Author Topic: Favourite Recipes saved in book or folder  (Read 24081 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Favourite Recipes saved in book or folder
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »
I have about 6 display folders that I use to store my recipes. I save to my recipes folder and print as well, then file in the appropriate folder.
I sometimes have the dining table covered in recipes if I don't get around to filing them!
Yes, I've done the quick grab and stash when visitors come!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58:47 am »
I have just gone through my huge file that I have been collecting all my forum recipes and storing in for the past couple of years. The file has gone from being a small display file to a huge bulging one that I can't clip together and weighs a ton as I add to it each day. Then I had a brainwave... All the favourite recipes that have a star on them or that I make often have been photocopied/printed off. I was very selective - it had to be a favourite = 91.  There is a recipe on both the front and back page, and I have sorted them roughly as you would find in a recipe book. I have also typed up a Contents page at the beginning, and a weight Conversions page at the front that I always use. The next thing I did was go to Officeworks and get them to bind it for me, and I added a coloured cardboard cover front and back, and a clear plastic cover to protect. They made 5 copies for me including the original, and it came to $50. How cool is that - My Favourite Recipes, Volume 1.

I didn't bother typing a new clean recipe up myself as I like to know the person who posted it, and I like the comments underneath.

I figure the next book will take a couple of years.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 03:35:04 am »
What a great idea CP63. I have all mine i a folder with comments etc on them and even a photo if I can. I think I might be a copy cat.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 11:20:11 am »
That would be a compliment cookie  :D I don't know why I hadn't thought of it earlier? I think I will also do a Conventional Favourites as well for recipes that I have to do the old way. Would be a nice thing to give our DD's (and maybe DS) if they ever leave home. Its so neat and a great feeling to open up a book solely dedicated to all the delicous recipes that our family enjoy.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
That would be a compliment cookie  :D I don't know why I hadn't thought of it earlier? I think I will also do a Conventional Favourites as well for recipes that I have to do the old way. Would be a nice thing to give our DD's (and maybe DS) if they ever leave home. Its so neat and a great feeling to open up a book solely dedicated to all the delicous recipes that our family enjoy.
Great idea CP of making a favorite Thermomix cookbook.You realize that you would have to buy TM's to go with the cookbooks when your DD's and DS leave home. :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »
we have already bought one for DD23 21st pressie about a year and a half ago (which we are fortunate to have in the kitchen also) and DD20 is turning 21 this year and wants one to be rainchecked for when she leaves home at the end of this year... our kids have taken to these machines like ducks to water and don't want to leave home without one (so anything I can do to make the transition as smooth as possible...)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »
That's a great idea CP, our folders are getting a little heavy and some of my recipe printouts are getting tatty around the edges too.  I thought of printing out fresh copies of my all time very favourite recipes and getting DH to laminate them for me, 2 per sheet like you have done. Easy to remove and take to the kitchen without getting messy.  You are right, something definitely has to be done after 2 years or more.  Lucky kids too with Mum sending them on their way with a TMX and a family recipe book.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:04:16 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 01:02:38 pm »
we have already bought one for DD23 21st pressie about a year and a half ago (which we are fortunate to have in the kitchen also) and DD20 is turning 21 this year and wants one to be rainchecked for when she leaves home at the end of this year... our kids have taken to these machines like ducks to water and don't want to leave home without one (so anything I can do to make the transition as smooth as possible...)
Wow what great parents you are CP :o Really useful 21st presents and you get a backup TM in the kitchen while they are still living at home. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 01:21:53 pm »
JD I wouldn't worry about laminating as that would take up so much room in a file. OK you can wipe them down when they get food spills, but when you have a book like this you can write on it with tips as time goes by - who cares, thats good especially in a cookbook, and it is very compact. When the book gets tatty, all that needs to be done is the binder ripped off and re-photocopied, or you can go to the trouble of typing up the recipes.

I like to keep the authors name on the recipe so when people compliment my food, I like to say "this is so and so's recipe". Its almost like they are just about sitting at the table also. :) (such are the characters on the forum) does anyone else feel that way also? Seems to make a meal more memorable also if there is a notation of some sort.

My DD's XBF's mum used to write a quick notation of something special about the day they tried that recipe eg. Baby Frankenstein played basketball and got Fairest and Best... 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »
Yes I see your point there CP.
Like you I also like to mention who posted the recipe and I make a note that I have made it for so and so and the date too.  Would hate to forget I'd given it to them before and serve it up again (unless they specifically asked for it of course).
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 02:12:27 am »
The issue of saving, copying, printing and storing the amount of information that we are able to access is always problematic.  I agree with CP - laminating takes up so much extra storage particularly with multiple pages.  There is so much information posted by the wonderful forum members both here and on the various websites and blogs, the issue of copying from the blog/website can be time consuming. I have found snippy a wonderful resource - for those of you who think I am speaking another language,  Snippy is a small program that can grab any image from your computer screen. Rather than using print screen and capturing the whole screen, Snippy can be used by dragging the mouse to highlight a section as small or large as you need and copying and pasting just what you need.  The only issue, what you have copied saves as an image so you are unable to edit or make changes.  Apart from it being a valuable resource when preparing work for classes I have used it all the time to copy recipes and info from your various blogs and websites.  Have a play and you will probably find so many uses for the snippy tool - it is a free download, follow this link -

I have attached an example of this screen and posted it for you, have a play when you open the document!!   I hope that I haven't confused anyone, given this was a topic about saving recipes.  Have a wonderful AUSTRALIA DAY.   :)  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:50:37 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 02:28:10 am »
That's amazing Robyn.

CP63 have you also printed off all the comments with each recipe? I'm getting all fired up to do this.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 02:38:44 am »
Forgot to reply to your question CP in my ramblings re Snippy - I too feel the same way re comments.  We often have a conversation about forum members as if they had just left the kitchen - JD, CP, Cookie, CC, Jo, Zan etc, etc (apologies to all those members whose names did not jump onto this page), said that with this dish and so it goes..  I often print a few comments and attached them to the related dish in the recipe books.  As you can imagine no recipe book looks very tidy with bits of paper showing here and there.  :)  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:31:04 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 02:41:46 am »
I have an acrylic recipe book holder so don't have to worry about spills I got it at Howards Storage about $20 fit the TM books perfectly

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 02:45:49 am »
We've got to the stage where the mob say 'who's recipe is this?'  As you say there are certain names that the family know now and they are unseen friends. I find I often remark to the family that things are happening in certain places of the world, they now know that my 'thermomix friends' have mentioned it on the forum.