Author Topic: Coconut oil  (Read 99238 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Coconut oil
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:51 am »
Thanks earthmumma for that info  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:55 am »
Whilst in the health shop today I bought a 300g jar of coconut oil - don't ask me why but I had remembered there being some discussion on it.  Came on here tonight and found the topic active so have read it from page 1 to see if there was anything in there that I had intended to make.  Couldn't find anything so now I have to work out what to do with it.  I had tried to get coconut flour for some of Chookies recipes but they had none.  I find visiting a health food shop blows the budget quite easily.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 12:32:26 pm »
Yes, I think their mark up must be at least 1000%. We used to have a good health food shop locally but it has closed down. They really knew what they were talking about and were helpful without being pushy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:25:09 am by quirkycooking »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:17 pm »
Oh thank you so much Jo - that is a wonderful choice.  Will spend some time tomorrow browsing all those recipes to see what I can do first.  :-* :-*

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »
Yum, that sounds good, earth mumma!
Crone, I bought that coconut oil, and I don't think it's the proper good stuff!!  It's very 'generic' tasting - tastes like nothing - and every organic cold-pressed coconut oil I've tasted has a little bit of a coconut flavour (not too strong, but you can taste it)... I'm thinking it's probably not cold-pressed.  I'm not going to use it in food, I think I'll just make soap with it, and stick with the Spiral brand of coconut oil!

I am very fussy about the sourcing of anything I eat or use in cooking - stopped buying dried "exotic" fruits from China several years ago after reading Hannah Holmes book about dust -  and the coconut oil I use is "virgin, cold-pressed" and certified organic. 
One of my friends here in town who owns a small bakery and café bought a tub of cheaper coconut oil and returned it immediately after opening it because it had a rancid odor.  He had been and is still using the Nutiva because it is certified organic and he can order it direct from Nutiva in 5 gallon buckets.  (He uses a lot - the only vegetable oil he uses in baking.) 

I use both Nutiva
as well as  Tropical Traditions Gold Label - they have a distributor in http://www.tropical-traditions-australia.com/, or at least it says so on the brochure that comes with every jar, and I like both equally and have both on hand at all times.     
The Tropical Traditions oil has a bit more of a coconut flavor and aroma, which is very nice, but there are some dishes in which the flavor does come through and I haven't noticed it with the Nutiva. 

I actually use the TT on my face and neck - I transfer some to a small, wide jar that I keep in the bathroom - and I walk around with that pleasant aroma surrounding me for the first hour each day. 

I also add a generous tablespoon or so to smoothies and other whipped drinks.  I think it has helped with my weight loss during the past year+, slow but steady weight loss which I had not been able to achieve in the past ten  years. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:17:20 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2010, 11:52:46 pm »
Isn't coconut oil wonderful?!!  I use it on my lips too, as a lip gloss, or for chapped lips.  If you have dry, itchy skin it's good for that too.  But like Andi says, you've got to have the proper stuff - extra virgin cold pressed organic!  I haven't seen the tropical traditions brand - must have a look.  Thanks Andi.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 12:38:19 am »
JD,  don't panic about the coconut flour.   If you want to make the waffles, just replace the coconut flour with plain flour.   However the chocolate cake ( with lots of eggs) was specially formulated for the coconut flour.   I think the message with the oil is that you can replace oil or butter with the coconut oil  without any major problems.  It has a very slight coconut flavor.

The 2 brands that I have are Niulife and Melrose.  Both organic,  and Niulife says Extra Virgin.   Melrose says Cold Pressed.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 01:01:27 am »
 Mine is Melrose Chookie and I will try those waffles.  My waffle machine has sat unused for a couple of years and if I don't use it I may as well give it to someone who will. At times DH struggles to eat his main meal let alone put dessert in front of him too so it means I am eating most desserts on my own. The neighbours I am friendliest with are both diabetic so I can't even take excess over to them most of the time and Mum is now eating inside the retirement village facility so her needs have diminished too.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 01:02:35 am »
waffles freeze well don't they?

i tried to buy coconut flour yesterday with no success
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 01:36:23 am »
Jo, I have printed out all those recipes you suggested for the coconut oil - should have bought a litre of the stuff  ;) ;) Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction - love your blog.  I have now started a complete file of your recipes so I know exactly where to go to find things.  Quite a few members of this forum now have their own personal file in this house - what a great job you all do of sharing your lovely recipes with the rest of the world via your blogs and this forum.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 02:18:10 am »
Thanks JD - with all your lovely recipes and beautiful photos, maybe YOU had better start a blog!!  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2010, 03:26:38 am »
Thanks JD - with all your lovely recipes and beautiful photos, maybe YOU had better start a blog!!  ;)
Jo, I think you have got me mixed up with the clever JulieO. Not up to that stage myself yet unfortunately.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:00 am »
Jd,  the cooked waffles freeze well.  Just pop into the toaster to re heat.   Just dont over cook the ones for the freezer

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 05:09:47 am »
Jo, I think you have got me mixed up with the clever JulieO. Not up to that stage myself yet unfortunately.
Oops! Silly me!  I'm sure you could do it too!  :D