Author Topic: Lemon Cleaning Concentrate from the UK Thermomix site  (Read 99467 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Cleaning Concentrate from the UK Thermomix site
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2011, 09:26:53 am »
I just tip a bit in straight from the jar Kell.  Whatever goes in is the right amount  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2011, 09:32:30 am »
Just have to find some appropriate containers.

Wondering since its been a while since a lot of people have been using it - whats the overall consensis on the way it cleans? Would you make it again? I was thinking of making a batch and putting in a squeezy sauce bottle - is this a good container for the consistency?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 10:53:46 am »
I only make it when I have lots of spare lemons CP and do still use my Gumption for troublesome spots but as an all rounder cleaner, it is good and still smells nice after months (if not used up by then).  I tested it in a squeeze bottle, this one is from a cheap jack store and is not so flexible as those you buy your tomato sauce in - they would be better if you have any of them lying around.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »
my husband pruned our lemon tree  yesturday
 he had to do some work around it  and unfortunately it had lots of green lemons on it
 so l wonder if it would work the same if l used the green lemons 

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 01:31:29 pm »
you're quick and funny JD  ;D It looks like it would be a good consistency though to squirt on rather than pour from a jar.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »
Wondering since its been a while since a lot of people have been using it - whats the overall consensis on the way it cleans? Would you make it again? I was thinking of making a batch and putting in a squeezy sauce bottle - is this a good container for the consistency?
[/quote]

I wasn't impressed. It was too 'oily'. I much prefer bi-carb soda. Ended up chucking it. I'd rather zest and juice the lemons and freeze it.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 12:38:33 am »
Nazar, there seems to be conflicting information on whether green lemons will ripen once picked but have a read of this.  I'm sure green lemons would be quite OK for making this cleaning concentrate but not for drinking maybe. It isn't going to cost you anything to experiment though.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »
tried this today  with half ripe lemons [ skin was half green and yellow ]
l also added the olive oil like suggested  in thread to make hand wash
but the oil/ lemon mix kept on separating and would not stay together
has anyone tried this for a handwash
l would love to know if you have   thanks

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »
I've never added any oil to mine nazar, use it purely for cleaning, adding to the washing machine and lately have been putting a good squirt in the dishwasher (not in one of the containers but over the plates etc). I don't use a rinse aid.

Offline Sassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 02:23:43 am »
Hi Nazar,
I've currently got a handwash (oil added) that I put into an old soap pump bottle.  Mine separates as well but if you give it a real hard shake before using they come back together again, and easily pump through.  It is quite oily as a hand wash, but great for getting rid of smelly hands.  Use this hand wash in summer though as in winter (when I first used mine) the lemon cleaner sets harder and clogs up the pump.

I think this cleaner is better used as is, for kitchens and bathrooms.  So for those curious about whether to make this or not give it a go.  I love the fresh smell it leaves, and its great for cleaning, especially for the kids toilet (two little boys can make a huge mess)
Sass
Sassafrass

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 06:42:35 am »
hi sassafrass
 did you make your hand wash or buy it
 if you made it  could you please tell me how you made it
as l would like to try and make one to
 l love the smell from the lemon cleaner too and wipe lots of stuff done with it
thank you

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »
Hi judy
I had seen this recipe in Journal of a French Foodie
I've just noticed that you also made this.

I made it a couple of weeks ago.
It smells nice
I am using it to wash the dishes mostly.
I diluite the concentrate with my usual liquid detergent and a little hot water in a bowl and then wet my sponge with it
Before that, I was adding a bit vinegar instead of this concentrate
I didn't see much difference between two.

You were saying that you used it also in washing machine. As an addition to your usual detergent right?
Have you also used some cloth softener and water softener?

Have you ever tried it in the dishwasher?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2012, 08:53:47 am »
Farfallina, I just tip about a 1/4 of a cup into the washing machine water along with my home made powder (not always, just when I feel like it).  I never use fabric softener, I fill the fabric softener container with vinegar  - have done so for many years and this washing machine is now going on 18 years old and I have never had to call a repairman out to it.

I do the same with the dishwasher, I have it in a plastic bottle and just squirt it over the top of the dishes in addition to the normal amount of dishwashing powder.  I don't use rinse aid in my dishwasher, again I use vinegar.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:39:38 pm by judydawn »

Offline Kingsvilletess

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:17 am »
I've made jars and jars of this stuff with the ugly lemons off Mum's tree that nobody wants to cook with, and I love it.  We used it to clean the oven, and while it still needed a bit of elbow grease at least I knew that if I missed rinsing a bit it wouldn't release a cloud of toxic fumes into whatever I cooked next.

It also did wonders getting the smell out of our thermos after a batch of yoghurt made with goat's milk.  It set beautifully, and probably tasted exactly as it was supposed to, but sadly that wasn't quite to my taste, and the smell lingered in the thermos until some lemon paste and a really thorough scrub.  I also throw a splodge in when I do a load of dishcloths, tea towels etc.  A lot of them are microfibre so I can't use high temperatures, but this stuff seems to help the detergent to cut through the grease and leave them really clean.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »

@judy, thank you for your quick reply as always.
I am using vinegar to clean my kettle. Here the water is so hard! I fill 3/4 of the kettle with water, I boil the water, I fill the remaining 1/4 with vinegar, leave it overnight (in the balcony cos it smells!) In the morning I throw vinegar-water. Boil water and throw it too. Rinse and its limescale-free
So you add vinegar in washing machine instead of fabric softener and in dishwasher instead of rinse aid...
What do you the about the strong smell of vinegar?

@Kingsvilletess, thank you for your feedback
Today I've been thinking just the same thing while I was trying this lemon concentrate to clean the oven! :)
When I use detergents, I always try to rinse it well and wash away all the chemical stuff. Rinse and wipe many times
Nevertheless I always smell some detergent when I start the oven for the first time after cleaning which makes me feel very uncomfortable!