Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 141185 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »
I made a batch of butter this morning using "double cream" that is, very thick heavy cream that was put through a French press to concentrate it.  I estimate that it is well over 50% butterfat - it's what I start with when I make regular clotted cream.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the butterfly strains a bit getting through this very thick stuff so I "churned" it for about 30 seconds at speed 4 WITHOUT the butterfly and the put the butterfly in position and slowly turned the speed up to 4.
Within a minute I had a good volume of whipped cream and after another one-minute-ten-seconds, the butter had separated.

I had less buttermilk than usual and it took five washings with ice water to get to the point that it was "clean" enough to begin working with the paddles.

I don't know what went wrong with your batch, cgonsalv, but I don't think it had anything to do with the butterfat content. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2011, 11:44:34 pm »
Tried to make the butter again with a different brand 51% fat as my supermarket had run out of the 35% fat one ... no luck at all.  ??? It is still going.  Has anyone had luck with the higher fat creams?

as odd as this may sound... if you have the butterfly in the wrong place (i.e. between the wider space on the blades and not the smaller space where is is designed to sit) you won't make butter. I had a customer that tried and tried to make butter and we couldn't work out why she wasn't succeeding ... until her friend went there to watch her and found she was doing just that ... putting the butterfly in the wrong way. Has never looked back since.

just something to consider  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:21:41 am by faffa_70 »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2011, 12:37:39 am »
You learn something new on here everyday.  I didn't realise there was a wrong way to put the butterfly on, will have to be more observant in future.  Thanks Faffa for pointing this out.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2011, 07:55:23 am »
I'm sure this has already been written somewhere in this post but here goes anyway.
cgonsalv, are you aware that if you don't keep an eye on the butter/cream it can remix back into cream?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2011, 08:49:01 am »
Hi Cookie,
I think that is pretty much what happened it kept on going from butter to cream and vice versa. 
I think what threw me was that there was almost no butter milk, and did not make that sound it had made previously so I did not realise that it had become butter very, very quickly. 
At the end of the session, I just poured what I had back into the cream containers with a view to using the cream for something.  I was just going to try and and make something with the cream in the 2 containers and amusingly the 'stuff' in both containers is solid and tastes close enough to butter like.  I am going to keep it out and see what happens. 
I feel like a scientist  ;)
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2011, 01:41:02 pm »
Thank you all for helping me making my first batch of butter :D  This was so much fun!  We have some dairy goats due to kid this spring and I'm hoping to make some goat milk butter then.
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2011, 03:22:26 pm »
I'm glad this thread has been bumped up as I hadn't made any butter for ages, so it was a reminder.  Made some today with a little salt added and it was much nicer than I remembered    :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2011, 02:43:45 am »
Just wondering if anyone has tried quirkyJo's way of making spreadable butter; adding equal quantities of oil and water to the butter?  I'm intrigued to know how it tastes.  ???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2011, 03:00:18 am »
Me too Julie, I wrote it out the other night and will try it as soon as I've finished using the butter and margarine I have.  Loved the fact that it can be used in everything though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:11 am »
Zan made some just a day or two ago - see http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=320.5055 (sorry, in a rush and haven't got time to look up the correct procedure).   -  JD, (from a puzzled Marina) how did you miss that??  Mind you, I guess Zan didn't actually say how it tasted, so maybe that's why you didn't follow up on that one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:56:08 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2011, 11:42:23 am »
Thankyou for your replies  ;D  I think I'll just have to try it, maybe tomorrow if I go out to get some fresh cream and oil.  ;D

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »
The best tip I got for the butterfly is always to the leftvof the Thermo symbol.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »
Here's the link to Quirky Jo's spreadable butter recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:05 am »
The best tip I got for the butterfly is always to the leftvof the Thermo symbol.

It should actually be to the right of the Thermo symbol  ;) The blade with the symbol on it should be on your left and the butterfly inserted in gap between the two blades.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:50 am »
Thanks for that, my consultant didn't tell me about that but I heard it at a class.( cause I have trouble seeing which space is smaller) haven't had any problems yet however I haven't managed to find any cheap cream to make butter yet. You have just saved me from disaster ,thanks.
Denise