Author Topic: problem with cleaning  (Read 13967 times)

Offline madjaz

• View Profile
problem with cleaning
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »
Hi Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as I have with cleaning the thermomix. I made mashed potatoes and found that it was burnt on the bottom. I cannot clean it all off. I've tried bi carb soda and I did the vinegar and dishwashing liquid but I can't get rid of it. I love my thermomix so much and I don't want to ruin it.
Can someone help me please ;D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: problem with cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:13:13 pm »
have you used steel wool? i've been assuming steel wool is fine because it's stainless steel... until i hear otherwise lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline madjaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:29:57 am »
I didn't think we were allowed to scrub it with anything like that.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 01:14:53 am »
I'd try soaking for a long time with lots of bicarb and small amount of water - like 1 tbsp to half cup - and warm to 70 degrees for 20 minutes on speed 1 then turn off and leave an hour or so.

Don't think that steel wool would be good for the finish.

There are stainless steel cleaners, but they tend to have fairly harsh acids, so if you can get it off with repeated bicarb poultices then that would be better.

It may take a few soaks, but should come off.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gabi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »
Hi, like a saleswoman told me this machine is just like a pan so clean it as you would a pan. I've done this for the last 4 year and it's been ok. What I do is put it on for about 5 minutes 100º with a little washing up liquid. Then let it cool and scrape off whatever dirt is left . Hope this helps.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:24:19 am »
i had a similar problem with risotto....i just used one of those sponges that has the scrubber on one side, the ones that are okay for non stick pans, its done fine and not ruined the TM bowl at all,....my rep also said she uses Jif on hers if necessary and it doesnt ruin it...

Offline madjaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:15:45 am »
Thank you all so very much for your advice. I have got it off finally with bi carb and a soft non stick scrubbing pad.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 03:43:03 am »
Great news - how many soaks/time did it take to get it off?

Were you using Varoma temp or 100 degrees when it happened?  I have had some problems with egg sticking, but it tends to come off with soaking.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:03:28 am »
hmmm i guess i better get one!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 01:03:52 pm »
Eggs will always stick unless the pan is hot when they hit it (no matter what the pan is made of) so my recommendation is to heat the TM bowl until it has reached temp, and then put your egg(s) in. However...if the eggs are in with other ingredients, it should not matter.
Usually sticking occurs if there has been a recipe malfunction...you have added time to the recipe for example, or used a higher temp than recommended, or the speed was incorrect...however if you do have a catch, a non-stick scourer is fine to use as already explained in this forum.