Author Topic: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy  (Read 124846 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2011, 05:16:59 am »
So glad you enjoyed it.  It is a very tasty and easy meal.  :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »
I have been a fool not to try this recipe before otherwise I would have realized what a gem it is.Of course DH walked by when I putting the sausages in the Varoma and questioned whether "boiled" sausages tasted good  :P I said they were going to be "steamed" He admitted that the meal was very tasty but asked that I remove the sausage skins next time.Thanks Chelsea for a lovely recipe :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2011, 01:47:26 am »
It just takes time to get around to all the brilliant recipes on the forum CC and when we do one that like this, we do wonder why it has taken so long.  It is getting harder and harder to do all those we have earmaked with so many being added but all we can do is plod on and do the best we can.  Glad you finally got around to this one though, it surprises everyone I think.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2011, 02:24:45 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed it CC.  It took me a while to work up the courage to steam sausages. I thought they would taste terrible.  :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:42 am »
I've never been a fan of sausages and don't eat mashed potatoe so have never looked at this thread but with so many responses I couldn't help myself. I might have to give it a go, I'm sure the kids will love it.

Offline kailey47

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2011, 12:26:26 pm »
I made this tonight (with a few adjustments) and it was so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so YUMMY!!!!! Even my girls ate it and they are so dang fussy!!!! My youngest licked the plate she liked it so much.

I could only get Chicken Sausages as all the others had additives so I made these changes

I used Chicken Stock instead of Beef Stock, added an extra clove of garlic and onion.
I diced the onion & garlic on Sp 5 for 3 sec first
I could get swiss mushrooms, so used button but added about 6
I added 100g of butter instead of 50g as I had added so much extra
I also used half sweet potato & half potato

The gravy was so flavoursome I could easily eat just it and the mash as the whole meal (I just may do that with the leftover for lunch tomorrow :P ;) :P)

Offline kailey47

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2011, 12:32:05 pm »
I also wanted to say that we have always boiled our sausages before using them in curries, stir-fry etc, so I haven't seen steaming them as anything weird.

I've been told by a few cooks you should even boil your sausages before frying, the taste is 10 times better. I have never bothered though as we rarely have sausages fried, but it makes a massive difference to the curries and stir fries I make.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2011, 10:27:20 am »
Why it has taken me this long to try this really tasty old favourite I will never know.  Thank you Chelsea for a big winner - I sprinkled herbamore over the vegs in varoma and added a little cheese to the potato when whipping with butterfly......delish!!!!!!!

Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:23 am »
Looks yummy Robyn!  :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:37 am »
Well I finally made this and we all liked the gravy but my son refused to eat more than half the sausage and said he would like them if they were the type used in England!!!! He's never even been to England and the only way we have ever had sausages is on the BBQ - no idea what he is talking about. Sometimes you just can't win, it seems every recipe on here that get great reviews my son doesn't like.

The recipe was great but we probably won't worry about making it again, but may use the gravy recipe to go with other things.

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2011, 10:17:34 am »
You can't win them all.  :)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2011, 11:09:37 am »
Hi Wonder, when I had this problem with my kids I just served it up again but usually with a fantastic new name. I gave the kids fish and called it water chicken as they didn't like fish. They also didn't like pumpkin soup so I poured it over cooked pasta and called it pasta with a creamy orange sauce. They loved it! The trick with some kids is to try, try, try again. With others you just give up and cook something else.  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
Very true.  You could always chop the snags up and mix them through the gravy.  :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
He's a pretty good eater really but he can be very fussy with what he will and won't eat. I'll leave it for a while and try with different sausages and see how he goes.

Offline Jabejak

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2011, 07:51:20 am »
This is cooking away as I type. I am so excited as this is MY favourite meal.