Author Topic: Preserving jars  (Read 8740 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Preserving jars
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »
I am so excited that our local "$2" shop is now selling really nice (and very cheap) preserving jars. For our personal use I just reuse any glass jars I have but the ones on sale are great to use for gifts etc. Have stocked up on quite a few in case they all get sold.  Guess I'll be cranking out all those jams and preserves again when more fruit comes into season!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Preserving jars
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »
Merlin I love preserving as it takes pressure off the freezer. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:02:50 pm »
I'm just starting to get "into" preserving, jams and jellies, etc. but finding jars that I like is always a challenge.  I'm very envious of you.  There has been a site mentioned on here a couple of times over the past year or so (I thinkit is called Plasden or something like that) that sells all sorts of bottles and jars so if I get stuck I can always find that company and order from them.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:12:52 am »
I echo the sentiments...lucky you! It would seem they should be easy to find as alot of people buy jams, chutneys etc but I guess they probly just chuck the jars out or at best into their recycle... :-))
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I try and recycle jars, so I can make jams and chutneys.

I have a big box at the moment waiting to be filled.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:49 am »
I keep jars too, but since having my TM I dont really buy much in jars so would love to purchase some for $2.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:15 am »
there is a great place that does mail order or you can go in if you live in Perth they have jars and packaging in every shapes and size. I use a lovely 100 ml hex shape jar with a gold lid and it looks great with lemon butter in it. as I am getting my Tm today.......yippee I will now be making TM lemon butter. as I am new I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the name of the place that sells jars!  If I am let me know and I will tell all.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:36:11 am »
forgot to say the price, the ones I buy work out to be about 60 cents each and I usually get a carton with a couple of others to save on freight fees.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:46:50 am »
Any danger of you sharing the name of the place / site with us, Greyhoundmum?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:16 am »
The small jars I bought for 50 cents and the 1 litre large ones were $2 each so even though it is a $2 shop it basically means a bargain store
I will try the online ones too. Thanks.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:23:10 am »
Greyhound mum, i live in perth.

Would love the deatils.
Thanks

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 04:35:44 am »
I have hundreds of fowlers jars of all different sizes.  They have all been given to me over the years from my Mum and friends elderly relatives you no longer preserve.  I really should sort them all out.  At the moment they are all packed into odd boxes in the shed and also filling my draws in the pantry.  Just need to get busy and start preserving again.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:52 am »
Keiramax- you're so lucky. My mum had a Fowlers set up as well as all of the jars etc but she ended up passing it on to a relative. I wish she'd kept it all- she had all of the different jar sizes and lids. I love making batches of things and preserving them. I am still going through jams and jellies that I made last year.  It is so therapeutic to know what is going in to them as well as knowing that you made them yourself.
Albert Einstein

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:38 am »
If that place Greyhoundmum was refering to would freight I would definately be interested... will you please share the details greyhoundmum?? :)
:D

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 03:34:36 pm »
The name of the company is Silverlock they are in Canning Vale and sell all sorts of packaging containers and jars a comprehensive list of all products on the website.  it is good to go and choose your jars but I personally like the mail order saves so much time.