Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521901 times)

jakodai

Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #8115 on: April 07, 2013, 01:22:33 am »
That's the one I go to, Mama Fergie. I live in Docklands.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: April 07, 2013, 01:24:01 am »
What a lovely place to live jakodai  :D
We usually stay there when we visit Melbourne

jakodai

« Reply #8117 on: April 07, 2013, 02:04:19 am »
It really is, I love it here. It's funny, because people say that Docklands has no soul, but I find quite the opposite. I've lived here for 18 months now, and I've felt more part of a community than I ever have. I know so many more people around here than I have anywhere else I've lived.

If you ever see a Border Collie around Docklands, it's probably me walking him. There is another much older Border Collie around here, too, but he's much darker and very obviously old. Jake's nearly 9, but still thinks he's a puppy!

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: April 07, 2013, 02:40:39 am »
I will look out for him (and you) next time we are in Melbourne. The docklands is our favourite place to stay with so many restaurants and care. My favourite Saganaki had closed down last time I was there.  :( I love the little Cambodian restaurant I think on the same side street as the small supermarket? Used to love Mecca Bah but last few times were disappointing.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: April 07, 2013, 04:48:29 am »
Love to go to Melbourne, stay in the city, and go to Queen Vic markets....
Love the shopping in the city too.

since we have no shops here >:(
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: April 07, 2013, 04:53:53 am »
Don't you have any shops nearby Robyn?
We are coming up your way early July.
I love shopping anywhere and everywhere and I love browsing in the Vic markets too :)

mcmich

« Reply #8121 on: April 07, 2013, 05:15:24 am »
I love shopping anywhere and everywhere and I love browsing in the Vic markets too :)

Me too  ;D ;D

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #8122 on: April 07, 2013, 07:44:49 am »
Im looking forward to Costco being completed in Ringwood cos I live about 4 kms away!!!
Cookie press looks great for the money jakodai, good buy :)

Me too :) also love that Forest Hill Chase will have three warring super markets when Aldi opens there soon.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #8123 on: April 07, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »
Obbie I love your Panelvan! EJ??
Gorgeous!

And I see you have a HR too! That was my first car. I was in the process of doing it all up when everything went wrong, but I still wish I had that car. I have a Torana now.

We go to Costco maybe 4 - 6 times a year (Because it's nowhere near us). But we easily save at least the cost of our membership fee if not more in 1 shop. Definitely find it worthwhile.
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8124 on: April 07, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
The only thing wrong with Costco is you have to pay bout $60 a year joining fee and unless you can get there often i don't think it is worth it.

If you need one of their bigger items you can save as much on one visit as the yearly membership fee.  When you join for the first time, you will get a booklet with coupons which will give you significant savings on several items and also some free items - things that are really a good deal. 
Not long ago I took a neighbor along who wanted to join and the free items were 1 rotisserie chicken (fully cooked, usually 6.99), a "fresh salad greens package- large," a large pie, two loaves of bread, plus a $5. coupon for a fresh meat item and a $3.00 coupon for a cheese item. 
The monthly Costco Messenger that comes in the mail has plenty of coupons and you can plan your shopping ahead of time to take advantage of them.  Also, with all the SAMPLES OF FOODS, you and a friend or family can take part in the very popular "Costco Grazing lunch" which is so popular here in the States and which has been written about at length...  This is one I bookmarked a while back because it is cute.

One of my friends has estimated that by taking her teenage twin sons along on her weekly jaunts to Costco she has saved more than enough to cover her annual membership as they eat enough of the samples that they don't demand to be fed at the food court on the way out of the store...  OR demanding that she stop at a fast-food place on the way home. 
She has also told me that the boys sampled and liked foods that they would never have eaten at home - Several years ago when they were in the finicky stage where NO new to them food would be considered, she took the along and she recalls that on one trip they tried battered and deep fried artichoke hearts (fully cooked and microwaveable) at Costco  and LOVED them.  They also learned to eat some "exotic" cheeses, that would have been refused if she just bought a chunk and tried to serve it to them at home. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16:42 pm »
That's wonderful Andie. Children are funny creatures, especially as teenagers.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: April 09, 2013, 02:35:04 am »
I say a new mantra.  ' I do not want or need anymore recipe books '. It doesn't seem to work.
DD and I bought one each of these. I have made a lovely light fruit cake from one and the flavour is lovely.

May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:19 am »
You hit the jackpot, Cookie - at least one successful recipe from a book justifies its existence on your bookshelf!!  (Well, that
s my theory and I'm sticking to it!! ;D ;D)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:09 am »
I say a new mantra.  ' I do not want or need anymore recipe books '. It doesn't seem to work.
DD and I bought one each of these. I have made a lovely light fruit cake from one and the flavour is lovely.

They look like magazines to me, so your mantra might be working Cookie  :D
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:11 am »
I wonder if they do,the coupons here my friends who joined didn't"t say anything about then I've only been once and it was good but only got a free sample of grapefruit juice.  If it was closer maybe it would take me about an hours drive just to,get there and in the city.