Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6144149 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #23820 on: April 21, 2020, 11:02:09 pm »
Yes, KAtie it is all really strange. Every day I get a post online from businesses trying to adapt.  I don’t need any more food but feel I should help them survive. Yesterday a collaboration between Meigas , the Spanish Restaurant and a smallgoods producer are offering home deliveries.  Source bulk foods, order and pay online and pickup from shop.
Yesterday I picked all the Medlars off the 2 trees. Friend said that vinegar made from them is very nice.  Might give it a go. Have Made Medlar Jelly in the past.
Started my Kefir again.  Had let my Kefir grains die a year or so ago. Made this lot with a Kefir powder and Lactose free milk.  A bit risky but it seems to be making a soft setting.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23821 on: April 22, 2020, 08:41:58 am »
I saw the podiatrist this morning and then did my food shopping. A few cranky people about but nothing that a smile and good morning to them didn't fix. No kids there today and few people. Our kids don't go back to school until the middle of next week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23822 on: April 22, 2020, 02:48:08 pm »
Chookie do you get your flour from Source Bulk foods ?
We had a slower morning today although I had DH food packed up before Home school statered . DH and I stopped at our local bakery , I normally get a treat for everyone..vanilla slice none left, milk and a loaf of sliced white bread - this is not for me we use it in our toastie machine and DH likes it . Now we always seem to catch up with a few people , distance appropriate. Had a ok day made soup.. oh my one every two days and a cake or slice every time too. Lucky MIL passed on a batch of hedgehog to us too . We had a lovely roast dinner and then DD was holding Boarding house meeting , quite in the house . Meanwhile DS was attending the boys boarding house meeting ! Read a bit of my book , have to set a page goal each day now or I will not be ready for book club.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23823 on: April 22, 2020, 11:41:15 pm »
K Atie , I bought my last lot of bread flour from Natures Cargo.  It is from the Weston flour mill. A mixture of NZ  and Australian wheat.  Not as good as Laucke.  I have to add a bit extra yeast and Improver to it. It was $14.50 for 12.5 K. You can look at the Catalogue on line.  They have specials which change each month.  No prices in Catalogue but cheaper than shops as you are buying bulk.
I love the Source products because they are very fresh.  However they are also expensive. I can buy unusual products from them like Dried Sour Cherries and the Ginger infused Coconut. Also, their Maple Syrup is amazing.
DD picked up a cartridge for my printer.  Funny the things you run out of. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23824 on: April 23, 2020, 02:14:48 am »
Once I see the dietician I’ll go shopping for some ingredients I am now allowed to eat, rice, pasta etc - I haven’t been down those aisles for 6 months now so it will be interesting to see if they have any of the type I’m allowed to have. I haven’t missed pasta or rice (I love zoodles in lieu of pasta) but it opens up a lot more recipes if I can find the type I need.  I don’t expect to be baking bread any time soon but I did buy some wholewheat rolls and bread earlier this week which makes for a quick no brainer lunch at times.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #23825 on: April 23, 2020, 07:04:43 am »
All your days sound a lot more interesting than mine. At work we started the day with 6 patients for 3 of us. 2 pt's were discharged and we got 7 O/T cases back. Will enjoy the quiet before elective surgery starts back up again. There will be a back log.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23826 on: April 23, 2020, 07:45:01 am »
Well here we are in our 5 th week of self imposed isolation while Coronavirus roars around the world.  We are sitting at the table drinking coffee and discussing Anne Boleyn .  Ral is reading Hilary  Mantel.
The TMX has been running hot all morning.
The Chooks are very cross with me as I haven’t let them out for 2 days.
Domestic harmony in a Chaotic world.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23827 on: April 23, 2020, 08:52:11 am »
DD is reading the latest Hilary Mantel book.

DD and I snuck out this morning and went to a coffee shop and ordered 2 takeaway coffees and a piece of carrot cake. The cake was nice but the coffees weren't the best. That will teach us.

Mich DD rang her boss and offered to go back to work if they needed her during the Covid crisis. They said with out elective surgery they were so slack and were asking some Pharmacy staff to take some leave. She felt better after enquiring.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23828 on: April 23, 2020, 12:23:20 pm »
Thank you Chookie , I’ll keep that in mind regarding the flour , think I need an energy boost but it is not there at the moment.
We had a good day DH slowed down and rested most of the morning. I had a very fast hour to get lunch heated and prep for the power going out for the day !! It didn’t happen too windy . New ploles being put up in our area . Lucky we didn’t get the generator up to house for no reason , all computers etc had to be charged.
Love that Ral and Chookie are chattering about books etc , chooks will love it when they get out . Local egg company Greens eggs are doing a farm gate drive by to rehome 18 month old chooks this weekend , very tempting but think we will stick to ours , never happy mixing old and new . 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23829 on: April 24, 2020, 06:52:00 am »
KAtie, good not to mix the different aged Chooks. What a nuisance about the power.  That often happens here.
RAL reads good literature and I read rubbish. I have read a lot about Henry and his wives. It interests me that some historians think she ( Anne Boleyn)  was a bad girl and other just the opposite. Hilary Mantel passionately believes the former.
Cookie Ral is rereading Hilary Mantel before he starts on her recent book. I also feel like nicking out. There hasn’t been a recorded case of the virus in Ballarat for 22 days.
Mab, that is sad that your GD can’t celebrate her Birthday now. 
Got another Wilsons Fruit and Veg delivery. Very good mixture, except for the potatoes and onions.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23830 on: April 24, 2020, 12:08:07 pm »
My BIL’s niece celebrates her 21st in early May. Her Mum is organising a drive past for her. It will be a surprise. We are taking the old Ute, the EJ Holden and DD her Mustang.

I had good intentions today but didn’t carry through with them.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23831 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:19 pm »
Cookie that sounds nice and very special.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23832 on: April 24, 2020, 12:50:28 pm »
It does sound special, how far away is she?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23833 on: April 24, 2020, 05:44:17 pm »
I went supermarket shopping Aldi for crovac meat and then Safeway’s ! Took to long and kids texted to say internet out ! By the time I wiped everything down before I put the shopping in the car it was a long process. Came home with a migraine and went to bed , tried eating late lunch walk outside . Woke up at 6 ,had to get DH , never have I driven and thought this is dangerous but took it slowly . Bed DD and DS stepped up and got  dinner .
I woke up at 12.30am to DD and DH full on talking dear me they will not be up for dawn . Have not made Anzac biscuits, so hope to make in the morning.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #23834 on: April 24, 2020, 11:06:44 pm »
Up early this morning for the Anzac dawn service in our driveway.  A good few of the neighbours were also up and had lights on the footpath.  Back inside for some breakfast and a hot cuppa then watched some of the service on the TV.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.