Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8927239 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #34665 on: July 03, 2020, 09:15:45 am »
Thanks for the link Judy.  Not sure when cumquat season is but hopefully one of our supermarkets will sell them when it is.  Will certainly give the recipe a go if I can source some.  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34666 on: July 03, 2020, 10:57:06 pm »
Julie, still not happy with SD loaf.  I want more holes. 
Love the look of the Cumquat Marmalade, Cookie.  I checked out the recipe from the link, very easy and very  quick.   For our taste it has too much sugar but with this recipe it is necessary for it to set. I use the Carrot and Lemon recipe that I posted and just substitute any citrus fruit and leave out the Carrot.  The big issue with Cumquats is the pips.  I boil the Cumquats until very soft and then squash them and remove the pips.  I use the water they have been cooked in and slice the Cumquats. Messy but works.  I do the same with Mandarines.
Julie, you can make Cumquat jelly.  Beautiful flavour, no lumps.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #34667 on: July 03, 2020, 11:48:39 pm »
Well Chookie, if anyone can work out how to do something with bread it's you!   ;D

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #34668 on: July 04, 2020, 12:55:39 pm »
Love cumquat Marmalade, but cumquat jelly sounds even better.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34669 on: July 04, 2020, 11:40:26 pm »
One of the things I miss most from Cherokee is the massive Cumquat tree.  Our youngest GS , when he was 4 said he could count to 100. We sent out with a basket to pick 100 Cumquats. Yes he did it.
Yesterday I mastered the Stone Ground Bio Dynamic flour.  I hate wasting anything as good as this.  It is a soft flour,( for cakes, not bread) I bought it, 20 k, to help the Creswick co- op out. It is a heavy not fine flour.  Adam Liaw’s Mandarin Muffin recipe suits it well but I needed to put 4 teaspoons of baking powder in to get a good rise. We don’t eat a lot of cake so this went to DD and neighbours. I won’t post the recipe as I have changed it to suit this flour.  But it is a very easy recipe and well suited for adaption to TMX.
Thanks Julie, Cookie seems to get wonderful holes in her bread.  Might have to come over and get a Master Class from her.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #34670 on: July 05, 2020, 09:13:39 am »
LOL.
That particular bread is the only one I get holes in Chookie. My everyday SD is solid and quite heavy.

This morning I did some yoghurt using Mad Millie starter. Years ago I bought a yoghurt maker and it never worked for me. I read that if you used that, it would work. So I will know tomorrow morning.
I'm also attempting to make some feta cheese. I will know how that is going tomorrow afternoon. I tried not to put any germs into it.
I also made some Caramilk cupcakes. I licked the spoon and they tasted lovely. I haven’t iced them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:01:21 pm by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #34671 on: July 06, 2020, 04:49:25 am »
Some nice cooking happening on here.  I have mostly being making bread but today I made some Cornflake Cookies the old way.  The recipe was one of my mums.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34672 on: July 06, 2020, 05:28:01 am »
We have the plumber here. He is doing a lot of small jobs and one very big one. I cooked a roast chicken for lunch and made a pear sponge Pud. 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #34673 on: July 06, 2020, 07:14:09 am »
Nice little cupcakes Cookie  :D

I must have slept funny last night as I woke with an aching neck and shoulders.  Thought my walk would loosen them up - it didn't  :(.  Panadol didn't do much, so DH gave me a good massage in that area which really helped.  Luckily our meals are already made so am just going to relax for the rest of the day.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34674 on: July 06, 2020, 08:53:20 am »
I’ve had the same problem for a few days Julie and I thought it must have been the way I slept too, I was still able to do the weights at gym though without too much trouble. Lucky you having a DH to massage the spot, it’s nice when husbands step up to the plate to help.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34675 on: July 06, 2020, 12:32:06 pm »
JulieO I feel for you and Judy too. I have degenerative arthritis in my neck and it can be very painful at times. It wakes me up if I sleep too high on the pillow. My spine is degenerating faster than I like it doing. It must be hereditary as both my brothers have it and my Dad suffered badly too.
Take care ladies.

I made another SD loaf out of the book I bought. It’s in the fridge overnight. I also started some feta yesterday. I’m thrilled that it worked out. It made quite a lot. It’s like Persian feta without being so salty.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:35:46 pm by cookie1 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34676 on: July 06, 2020, 01:30:07 pm »
Sorry to hear that cookie, that’s not something I’d like to be diagnosed with.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34677 on: July 07, 2020, 08:05:28 am »
I cooked my SD from the fridge today. I’m just having a slice for afternoon tea.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34678 on: July 08, 2020, 02:30:10 am »
Those pains are awful.  Do you think it is the cold weather?
Not cooking much today.  Just melted some chocolate with cream and poured over rice bubble slice.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34679 on: July 08, 2020, 04:59:19 am »
I went to Costco yesterday and couldn’t resist buying myself a kg pack of baby rainbow carrots and I like to cook the whole pack if I have to use the oven.  I cooked up sweet potatoes, pumpkin, just enough broccolini for lunch and a bunch of beetroot as well.  At the end of the cooking time for most of the veggies (not the beetroot) I added a piece of Barramundi from the 600g piece I bought there too. A delicious lunch so I enjoyed a glass of wine as well.