Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 141128 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »
lol yes on the base part...the symbols dont actually line up or anything just symbol on butterly facing the symbol on the blade ie on the same side...so much easier to remember not that i have ever had a problem but its good to know.
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2011, 11:25:03 pm »
So there is! I had to look twice to find it - there are two symbols on one side of the butterfly, but very faint - feel a bit like a couple of scratches when you run your fingers over it. Thanks Frozzie.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2011, 07:28:37 am »
 ;D

Offline Sassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »
Thanks so much for starting the butterfly position discussion Faffa, and to Frozzie I love the kissing analogy.  I had no idea there even was a right way.  But this does make sense as sometimes when using the butterfly, it comes off the blade and has to be repositioned again (usually with risotto and mash).  I hadn't ever noticed the symbol on the blade before, and looked about four times to find the symbol on the butterfly.  Quick question though, how do you know how to insert the butterfly if the blades are covered with food (eg risotto or mash), or do you just scrape each blade to find the symbol?
Sassafrass
Sassafrass

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »
if you look at "the cross" in your blades you will see they are not evenly spaced between. there are a couple of blades that are closer together than the other two - put your butterfly between the smallest gap. Usually you can see the blades to know where to put them, but if you can't you will need to scrape a bit of food off. (this is the method I use, as I never knew about the symbol until just recently)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:25:31 pm by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:48 pm »
Thanks so much for starting the butterfly position discussion Faffa, and to Frozzie I love the kissing analogy.  I had no idea there even was a right way.  But this does make sense as sometimes when using the butterfly, it comes off the blade and has to be repositioned again (usually with risotto and mash).  I hadn't ever noticed the symbol on the blade before, and looked about four times to find the symbol on the butterfly.  Quick question though, how do you know how to insert the butterfly if the blades are covered with food (eg risotto or mash), or do you just scrape each blade to find the symbol?
Sassafrass

That's why I suggest you find and use the small gap method. If you get used to that you can also tell if you have it in place by a quick twist of the butterfly. It moves very little compared to if it is on the larger gap side of the blades  ;)

Have a play with it in an empty bowl and have a good look at the distance between each blade and you will be able to see the difference (hopefully)  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2011, 02:36:09 am »
Away from blades and back to butter!
I've got the technique down fine, using supermarket pouring cream, although I'd really like to make some organic butter.  Now obviously I need organic cream to make organic butter  8)  Do any of the West Australian ladies know a local source for organic pouring cream please?  I've tried the Boatshed in Cottesloe but they don't do it, although their dairy section is very good.  Any suggestions gratefully received!  ;)
Thanks,
Miss G.
Mother of 11 year old son and wife of the bread-maker operator

Offline Winn

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:51 pm »
Tried making butter from 600g cream from supermarket, it was an utter failure.  Luckily also had in a ltre (cost either £1.69 or £1.89) container of cream from costco.  It made butter in about 3 minutes then rinsed 3 times and tastes really good. Left about 1 and 1/2 inches of cream in carton.
Weighed amount of butter and had approx 600g., so cost effective as packet of butter(250g) approx £1.60. Both lots used were double cream.   Butter going down very well with Isi's Portugese bread.  Will be definitely making again but will try adding salt or herbs next time. Split into 4 containers and froze some.

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »
Havent finished the thread yet (about 6 pages through) but does this wrk with German cream? we don't have double cream
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2011, 02:41:47 pm »
Havent finished the thread yet (about 6 pages through) but does this wrk with German cream? we don't have double cream

Hi there,
You don't need double cream to make butter. I always use pure pouring/whipping cream and it works perfectly.  Pure cream means not thickened with gelatine.  Some cream is sold as thickened cream and it is thickened with gelatine, rather than being naturally high in milk fat.  Happy butter-making!  ;)

Miss Grunge
Australia

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2011, 02:50:33 pm »
Thank. Most of the cream here is 30% and I wasn't sure that was enough so I grabbed a 36% one I was lucky to find (sadly 3G was missing in the supermarket so I didn't see your response in time). Particularly as I found that the Indian cookbook talked about double cream.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

Offline missgrunge

• Miss Grunge from Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2011, 03:11:37 pm »
Thank. Most of the cream here is 30% and I wasn't sure that was enough so I grabbed a 36% one I was lucky to find (sadly 3G was missing in the supermarket so I didn't see your response in time). Particularly as I found that the Indian cookbook talked about double cream.

Have you tried the Butter Chicken recipe in the Indian Cookbook yet?  It is to-die-for  :D Much better than the version in the EDC.
Happy cooking,
Miss G.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »
tarasis in france its just farm fresh cream with high fat content, here liquid cream doesnt work just whips up like chantilly and doesnt do much else..thought it might be similar in germany???  often its the cream in the fridge section ...i am trying to source fresh cream from a local farm  but havent found one yet...buying it at the markets i find very expensive and not worth the cost of making butter with...

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »
tarasis in france its just farm fresh cream with high fat content, here liquid cream doesnt work just whips up like chantilly and doesnt do much else..thought it might be similar in germany???  often its the cream in the fridge section ...i am trying to source fresh cream from a local farm  but havent found one yet...buying it at the markets i find very expensive and not worth the cost of making butter with...

Yeah it's the same here, cream is really rather poor for whipping, my wife usually sticks a packet mix of stiffener in to help. I'm going to try the Bio supermarket tomorrow to see what they have (and the town market on Saturday) but I did find a 36% whipping cream bottled from a localish farm that might do the trick. At €1.99 for 500ml it would still be cheaper than the equivalent of 400g of butter and I can make it slightly salted (something my wife and I miss from UK butter)

Will report how it goes.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2011, 05:15:52 pm »
I have found a 40 percent farm cream but its not overly cheap and forget organic or bio here as it comes in tiny tubs and is quite expensive when you compare it to butter and pity you dont have access to a french supermarket as there is heaps of salted butter here...thankyoiu brittany and normandy...the best butter i have ever tasted was from bretagne (or brittany) from a local farm and it was divine salted homemade butter ...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

good luck with your searching and hope you find something good for a good price!!  ;D