pm »
We have pantry moths too.   I thought I had gone through everything.....and then yesterday I was thinking of making potato and quinoa soup, and the quinoa was infested!  And I cannot believe some of the the things they get into!  I have had them in the sistema containers (and I had convinced myself they were great!), and even tupperware, unopened packets of things like pasta. I even had a single larva in an unopened jar of tomato paste!

I would rather a few cockroaches than these pesky things and their larva!

Offline GoneCrazY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 10:42:25 pm »
oh gosh ...touch wood i have never had those !! :-\
sounds like they can cause havock getting into even unopend items :(
out of interest where do u ladies live that are having pantry moth problems ?
how can u tell if they are likley to come into ur kitchen ?
im quiet paranoied of them now lol
We have pantry moths too.   I thought I had gone through everything.....and then yesterday I was thinking of making potato and quinoa soup, and the quinoa was infested!  And I cannot believe some of the the things they get into!  I have had them in the sistema containers (and I had convinced myself they were great!), and even tupperware, unopened packets of things like pasta. I even had a single larva in an unopened jar of tomato paste!

I would rather a few cockroaches than these pesky things and their larva!
I HAVE SOMETHING BAKING ...........................BUT IT WONT BE READY TILL FEB 2012 ;)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 01:06:45 am »
we live in Perth, western australia. Not sure if there is something already in packets when you buy them, hence why I freeze my flour & rice etc before I put into the cupboard as I heard this kills off the 'eggs'. what happens is you notice 1 or 5 moths and then bang! its the beginning of an infestation -- so there is a 'mother load' just starting off somewhere in the cupboard. 99% of my stuff is in plastic containers which helps contain the moths if they are already inside, otherwise an opened packet somewhere...they're called 'free range' moths as they can move around  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:11 am »
How big are these moths CP?  I don't know how many times I have opened the pantry door and stood there looking to see if I have any of those pests.  Surely it has to be the weather conditions if all the problems are in Perth and nowhere else. You've had an extremely hot summer this year and I imagine you will all be glad to see the end of it soon.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.