Author Topic: Scottish Shortbread  (Read 28046 times)

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
Scottish Shortbread
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:03 pm »
I love shortbread.  I have tried many recipes but my most favourite one is from The Australian Women's Weekly.  I have converted it for us Thermomixers and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.  It is SO easy to make and takes just a few moments to have it prepared for the oven.  

Scottish Shortbread

Makes 16 pieces

Ingredients:

50g white rice (raw)
75g sugar
250g softened butter
335g flour
2 tbs sugar (extra)

Preparation:

1.  Preheat oven to 150 degrees.

2.  Place rice into  *: and mill on speed 10 for 30 secs.   Remove and set aside.

3.  Position butterfly in  *: and cream butter and sugar together, speed 4 for 10 secs.  Scrape down  *: and repeat, speed 4 for 10 secs.

4.  Remove butterfly.  Add in rice flour and flour and  :: for 1 min.  Scrape down  *: and  :: for 1 min.

5.  Take some cling film measuring approximately 30cm x 50cm and place upon bench.  Turn out mixture onto cling film and shape into a log.  Fold the cling film lengthways around log and roll backwards and forwards on the countertop into a cylinder shape, about 50 cm long and 5cm in diameter.

6.  Using a sharp knife, slice shortbread into approximately 1.5cm circles and place upon a baking tray lined with baking paper.

7.  Sprinkle the extra sugar over the top of the shortbread and bake for 40 mins, checking after about 30 mins.  Shortbreads should not be "browned" but they should have a little tinge colour, to ensure their crispness to the bite.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Naturally, the shortbread can be formed in the traditional circular shape, with pinched edges.  I prefer this "cookie" style of shortbread as it is easier to store and serve.  Even better with a nice cup of tea!!

Members' comments
Vivaroo - I've fully embraced Faturday and first made my butter, and now the shortbread has 2 mins left in the oven...
Thanks for the recipe Lee, but don't you dare post a recipe for millionaires shortbread, or at least wait until next Faturday.

Judydg - If you roll the shortbread in demerara sugar before you slice & bake it, it is extra yummy (I should know -I'm scottish!!)

Vivaroo - I wanted to make some biccies to bring into work tomorrow, well really I wanted to eat shortbread again but it's less fattening if I share.   When I was having a cup of Earl Grey yesterday I wondered about flavouring biscuits, and found this has been done before!   

Blitz 2 tbsps of your favourite blend with the sugar/or rice, I also added a touch of vanilla essence. It's been suggested some orange rind goes well too but I wanted to try just tea first.   I used a heavenly blend called French Earl Grey that I bought near Byron Bay, every cup tastes and smells like holiday. 
I know, plain traditional shortbread is still the best, but I can't resist playing, can you?
They were nice and well received, even the Scottish lass said they were good.  No one could guess the mystery ingredient so it's quite subtle.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:16:39 am by judydawn »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Scottish Shortbread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »
Will be trying these today for sure!. I have been rolling and slicing too, so much easier and faster
Have you ever frozen the dough lee?. I bought a cookie press i wonder if they will work ,i must try.
Ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:38 pm »
Thanks for that, Lee.  Looks like that is morning tea taken care of!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:38:33 pm »
I looove shortbread and have been meaning to try the recipe in EDC, but I sold my EDC on eBay for $600   ;)

I get a little freaked out when I see 250g butter, I know I know that's why shortbread is so delicious.  All the good recipes have too much fat & sugar so I spend more time reading and drooling and rarely make these.  Maybe I'll declare the last Saturday of each month Faturday and just go for it.  Who's with me, happy Faturday to one and all!!!!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »
Thanks for that Lee, did the WW recipe make their own rice flour?
I think you have to be a consultant for thermomix, straight into converting all these wonderful recipes.
Ps how do you stay so slim?
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:11 am »
Nice to see you have some WW books amongst your collection Lee - being Australian you probably grew up with them. 
I'm like Vivaroo, have never made shortbread because of all the butter in them but then again, I rarely made cakes or biscuits at all pre-TMX days because of the weight thing - if they weren't in the house I couldn't eat them  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:48:01 am »
I love the look of this recipe and will certainly give it a go.  Hope it rains next week so I can be inside and not in the garden ;D ;D ;D

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:51:39 am »
Stay so slim?  I think Thermie is responsible for a little roll that seems to be manifesting around my middle.  Thermie and I need to have a talk about it today!  But thank you for the compliment anyway!

Yes, I have almost every AWW cookbook and I love them.  The AWW certainly don't make their own rice flour.  It is not readily available here in Germany either, so that was another motivation when purchasing my Thermolove was the ability to make rice flour at home, rather than flying 1.5 hours west to London to pick up a pack!!!  See Ed, Thermomix really does save us money!!!!!

Don't worry about the 250g of butter - make the shortbreads, enjoy them and share the fat with others.  It would only be evil if you ate the entire batch yourself in one sitting.  They do keep beautifully for almost a week. Everything in moderation my Thermodarlings!!!!

Bake and enjoy,

xxx

;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:58:16 am »
what aussie doesnt love AWW...i too have a huge collection and buy more everytime im on my travels  :)

lee thanks for the laugh....you would make a great consultant!! dont know how you do it iether being the foreigner so to speak...after 11 years I still have trouble getting through to some people lol!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 08:07:03 am »
I've fully embraced Faturday and first made my butter, and now the shortbread has 2 mins left in the oven...
Thanks for the recipe Lee, but don't you dare post a recipe for millionaires shortbread, or at least wait until next Faturday  ;)

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:47:44 am »
Last week, actually on the day Themie arrived into my life, I made Chocolate Brownies.  I had friends coming over dinner last Friday night and I really was pressured for time and whilst I was shopping in the supermarket, I saw a packet mix (yes, a packet mix) of Brownies.  I bought it and whipped it up and served them as my own creation - naturally.. as you do!

I was caught out though.  We are going to the same friends tonight and she sent me a message asking for those "delicious brownies".  Well was I sprung out well and good!!!  As fate would have it though, on another forum that links to my iphone and Facebook, I received not two days ago, a TMX recipe for chocolate brownies.  Phew!!! This time I can really call them "home made" without having that slight pang of guilt that usually accompanies a "white lie".  Oww!!!  Guilt is a terrible thing, isn't it???

I will try them out this afternoon and let post the recipe.  Don't worry everyone - make them next "Faturday".

xxx

;D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 09:42:07 am »
Oh I do love shorbread, I made the EDC ones last week. Will have to give these a go to compare. Thanks Lee for another great recipe.

And Vivaroo $600  :o. lol.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
It is an absolute pleasure.  I really hope you enjoy them

xxx

;D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 11:05:52 am »
Thanks Lee - Like you we also love shortbread.  Can't wait to make them.

Offline Judydg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »
If you roll the shortbread in demerara sugar before you slice & bake it, it is extra yummy (I should know -I'm scottish!!)