Author Topic: My review of Thermomix Cooking for your Baby & Toddler  (Read 3974 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My review of Thermomix Cooking for your Baby & Toddler
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:53 am »
I was lucky enough to have been given a copy of this book by Monika, State Manager of TMX here in Adelaide.  She knew Geoff was on pureed foods and thought it would be useful if I was taking food in to him at the nursing home but I don't need to do that as their food is pretty good there and I don't think there is a need for me to interfere with their care of him.

I thought it might be useful to cook things for my almost 5 & 9 year old grand-children though so I spent a couple of nights browsing the recipes and making a list of items I felt suitable.  

The book is written by Louise Fulton Keats (grand-daughter of Margaret Fulton), it has 231 pages and is chokker block full of nutritional information and wonderful recipes broken down into sections.

1) Feeding your child
2) Getting started
3) First foods - around 6 months
4) More tastes & textures - 6-9 months
5) A well rounded diet - 10-12 months
5) Toddlers
6) Family meals

The first recipe on my list didn't appear until page 89 but from that page onwards, I have noted 67 recipes which I would like to make.  The previous recipes were purees and although we have no babies in the family at the moment, this book will be around for many years to come and one day it will be used for my great-grandchildren.  It may even be used for aging relatives who can often end up on pureed food.  I just wish I had my TMX and this book when I used to take such food to my Aunty many years ago.

We quite often have people ask on the forum if there are recipes for 1 or 2 people and to me, this is the perfect book for those living alone.  You can spice up any of the recipes with the addition of curry pastes, chilli or whatever herbs & spices take your fancy although often with older people, plainer food is more digestible and therefore the recipes in this book are perfect.

I have to say, in my honest opinion, that this is the best book HO Australia has produced and I hope to do as many recipes and reviews that I possibly can in coming months.

Here is a list of recipes from this book.

We currently have 2 copies of this book to give away - here are the details of the competition.  You have until the 4th June 2013 to enter.  

If you have the book and would like to give your opinion of it, please feel free to do so in this thread as it is linked to the first posting of the review section of this book.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:51:38 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: My review of Thermomix Cooking for your Baby & Toddler
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:41 am »
Thanks for this review Judy - I had not even considered getting this book since my two kids are beyond the toddler stage, but after reading your review, I think this could be a really, really handy book for lunchbox and snack ideas!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:51:51 am by judydawn »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:55 am »
Absolutely love this book, can see myself using the recipes for many years to come. All seem quick and easy, (it is a TM book, after all!  ;) ) Love it, and love the pics too.
I am glad I have it, and think it is worth the money.  :)  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:52:05 am by judydawn »
:D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:45 am »
What a glowing review of this book Judy.The forum is very fortunate to be given two copies by HO Australia for members to win in the draw.
Good luck everyone who has entered ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:52:15 am by judydawn »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:44 am »
Thanks for this review, given that my kids are nearly past the toddler stage it never occurred to me to purchase this book but I'm liking some of the reviews I have seen - I always need lunchbox and after school ideas!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:52:25 am by judydawn »

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:31 am »
Great review Judy. Like Karen and snappy I too thought I was beyond the toddler stage and this book wasn't for me. But am now considering purchasing it. Thanks for the reviews you have done already.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »
Thank you for the review. Now that my beautiful grand baby is about to start on solids I think I will have to invest in the book.  I. Also thought my days of coking for babies and toddlers were long gone but looking forward to a much easier job this time round with my TMX.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:14 pm »
Judy we all know that you would give us your honest opinion of this book, so thanks.
It certainly sounds as though it is for more than babies and toddlers. I didn't realise,that the author was a grand daughter of Margaret Fulton. That gives the book more credibility as far as I am concerned.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:29 pm »
I'm also very tempted to buy this book. I read the contents list and I can see many recipes that I think would go down well in this house :)

Thanks to everyone who has posted reviews so quickly :-*

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »
Well I hope to win this book but if I don't, I will probably eventually buy it. Thank you for your review Judy.

A book like this should've come out ages ago, since that is the reason the Thermomix was invented - to make baby food.