Author Topic: Wiltshire poachies  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Wiltshire poachies
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:19:20 am »
Has anyone bought these yet? They are little poaching bags for eggs that come in packs of 20.I just saw an ad for them in the latest Australian good taste magazine. They are disposable, biodegradable and non stick.
Here's the link

http://portside-messenger.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/taste-perfect-poaching/

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire poachies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:06 am »
Has anyone bought these yet? They are little poaching bags for eggs that come in packs of 20.I just saw an ad for them in the latest Australian good taste magazine. They are disposable, biodegradable and non stick.
Here's the link

http://portside-messenger.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/taste-perfect-poaching/

I have seen them but not used them as I use plastic wrap. Line a small cup or glass with plastic wrap, put egg in , twist  top and simmer in basket. I also love the 40 minute  slow poached eggs in the basket  in the shell. They are yummy and you do not have to watch them while you cook the bacon, make the toast and open the Champagne.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

mcmich

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:31 am »
No, I haven't heard of them but seems like a good idea.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:31:05 am »
Haven't seen them, but I use the silicone poach pods.  Just spray with some oil first, and they just slide right out.
More expensive in the outlay, but you have them forever.

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:37:10 am »
I usually poach with  the 40 min TM version in the shell but I don't seem to have much luck with poaching on the stovetop. I have tried the silicon pods at my sisters house but I don't think I was coordinated enough to use them properly- maybe the eggs werent fresh enough. The disposable ones might be useful for camping or holiday house kind of scenarios though.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

stacelee

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:47:10 am »
I've seen them in Woolworths in the kitchenware section.  I think they were $4 to $5. I did pick them up but put them back down when I saw they weren't reusable.  We generate enough plastic garbage with two teenagers in the house without me adding to it.  I have poach pods which work okay when I feel nice enough to poach eggs for my husband and daughter....I'm not a big fan of fried or poached eggs...toooooooo goooooooooooopy.  

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 04:20:01 am »
I bought these in error on the weekend. I thought they were reusable and it wasn't until I opened the package I found they were single use. I've used one on the weekend and thought the end result was nicer than the pods but you do need to be really quick because the egg starts to leak through the paper as soon as you put the egg in - only a small amount but you couldn't get a few ready and then put into the water. I'm not bad at just putting them directly into water so will probably just stick with that method but these do give a good result if you aren't confident.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:47 am »
I do the glad wrap method, fantastic eggs.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 04:44:18 am »
I have stainless steel ones that are about 20 years old.

I like the look of the silicon ones too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url