Author Topic: Honey Glazed Chicken TMX Style  (Read 8095 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Honey Glazed Chicken TMX Style
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:26:56 pm »
I had pulled some chicken thighs from the freezer earlier today and left them on the bench but when it came time to prepare tea they weren't defrosted. I was about to rush out to the supermarket before it closed as I had no potatoes and thought I'd grab some and maybe something else to prepare for tea. I got into the car and then thought better of it and decided to put some rice into the rice cooker and just chop up the frozen lump of chicken breasts and do something with it.

A few years ago my eldest DS was given the task of deciding the night's menu and helping to prepare it and he had chosen Honey Glazed Chicken from one of my favourite cookbooks - the Port Hedland School of the Air's A Taste of the Outback cookbook. It is done in the oven and when served with potato bake, carrots and broccoli is a wonderful meal that soon became a family favourite that we often served to guests. When we first started to make this we used Sundried Tomato Mustard as we had received some in a Christmas hamper and this made the dish very special. Coles no longer carry it.

Anyway, tonight I decided to try a quick version of the dish in the TMX and how I did it is outlined below.

Honey Glazed Chicken TMX Style
Servings: 6
Ingredients:
2 dessertspns honey
1 dessertspn dijon mustard
a couple of sundried or semi-dried tomatoes
lge tspn curry paste (I used red curry paste)
approx 40g butter
1 kg chicken thighs, cubed
rice or cornflour to thicken (if desired or needed)

Preparation:
Put butter, honey, mustard, sundried tomatoes and curry paste into TMX bowl and program 3 mins, Varoma temp, speed 4 for 5 secs and then drop speed back to 1 for remainder of the 3 mins.
Scrape down sides of bowl and add chicken. I used the spatula to move the chicken around to coat with the ingredients in the bowl, and then, because the chicken was frozen I programmed it for 15 mins on Varoma temp, Reverse + speed 1. For defrosted chicken I imagine that 100C would be sufficient.
As the chicken created quite a bit of liquid as it defrosted I mixed some rice flour with a bit of water and added it to the bowl, programmed it for 1 min, Varoma temp, Reverse speed + soft.

I served it with rice, carrots and peas and it served 6 adults and my 5 yr old DD.

members' comments

CP - it was delicious, chucked in a few more sundried tomatoes. As my chicken was not frozen the 15 mins on 100 was fine. Steamed some vegies in the varoma and as they reqquired a bit longer just put the chicken in the Thermoserver and boiling water in the TM and gave the vegies another 10 mins. Thank you Roxy for posting this tasty recipe of yours.

JD - Made this with pork fillet.  Used a 380g fillet for the 2 of us but made all the sauce.  Steamed the vegies and potato cubes whilst I was preparing the meat and measuring out the sauce ingredients then popped the vegies into the thermosaver whilst I cooked the meat for 7 mins /100o/reverse/ speed 1.  During this cooking I browned the potato cubes on the stove top and it all came together in around 30 minutes.  The large cubes of pork were well and truly cooked in 7 minutes, will check at 5 minutes next time.  The sauce is delicious and there wasn't too much for the smaller quantity of meat. Thanks RoxyS.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:07:16 am by judydawn »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Honey Glazed Chicken TMX Style
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:39:26 am »
Sounds like a healthy quick meal - something I always like. Thanks. Did you do the rice a vegies after this and let this mix sit in the Thermoserver??

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:54:00 am »
I've got this planned for tomorrow's meal but using a pork fillet - will report back.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 03:24:35 am »
Good work RoxyS  - sounds good.  Saved petrol, saved the environment too  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:40 am »
Thanks for this RoxyS,  we always have  frozen chicken in the freezer.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 12:57:43 am »
Nay-Nay I still use my rice cooker and make a large quantity of rice so had that on while preparing the chicken. I could have done the veggies in the varoma as I was using varoma temp but did them in the microwave instead - force of habit I guess.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:13:46 am »
made this last night for tea, and it was delicous. chucked in a few more sundried tomatoes. as my chicken was not frozen the 15 mins on 100 was fine. steamed some veges in the varoma, and as they reqd a bit longer, just put the chicken in the Thermoserver and boiling water in the TM and gave the veges another 10 mins. thank you Roxy for posting this tasty recipe of yours  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 03:42:53 am »
Thanks for this Roxy. I've planned to eat it this week. It looks, quick, easy and tasty.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »
Made this with pork fillet tonight.  Used a 380g one for the 2 of us but made all the sauce.  Steamed the vegies and potato cubes whilst I was preparing the meat and measuring out the sauce ingredients then popped the vegies into the thermosaver whilst I cooked the meat for 7 mins /100o/reverse, speed 1.  During this cooking I browned the potato cubes on the stove top and it all came together in around 30 minutes.  The large cubes of pork were well and truly cooked in 7 minutes, will check at 5 minutes next time.  The sauce is delicious and there wasn't too much for the smaller quantity of meat.  Thanks RoxyS.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:51:25 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:20:47 am »
CP63, glad you liked it. JudyDawn, will have to try it with pork now. It's always good to get feedback & see what others do with a recipe. Thanks for posting the photo too, it looks great.

Offline sarah30_AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:10 am »
I'm going to give this a try soon. sounds so easy and tasty. Let you know how we like it  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:39 am »
Good work JD as always   :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.