Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 140880 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2009, 08:55:25 am »
Well that sold me Julie, I am off to check out Spotlight on Monday  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline grandma

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2009, 02:29:40 pm »
Haven't made butter yet but am going to try tomorrow.  Just not sure about 'washing' the butter.  Do you just let the water run off it for 30 seconds once it's turning into butter?

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2009, 04:32:20 pm »
Grandma, once you have made the butter, you drain off the buttermilk, leave the butter in the TMX bowl add the water and set it to speed 4 for (I think) 10 seconds. I am generally fluffing around in the kitchen when I am making butter that it could wash for any amount of time lol. I wash mine three times. That is drain the bowl and add fresh water three times. The water needs to be icy cold as well.  The instructions should all be in your EDC - if this is still clear as mud let us know and we will make sure you don't have a disaster  ;)

Offline Thermo convert

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2009, 01:46:40 am »
Hi All,
You convinced me to try the butter. Very quick to do. Tastes wonderful.   I remember helping my mother to make butter many years ago with the wooden butter churn. Added EVOO to mine to make it spreadable.  Will be interesting to see my son's reaction. He will taste the olive oil I'm sure. Just have to convince him it is better for him.
Thanks for the gentle encouragement.

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2009, 02:25:30 am »
Just at tip for anyone who lives in Canberra. I shop at the capital regional farmers market at epic every saturday. The dairy stall there sells 2L of pure cream for $10. You just have to ask them, and they'll get it from their van for you. They recommended that I leave in the fridge for a week before I turn it into butter. Its a good quality cream, minimum 35% fat. I get about 1kg of butter and 1L of butter milk from it. I freeze the excess butter for later use.

http://www.countryvalley.com.au/ < this is the brand. They supply else where too, just check out their website.

Its very cheap and very nice!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2009, 04:10:34 am »
Is that cheap for pure cream ($10 for 2L)??  I buy mine in 1L bottles for $4.10.  It is sold in local stores and deli's and comes from a local farm.  It has a minimum fat content of 45%.  Don't tell me we are actually cheaper on something down here in Tassie!!!  ;D

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2009, 04:35:54 am »
From what I have seen around here its cheap. You might be able to get home-brand cream for cheaper, but I like support local farmers when I can. That sound like a pretty sweet deal you have there in Tassie.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2009, 04:44:18 am »
Hi All,
You convinced me to try the butter. Very quick to do. Tastes wonderful.   I remember helping my mother to make butter many years ago with the wooden butter churn. Added EVOO to mine to make it spreadable.  Will be interesting to see my son's reaction. He will taste the olive oil I'm sure. Just have to convince him it is better for him.
Thanks for the gentle encouragement.

Try rice bran or grape seed oil. Not as strong a flavour.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:30 am »
Mine can still pick the rice bran oil but have no complaints with grapeseed oil when I use it (which I rarely add oil to mine anyway) I think I may have even stopped as they all complained about the taste with oil in it lol

Offline jnstoel

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2009, 12:08:49 am »
I made butter and it is delicious. Never knew it was this simple. The one thing is I used pasteurized cream from a large commercial manufacturer (i.e. supermarket stuff), and will look in my area for some fresh farmer's unpasteurized cream, which probably make the butter extremely delicious.
AJAX!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2009, 12:12:42 am »
It is fun to discover how easy some things are that chefs make you think are difficult.  Love my Bimby
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2009, 12:22:03 am »
I love my Bimby and I love you too Thermomixer.

Gertbysea
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2009, 09:43:32 am »
First attempt at making butter was a failure - whipped for over 6 minutes and all the cream did was get thicker and thicker without separating. Eventually gave up and used the result with strawberry jam in a Victoria sponge.  Second attempt was a spectacular success! Less than two minutes of whipping and the butter separated. Buttermilk now in freezer for use in scones at the weekend and butter in the fridge - delicious. Don't know why the first batch didn't work; maybe the cream was too warm? - second batch was well chilled.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2009, 09:22:49 am »
Those of you that do big batches of butter........do you wash the bowl inbetween each lot or just use a spatula to scrape out as much as you can and then do the next lot...that is what I have been doing :)   
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2009, 09:59:56 am »
I generally don't have any in there to scrape out. Are you using really icy cold water to wash your butter with as that generally gets the butter to bind together and you aren't left with any in the bowl, maybe a little lump or two under the blade. Otherwise no don't waste the time to wash the bowl lol just keep going!  :D