Author Topic: Pear and Blueberry Muffins with Hidden Greens (with photo)  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Foodie Mum

• View Profile
    • Foodie Mum
Pear and Blueberry Muffins with Hidden Greens (with photo)
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:10:30 am »
Hi Everyone,
This is my first recipe shared on the forum and I hope to post a lot more soon.
My son loves pears, blueberries and sultanas so I've been experimenting with using these ingredients in muffins and hiding extra vegetables in them. This is my basic recipe and I add extra greens depending on what I think I can get away with and how fussy he is on a particular day ;D

Name of Recipe: Pear and Blueberry Muffins with Hidden Greens

Ingredients:
150g whole spelt grains (or substitute with preferred grains)
150g baker’s flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Pinch of Himalayan salt
180g organic rice milk (or substitute with preferred milk)
50g rapadura sugar
2 free range eggs
50g extra virgin olive oil
2 medium zucchinis
50g pecans (optional and can substitute with other nuts)
1 large pear, peeled and quartered
1 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries
1/4 cup organic sultanas or raisins
Organic, biodynamic butter to serve (optional)

Preparation:
Pre-heat oven to 180.C.
Add the whole spelt grains to the TM bowl and mill for 1 minute on speed 9. Set aside.
Add zucchinis, pecans and pear to the TM bowl and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5.
Add the spelt flour back to the TM and add baker’s flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt (to make it self-raising).
Add milk, sugar, eggs and extra virgin olive oil. Mix for 30 seconds on speed 5.
Add blueberries and sultanas and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4.
Spoon into greased muffins tins, add one blueberry to the top of each muffin and bake in pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Add a tiny amount of butter to the top of each muffin while still warm.

Photo:

Tips/Hints:
Ideally, grains and nuts would be soaked beforehand.
These muffins are a great way to hide vegetables and greens for fussy eaters. Zucchinis are great because they don't have a strong flavour but you can experiment with kale, spinach, silverbeet, bok choy and heaps of other vegetables.

members' comments

CarolineW - they're a hit.  I used a variety of different fruit, including dried blueberries as I didn't have fresh, yellow crookneck squash instead of courgette and a banana in place of one of the eggs as I only had one egg!  Oh and White spelt flour instead of bakers flour (which assumed is what we call plain flour).  I also added a few daityfree choc chips to sell them to DD1. I will definitely make these again.

JuliaC83 - everyone loved them. Used what I already had in the house - so 1 zucchini and 1 banana, walnuts instead of pecans, 300g wholemeal spelt flour, almond milk and macadamia oil (I find olive oil too strong in cakes). They rose beautifully in the oven but deflated quite a lot once removed - they may have required a couple more minutes in the oven?  Definitely make again. I made 23 muffins with this mixture ... 9 were eaten within 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:16:34 pm by judydawn »
Foodie Mum & Thermomix Consultant

My Blog - http://foodiemum.com
Family friendly recipes with a focus on organic wholefoods and cooking with love.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Pear and Blueberry Muffins with Hidden Greens (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:55 am »
Haha! Love it! No one need know.  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:06 am »
I made these yesterday, and they're a hit.  I used a variety of different fruit, including dried blueberries as I didn't have fresh, yellowcrookneck squash instead of courgette, and a banana in place of one of the eggs as I only had one egg!  Oh, and White spelt flour instead of bakers flour (which assumed is what we call plain flour).  I also added a few daityfree choc chips to sell them to DD1.

I will definitely make these again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:29:40 pm by CarolineW »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Foodie Mum

• View Profile
    • Foodie Mum
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:29:19 am »
I'm glad you liked them Caroline. The squash sounds good. I'll have to try that next time :)
Foodie Mum & Thermomix Consultant

My Blog - http://foodiemum.com
Family friendly recipes with a focus on organic wholefoods and cooking with love.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:23 am »
Bump :D

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44:34 am »
Thanks, Foodie Mum.  I happen to have blueberries and pears and spinach on hand, so will enjoy having a go at your rather attractive recipe. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:45 am »
Made these today - everyone loved them :)
I used what I already had in the house - so 1 zucchini and 1 banana, walnuts instead of pecans, 300g wholemeal spelt flour, almond milk and macadamia oil (I find olive oil too strong in cakes).
They rose beautifully in the oven but deflated quite a lot once removed - they may have required a couple more minutes in the oven?
Definitely make again ;D I made 23 muffins with this mixture ... 9 were eaten within 5 minutes  :-))
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014