Author Topic: Bakewell Tart  (Read 13996 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Bakewell Tart
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:51:38 am »
Name of Recipe: Bakewell Tart
Having owned an Hotel in Bakewell, Derbyshire, UK, we were often asked for Bakewell Tart by our guests. Historically, the original Bakewell pudding was a mistake made by the cook of the Rutland Arms in Bakewell. The recipe was changed a bit and became a popular commercial tart ever since.

Number of People: 4-6
Ingredients:
112   g   Shortcrust pastry
2   Tbsp   Raspberry jam
56   g   sugar
38   g   almonds
56   g   marg or butter
1        egg
56   g   SR Flour
1   Tbs   Milk
¼    tsp   almond essence

Preparation:
1.  Heat oven to 190C
2.  Line a 7”(180mm flan dish with shortcrust pastry.
3.  Spread the jam over the base of the pastry

4.  Grind the almonds in the TMX (or use ready ground) 3 secs/speed 10 and set aside. (No need to wash bowl)
5.  Grind sugar in the TMX  3 seconds/sped 10 (no need to wash bowl)
6.  Insert the butterfly whisk and add margarine or butter to the TMX and whisk for 3mins/ speed 4. Scrape down the sides with the spatula as required.
7.  With the blades still running at speed 4, drop the egg into the TMX through the lid and mix  until well combined.
8.  Weigh the flour onto a piece of kitchen paper on the top of the bowl  Turn to speed 3 and gradually add the flour and the ground almonds until just incorporated, then with the blades still running, add the milk and almond essence.
9.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl using the spatula and mix for a few seconds at speed 3.  
10.  Place mixture into pastry case and smooth top  

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins.
The result should be golden on top and spongy to the touch.

Tips/Hints:
Quite often this tart is iced on top with white icing and decorated with glace cherries.
Without the icing, it is a tart that is often served with custard.

members' comments

Sarah-Brisbane - I have made a mock version for years. Finally tried this version and its BRILLIANT. I rounded the measurements up and it was perfect. The only change I would make is to blind bake the pastry first :-) Oh and thanks for the tip about with custard, had never had it that way before, yum yum :-)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:16:42 pm by judydawn »
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Bakewell Tart
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:57:21 am »
DD looking good...
Thank you
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:14:09 am »
Thanks for the recipe Dot + it's always interesting to hear about the origins of recipes.  I love desserts with almond ground-  so moist.  I have to ask you:  why are the ingredients so accurately measured?  :)  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:10 am »
Hi Carine,
The measurements were originally in ozs and in the interest of adapting the recipe to Thermomix, I altered them to grams because that is what we like to use isn't it?
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:48:12 am »
That's right Dot.  My 12 year old son would love these measurements:  he tells me off when I'm under or over by 5g  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:57:29 am »
Thank you so much, can't wait to try this one.

Jo
Joanne -  NSW   :) :)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:04:29 pm »
Thanks so much, Dot.  Several of us tried to respond to Joanne's request for a bakewell tart, but we couldn't do the traditional recipe justice!  It was great to hear of the origins of the recipe too.  Will put this on my list to try.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:00 pm »
There was a programme on TV here just last week, on SBS in Melbourne, that did a spot on the original Bakewell Pudding - such a coincidence reading your post referring to exactly the same thing.  The segment was filmed in the original location as well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Sarah-brisbane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »
i have made a mock version for years. Finally tried this version and its BRILLIANT. I rounded the measurements up and it was perfect. The only change i would make is to blind bake the pastry first :-) Oh and thanks for the tip about with custard, had never had it that way before, yum yum :-)