Author Topic: Borlotti Bean and Buckwheat Soup (with photo)  (Read 14963 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Borlotti Bean and Buckwheat Soup (with photo)
« on: May 19, 2015, 02:15:47 pm »
Hi everyone,

It's been a few days I couldn't connect to forum thermomix. :'( I don't know why. Because I saw that on facebook you've been posting things but I failed to open any links from forum's page.
I hope the issue is solved now for good.

Today I'd like to share with you guys this delicious soup recipe. I make it almost as often as once a week recently.

I hope you enjoy it..

Ingredients:
1 - 2 cloves of garlic
2 - 3 sprigs of rosemary (leaves only)
25 g extra virgin olive oil
500 g cooked borlotti beans or 2 cans of borlotti beans (1 can = 400g; drained amount is 240g)*
200 g canned tomato puree (or canned diced tomatoes)
120 g buckwheat
1000 g boiling water**
1 tsp Thermomix vegetable or meat concentrate***

Optional;
Freshly ground black pepper
Hot pepper sauce
Grated parmesan

* I often cook my borlotti beans myself in my pressure cooker by boiling 250 g dry beans with 1 litre of water and 1 tbsp olive oil addition.

** If I boiled my beans, I use the remaining cooking water in the soup. I first add and weigh in the cooking water from the beans, then I add boiling water to reach to 1000 g.

*** As you know Thermomix concentrate contains quite a bit salt. If you are using canned products, since they also contain salt, 1 tsp of Thermomix concentrate will be enough. You can add more concentrate or salt if needed. Since I boil my beans with no salt addition, I use about 30 - 35 g of Thermomix concentrate in the soup.

Preparation:

Chop garlic and rosemary leaves for 10 seconds on Speed 7. Scrape down the sides with spatula and repeat if needed. 

Clean down the sides with spatula, add oil and cook for 3 minutes at 100ºC on Speed 1.

Add half of your cooked borlotti beans (or 1 can of drained beans) and tomato puree. Purea for 5 seconds on Speed 5.

Add rinsed buckwheat and Thermomix concentrate. Add and weigh in the remaining boiling water from the beans if you have any. Add boiling water to reach to 1000 g. Cook for 35 - 40 minutes at 100ºC on Reverse / Soft Speed.

Add your remaining cooked beans (or 1 can of drained beans). Cook for 5 more minutes at 100ºC on Reverse / Soft Speed.

Let it rest in TM Bowl for 10 minutes and serve.

If you wish you can add black pepper, hot pepper sauce and / or grated parmesan.

Enjoy.

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.it/2015/05/borlotti-bean-and-buckwheat-soup.html

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Borlotti Bean and Buckwheat Soup (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:33 pm »
Thanks for your recipe, Farfallina, it's exactly the right time here in Australia for good hearty soups.  I have also read your link - you are amazing and I would aspire to your regime, but because I am lazy I always make excuses for not taking exercise! 
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:08 pm »
Farfallina, I've also been having a lot of trouble accessing the forum but it seems others have been fine.

I found your article very interesting and agree with everything you've said. I too was never a runner, but over the years have gradually got into it more and more and find that I much prefer participating in fun runs rather than the training, it's great that your husband and friends are also interested. I'm also doing different "cross training" to ensure I get in enough stretching, weight bearing and aerobic activities particularly as I'm getting older and this combination is meant to be the best thing to keep weight down and help with aging well. The key really is consistency and "just doing it" a lot of the time rather than finding excuses.

The soup looks great and as Marina has said perfect for our weather at the moment, although I'm not 100% sure where to purchase buckwheat so will need to look around for it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:54:03 am »
"I'm not 100% sure where to purchase buckwheat so will need to look around for it."
Try your local health food shop, Wonder, although I would be surprised if it wasn't available in some supermarkets as well.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:15:31 am »
Wonder, one of my colleague buys Buckwheat from Asian grocery stores, you could give it a try there..

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 06:19:40 am »
Thanks for this farfallina and congratulations to you and Stefano on your running.

I bought buckwheat in a supermarket. I think it was Coles. I've used it to make Soba noodles but will try this recipe too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:54:37 am »
Thank you for the recipe Farfallina. :-*

Congratulations on the running.How wonderful that you have achieved so much together.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:31 pm »
Thank you all girls  :-* :-* :-*
You are so sweet and kind as always

Cuilidh; I've been making this soup very often since autumn. I find it very comforting and hearty as you said. In summer it will be missed.. 
About exercising, I understand you so well.. I used to feel so lazy too ! I have iron deficiency so I feel tired often. In fact, I should say I "used to" feel tired. After I've changed my diet and started exercising I feel much better. I don't feel that exhausted anymore. When I have my period it's more challenging but generally I am OK. When physical activity becomes a habit laziness disappears.

Wonder; a hearty conguratulations on your active lifestyle. Wherever / whoever I read they say cross training is very important. I am mixing various activities as yourself. Running, pilates, strength training and these days also gardening ;) This way it is more comprehensive and not boringly routine. You cover cardio, fat burning, muscle building, balance, flexibility, healthy aging.. all.
I don't know if you've managed to find buckwheat. FYI when I make this soup, I sometimes replace buckwheat with barley or farro or a mixture of them.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:54 pm »
This sounds lovely and healthy Farfallina and one I'll be making for sure.   :D

I've never cooked beans in my PC before so can I ask for how long you cook yours and is it on high pressure or low?  Would love to try doing this too.  :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:05:58 am »
Thanks for the replacement for buckwheat Farfallina, I have barley in the cupboard at home so will try this over the weekend if I get a chance. I think it will make a good work lunch soup for me so will freeze in individual portions.

I've certainly noticed the difference in my running now that I've introduced a lot more yoga and stretching to my routine, and think in the long term it will be much better for me from an overall fitness and health perspective. The only ones not so happy are my two dogs who watch while I stretch rather than taking them out for a run or walk  :D

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:44:09 am »
Julie, I don't soak my beans anymore.
I''ve read some articles that soaking reduce cooking time but it doesn't have any effect on flatuence. (Here is one). So, I find it more practical as I don't have to plan an overnight soaking in advance.
I just cook them a little longer with 1 litre of water and 1 tbsp of oil.
When my Pressure cooker whistles, I lower the heat and cook them for 40 minutes. I let them cool down natural way inside the cooker until the security lock gets unlocked or I just leave them there longer until the time I use.
I have a very basic model pressure cooker which doesn't have high-low settings.
I cook black eyed beans for about 20 minutes whereas chickpeas require a good 45 minutes.

Wonder, I guess also your dogs need a lifestyle change!  ;D
Here is an inspiration  8)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:46 pm »
That link is very cute, Farfallina.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 12:15:01 am »
Thanks for your tips Farfalina.  I will cook my own beans when I make this soup.  :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 01:27:30 am »
Thanks so much for link farfallina, we watched it over and over again last night and we laughed every time.

I called into the market after my run this morning and was able to pick up all the ingredients for this soup so will hopefully get to make it over the next week.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:26:19 am »
I hope you you enjoy the soup as much as the link girls  ;D  ;D

Julie, I started to make this soup so often, I bought my pressure cooker mainly for this soup and I am very happy that I did !  When I cook 250 grams of dried Borlotti beans I end up with around 500-600 grams of cooked beans depending on the quality of the beans, cooking time, soaking etc. Even if its written 500 grams of cooked beans among the ingredients, I use all my cooked beans in the soup. I hope you enjoy it.