Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5208111 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #4725 on: August 06, 2012, 01:53:27 am »
Gert they look divine!!!! Is the receipe on the forum anywhere?

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10883.0

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:54 am »
Thanks Gert :)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: August 06, 2012, 02:29:45 am »
Gert that's the Beer Ass Chciken not the beef cheeks or am I missing something? Are beef cheeks expensive or cheap to buy?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 06, 2012, 03:37:20 am »
Gert that's the Beer Ass Chciken not the beef cheeks or am I missing something? Are beef cheeks expensive or cheap to buy?

Oops.

Beef cheeks are really cheap. If you do make Maggie Beers recipe  cook at least 6  and freeze what you do not use . I regret only doing the two aS it would have been just as easy to do more.

You want The recipe?  http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipes/slow-braised-beef-cheeks-in-barossa-shiraz

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: August 06, 2012, 04:02:43 am »
Just checked out her website, I am in heaven. Never kew she had one :o

Thanks Gert :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: August 06, 2012, 04:04:58 am »
Dinner tonight...
I have a slow cooker full of mince cooking now, we will have some of that with mashed potato and steamed veg. The leftovers will be made into mini pies tomorrow for lunchboxes.  :)
:D

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: August 06, 2012, 04:40:28 am »
Thanks Gert that's it :) Stupid question is the red wine and other liquid is that the reduced beef stock?

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: August 06, 2012, 05:05:44 am »
Well there will be no mince here tonight after all... I just went to give it a stir and found pieces of grease-proof paper looking stuff all through it.  ???  Absolutely grossed me out - especially as it is not that long since I could face mince again after finding a feather in some.  :P  :P  :P  Can't even think about food right now, but I'll have to do something for my family. Ugh, That is bad bad bad. I have rung ww and told them, they are going to give me a credit voucher for the amount paid. So that part is ok, still grossed out tho.  :P  :-X  >:(

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: August 06, 2012, 05:14:29 am »
Well there will be no mince here tonight after all... I just went to give it a stir and found pieces of grease-proof paper looking stuff all through it.  ???  Absolutely grossed me out - especially as it is not that long since I could face mince again after finding a feather in some.  :P  :P  :P  Can't even think about food right now, but I'll have to do something for my family. Ugh, That is bad bad bad. I have rung ww and told them, they are going to give me a credit voucher for the amount paid. So that part is ok, still grossed out tho.  :P  :-X  >:(

I found a lovely cockroach in a loaf of bread once.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: August 06, 2012, 05:23:05 am »
Thanks Gert that's it :) Stupid question is the red wine and other liquid is that the reduced beef stock?

Yvette there is not such thing as a stupid ? On this forum.

I am at the pub for lunch and cannot remember but I would say yes . I had no beef stock but I did have Bonox which is the best ever beef stock so I added  a tablespoon or about to the required amount of liquid..  I used a Shiraz wine, balsamic vinegar and the Bonox in the required amount of liquid.  Yup. It is the hint of the orange and the star anise that give it the mystery flavour .  I used the Balsamic to replace the VinoCotto which is hard to get here.

I thinks Maggie has another with mustard and verjuice I might try.

Hope that helps.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: August 06, 2012, 05:39:59 am »

Astarra I  would save the bits. Wash them off and put them in  a letter to HO of WW. You will get more than a refund.

Are you sure it was not the piece of paper they often put on the tray under the mince that you did not remove? I have done that myself especially if I am cooking from frozen. Not a problem to remove after cooking anyway.

Gert.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: August 06, 2012, 05:47:22 am »

Astarra I  would save the bits. Wash them off and put them in  a letter to HO of WW. You will get more than a refund.

Are you sure it was not the piece of paper they often put on the tray under the mince that you did not remove? I have done that myself especially if I am cooking from frozen. Not a problem to remove after cooking anyway.

Gert.

Yep, I have this fear of leaving those bits on my meat after I left one of those blood catcher things on a chook and roasted it, so I am sure I got all the packaging materials off the mince.  This is really weird paper stuff too, nothing like I have ever seen on meat of any sort before.  ???  More like paper towel in texture I found when I pulled a biggish bit out, but without the bumps. Really weird and totally gross.  :P

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:27 am »
Thanks Gert, hope you enjoy your lunch

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:28 am »

I found a lovely cockroach in a loaf of bread once.

Gert

Yuk!! Glad I didn't find one of them.  :P  :o

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: August 06, 2012, 06:09:05 am »
Everyone who is anyone has a website Hally  ;)

Astarra if you are put off my purchased mince, why not mince your own?

We had leftover tuna/mushroom noodles for lunch but GS wanted baked beans and a boiled egg.  He then ask Grandpa if he wanted an egg too - of course he said yes.  The Home ice-cream van just happened to go past at the right time so we went out and bought a box of choc coated ice-creams to finish off our meal nicely.

Probably toasted sandwiches or jaffles for tea.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.