Author Topic: Recipe Review: TMX Coconut & White Choc Mousse  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Depome

• View Profile
Recipe Review: TMX Coconut & White Choc Mousse
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:04 am »
Name of Recipe: Thermomix Coconut & White Chocolate Mousse, featured in the Valentine's Day e-mail newsletter

Number of People: I think 10, but the recipe didn't specify, like the others  :-)) But it does tell you to cut 10 circles in the sponge and place them in to glasses.

Ingredients:
Sponge:
2 eggs
70g caster sugar
70g self-raising flour

Mousse:
270g coconut milk (I used cream because it was already open)
10g gelatine
500g white chocolate
100g cream cheese (I used light)
670g thickened cream (I had to use about 40g lite/unwhippable cream)

Syrup:
40g boiling water
40g caster sugar

170g frozen fruit, e.g. raspberries

Preparation:
How to make the sponge
1. Insert Butterfly and add eggs and caster sugar into TM bowl. Whip for 2 minutes on speed 3. Remove Butterfly.
2. Set dial to closed lid position, add flour and fold through for 10-15 seconds on Interval speed.
3. Spread flat on a greased baking tray. Pre-heat oven to 180°C and bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.

How to make the mousse
1. Place coconut milk and gelatine into TM bowl and cook for 6 minutes at 50°C on speed 3.
2. Add white chocolate and mix for 3 minutes on speed 6.
3. Add cream cheese and mix for 1 minute on speed 6. Allow to cool, but not set.
4. Insert Butterfly. In a clean TM bowl, whip cream for 10-20 seconds on speed 4.
5. Gently fold the cream through the mixture.

How to assemble
1. Evenly distribute half the mousse in the bottom third of each cup.
2. Spread half the raspberries on top.
3. Cut 10 round pieces of sponge and place on top of the raspberries.
4. To make the syrup, dissolve the sugar in boiling water. Allow to cool then pour on top of the sponge pieces.
5. Place the remaining mousse on top then the remaining raspberries. Allow to set in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours.

Recipe taken from Chef Laurent Caters for Families www.cheflaurent.com.au

Photos:
Half way:

Sponge layer added (use a cookie cutter!)

Finished:

Tips/Hints:
I made 7 mousses with the full recipe above, and put them in plastic 'picnicware' tumblers from Woolworths, they hold about 400ml. They were enormous really because the mousse is so rich. I think smaller ramekins, and mousses half the size would have been much nicer.

You need to whip the cream rapidly as the rest of the mousse sets very quickly with the gelatine in it, and then you're left with some chunks that you can't do much about as you have to fold the cream through rather than stir. Better to stir the mousse quickly before adding the cream.

Recipe doesn't call for the cream to be whipped for very long at all. I did have a little bit of light cream in mine which would've reduced the whipping, but I did also whip more than recipe stated. The mousse was pretty heavy overall, not light and fluffy as most people would prefer I'm sure. I'm not comparing to supermarket yoghurty mousses either, but others that I've made. Add that to large portions and you feel bloated just thinking about it! I did use coconut cream too which wouldn't have helped. I'd suggest you whip the cream for longer.

Re: coconut cream... when the mousse was at room temp I could taste the coconut, but I thought it was lost by the time it had been chilled, which is odd given it was cream that I'd used, rather than the milk stated in the recipe. I think I would top the mousse with a little shredded coconut next time, might help the flavour that little bit more.

The idea is great, and the flavours are in there, but I think a little tweaking is needed to make the most of this mousse, to make it lighter and smaller.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review: TMX Coconut & White Choc Mousse
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:39:39 am »
Depome, was the sponge layer any good?  If so, it might be worth salvaging from this recipe and using it in another eg lamingtons, trifles.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:00:35 am »
I hope you don't mean removing from the bowls  :-\ We all tucked into them but didn't get much further than half way. Sponge is not removable!

The sponge component is fine, but the same as any other 'proper' sponge. It's all in the baking in my experience with proper sponge. I find it really hard to bake without drying the edges but this wasn't bad (first time I've done it in this oven).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:34:59 am »
No, what I meant was that part of the recipe was successful.  Seems the rest wasn't up to scratch.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:39:19 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:48:19 pm »
Think I'd make the syrup before whipping the cream and then set aside before doing the gelatine bit.

I have made something similar from another forum - think that the cream cheese may make it heavier as the one I made with white chocolate and cream and gelatine was light and luscious
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.