Author Topic: Cream of Celery Soup  (Read 29890 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Cream of Celery Soup
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:26 am »
whats nice about making the roux on the stove is the flour actually "cooks off the floury taste" that you would otherwise get if you added it at the end
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 10:34:47 am »
Nay-nay, there's nothing wrong with making the bechamel firs and then leaving aside before putting the veg into the TM to cook.

Alternatively,  you can mix the flour & butter together and drop small bits in while still cooking near the end then cook another 5 or 10 mins to cook out the flour and add the milk?

The flour and butter mixture is called Beurre manie and useful as a thickener.  But as CP63 says - if you don't cook it long enough it will have a raw flour flavour.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:47 am »
Another idea is to cook a simple flour and butter roux in the microwave and add that without actually making a white sauce.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 07:19:30 am »
I made this again last - very much appreciated on a cold frosty night! I did the vegie mix first but only for 12min then I added the milk, butter and flour and put it on to cook for another 8 mins - worked well! A really good recipe that is now just that bit easier for me.  ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 07:22:13 am »
Thanks for that Nay-Nay,  sounds like a good idea.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:12 am »
Needed more soup today and had everything I needed for this one Chookie.  Made it as per your original recipe so that I can compare it to Nay-nay's version next time.  Lovely soup, thanks for posting it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:24:08 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 08:42:24 am »
Cleaned out the fridge today and remembered MJ called this 'a cream of anything green " soup so made a version using up carrot, parsnip, celery and celeriac.  I made the roux as i like the texture and don't mind a little stiring.