Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522015 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1905 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:40 am »
I just bought a new Flan pan so I can try a variation of the Swedish ice cream cheese cake.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:35 pm »
l use paypal all the time and l thought it was a safe way to pay
l will watch more carefully my account details
thanks for  telling us that

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 16, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »
Just watch your bank account. ANZ told me I was lucky to have caught it before they put in their consolidated payment to Paypal. If I had  not found it immediately they would not have been able to refund it until after  it had  been investigated.

Scary!!!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »
It comes down to your bank because your bank and credit card details can be hacked from many places.. Doesnt mean you should never use them just be careful about secure sites and always watch your accounts (kind of a given really)  We use paypal a lot and have never had. A Problem nd in any case they always send you an email to confirm purchases made using your account.. We had a very large charge on our credit card last year from turkey ( not paypal) think it was and the bank blocked it straight away after a quick phonecall to see i we or one of us was over that way but had luckily flagged it as strange and unusual ...you cant blame someone like paypal because it can happen everywhere.. The fraud dept of your bank is your best friend in these circumstances.. Its also not o ly online purchases as they can get your numbers from an atm also.. Its very common..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1909 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:12 pm »
I have a separate bank account for my PayPal transactions, along with a single credit card for the "back-up" funding with a $200.00 limit - at my request, although the bank keeps trying to increase my limit and every time they send me a notice I contact them and reduce it back to the limit I want.

Several years ago I had an attempt at a fraudulent transaction go through PayPal - I had made a legitimate purchase but an employee of the vendor changed the transaction amount but it was caught by my bank and I immediately contacted PayPal - when I buy something I always take a screen shot of the "invoice" so I have the original documentation.  I emailed this to PayPal and they stopped the transaction and notified the vendor.  Apparently this employee had done this several times before, and was embezzling from his employer and using these transactions to cover the losses. 
Fortunately at the time I had already put limits on my bank transactions without my secure authorization so when they got a debit for 3045.00 instead of 345.00 they phoned and inquired, since I didn't have that much in my account.  I thought it was simply a mistake and refused it and only after I got an inquiry from PayPal and the vendor did I realize it was an attempt at fraud. 
The case was even turned over to the FBI and an agent called on me for an interview and my signature on the complaint.  I have no idea what happened from there on but it was a wake-up call for me. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:51 pm »
Very good advice andiesenji. Sadly,theses stories are all too common.  Screen shots are a good idea for a lot of things and it is really easy with the iPad.

Gretch

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 17, 2012, 05:08:02 am »
We're a bit like Andie. We have a separate credit card for use on the internet. $1000 limit. Mainly so DG can get $1000 worth of parts for the old cars from USA.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 17, 2012, 05:19:25 am »
We used to own a 50 year old timber boat so I know what you are saying cookie1.

Gert

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:19 am »
Ooh, did I have a good shopping day today! I started off at the supermarket, and my groceries only came to $65. I really don't know how that happened because my trolley was full. I then bought 3 bras, some knickers and a sheet set ( I went to change the sheets this morning and discovered that the sheets had worn through - there was a big hole!).
I then went to The General Trader who were having a sale.  I bought a couple of Christmas biscuit cutters for 50c each ( I have a large collection of biscuit cutters),  couple of hot pink silicone spatulas, and a Christmas star cookie tree for $2.50. It's got a central pole to build the tower around. Such a great idea as I entered a tower in the Royal Show last year and it collapsed on the way to the show - I drove over a speed hump and heard a crash in the back of the car. Oops!
I actually went to the shop to look at the New Wave 5 in 1Mulitcooker, as my pressure cooker needed replacing.  I looked at it, but realised that it was 2 litres smaller than my existing one. I make lots of soups in winter, and it's really hard to downsize when you are used to a large pot. They had 30% off the 8.5 L Scanpan pressure cooker, so I bought it. ;D
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:52 am »
Ooh, did I have a good shopping day today! I started off at the supermarket, and my groceries only came to $65. I really don't know how that happened because my trolley was full. I then bought 3 bras, some knickers and a sheet set ( I went to change the sheets this morning and discovered that the sheets had worn through - there was a big hole!).
I then went to The General Trader who were having a sale.  I bought a couple of Christmas biscuit cutters for 50c each ( I have a large collection of biscuit cutters),  couple of hot pink silicone spatulas, and a Christmas star cookie tree for $2.50. It's got a central pole to build the tower around. Such a great idea as I entered a tower in the Royal Show last year and it collapsed on the way to the show - I drove over a speed hump and heard a crash in the back of the car. Oops!
I actually went to the shop to look at the New Wave 5 in 1Mulitcooker, as my pressure cooker needed replacing.  I looked at it, but realised that it was 2 litres smaller than my existing one. I make lots of soups in winter, and it's really hard to downsize when you are used to a large pot. They had 30% off the 8.5 L Scanpan pressure cooker, so I bought it. ;D
That certainly was a great shop ES.You sound very excited on the purchase of your new pressure cooker ;) I had one years ago but buckled the bottom and never replaced it. :P
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 17, 2012, 11:18:30 am »
I M excited about the pressured cooker. I have been using my mother's old 1975vintage pressure cooker, but the lid has become difficult to remove. This would have to be my second favourite appliance ( no prizes for guessing my favourite!). It makes really cheap cuts of meat tender and delicious, and is really quick. I make lots of soups, curries and stews in winter. Life is really busy, and anything that helps make tasty, nutritious meals quickly should be embraced wholeheartedly!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:51 am »
OMG 1975 is VINTAGE? BWAAAAAAAAAAAA? What am I? I weep. ;D ;D ;D

Gert

Bonsai

« Reply #1917 on: February 17, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »
Priceless ! Beyond value 

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:08 pm »
Gretchen I consider my self to be vintage, just like Hermitage Grange 1961.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 17, 2012, 01:23:03 pm »
Haha gretch embrace it 😃😃😃
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/