Author Topic: Home-Made Bread Too Heavy  (Read 19803 times)

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
Home-Made Bread Too Heavy
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:16 am »
Hi all, since I got my TMX about a year ago and started baking my own bread I'm pleased to say that I have not bought a single loaf or bun as my own efforts have been so successful  :)

I find the trick to keeping the home-made effort sustainable whilst being a busy working Mum is baking three loaves at a time (I invested in three tins) then slicing and freezing so I have a constant supply.

Only problem I have:  DH complains that my bread is too heavy.  It doesn't matter which recipe I use, he says they're all too heavy and not light and soft like shop-bought bread.  He loves my bread toasted (Cyndi O'Meara's Bible Bread gives The Best crunch) but he doesn't like the home-made bread fresh for sandwiches/rolls.

As I don't want to use any store-bought bread improvers because I have some question marks over the ingredients I wonder what other people do/use to help bread to be lighter/fluffier/airier?

Thanks in advance for any hints  :)
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Home-Made Bread Too Heavy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:00 am »
Patsycate, which recipes are you using?
What flour?
do you do a double rise.?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:44 am »
It's the double rise I tell you - thank goodness you are such a legend Chookie and drum it into everyone  :D :D. I helped one of our new consultants with it last week. She said she couldn't get a good loaf, only rolls ... not now she gives it a second rise AND also makes sure it has doubled in size both times not going on a time for rising  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:17:13 am »
Faffa,  how right you are. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:19 am »
My top 3 are
   No fuss bread  (so versatile ) from. achookwoman
   Cobb loaf ( great for toasting) from. juileO
   Olive oil bread (soft and light) from .thermomix uk site, i made 150 rolls last weekend. no need for bread improver

ciao
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:35:35 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline berpsie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:24:36 am »
I am having the same issues with my bread.  Its lovely fresh with butter but after that is too heavy and is only great toasted.  I will have to try the double rise system.  sometimes I am a little rushed!  can somebody give me a link to the No Fuss Bread and cob Loaf - found the olive oil roll recipe ...  is this ok as a loaf or only rolls?

:o ??? :-))

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:33:30 am »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:14:48 am »
This information is very useful as I am going to start experimenting with bread making and need all the help I can get. Thanks for asking the question patsycate.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:18:39 pm »
All new bread makers......I think there are two issues here.   1 .   making the bread,  and
                                                                                       2.   freezing it.

Almost any bread tastes good when warm and spread with butter.   The first thing is to make a loaf that is good when it has cooled down.  So aim to make a loaf that still seems 'fresh' the next day.  The "No Fuss" should do this if instructions are followed.  Don't skimp on the rising time.  A softer dough will give a more soft slice when cool. Don't cut the loaf until it is cool.

The next issue is the freezing,  and different members have discussed how they deal with this in a previous Post.  Freezing will dry the bread out, even if frozen for a short time.  This is why I do not slice the bread when I freeze it.  I also wrap the bread very well in foil.  Patsycate, in your case try slicing the bread and wrapping individual serves ,for your DH in separate parcels.

Also ,  once you have made a good loaf,  try adding 1 Tablespoon of oil to the recipe., the next time.   This will keep the crumb moist.

Dede,  have a go.  Use either Isi's Portuguese roll recipe,  and make rolls to start with and then a loaf.  Or the "No Fuss" recipe.  This I wrote for people just starting out.  You can make either rolls or loaf.

Some members,  such as Judy, now make fab. bread ,  with no previous experience.  Once you perfect the method there will be no stopping you.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 01:50:59 pm »
Store bought bread almost always uses 3-4 times the amount of yeast as homebaked bread. Also they add stabilizers to make sure it can hold the structure and other chemicals to make it rise even more. The bigger bread with more air the more money they make pr/kg flour.

If your husband complains about your bread being to heave you can try to add more yeast. Store bought bread has around 100 g yeast to each kilogram flour.
I do not like the taste of that kind of bread as the taste of yeast is not very nice but you will for sure get a very light and fluffy bread.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 01:56:46 pm »
You are exactly right there bluesed  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:09:56 pm »
That's all great info thanks guys. No to put it into practice. I make cheese and bacon rolls often and they are wonderful. But any other breads I make have always been just ok not wonderful. I will try again and take all this info in. Keep you posted.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 06:43:05 pm »
What do you mean by "double rise"?

I mix the dough, set it to rise and when it has doubled in volume, punch it down and set to rise a second time.

I then shape the dough and set it to rise again, it should double in volume,  then bake it off. 

If I want more flavor in the bread, after the first rise, I punch it down and put it in the fridge in a sealed container (allowing some room because it will rise a little) for a minimum or 12 hours - 18 is better.

I then take it out of the fridge, give it twice as long as normal to come back to room temp and then the second rise.  Then shape, set to rise for the final time and bake it off. 

For any doughs that contain a significant amount of whole wheat flour or flours that do not contain gluten, (and  you are not GF) you need to add some vital wheat gluten and some milk powder to give you a lighter loaf but with a fine crumb.

You can't always go by time when the dough is rising.  Some doughs take much longer to rise than others so you have to go by the feel of the dough.

If you push your finger into the risen dough and it doesn't resist or you leave a distinct dimple, the rise is full.  If it springs back and feels taut, it needs more time. 

You may need just a bit more water.  The dough should not be sticky but should be very elastic. 
A recipe that works one day may not work another because of changes in the ambient moisture in the air.  Flour is affected by the humidity level in the air. 
I live in the desert and I often have to add more water to a bread dough when the humidity level is low and less during the rainy season when it is high. 
Right now the humidity level is high because we are in a "monsoon" weather system and the ambient humidity is over 60 % (normal at this time of the year is 20%.
I baked bread yesterday and first added only 75% of the water to the dough, then gradually added in another 10% and that was enough.  If I had added all the usual amount, I would have had sloppy dough. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »
Last time I made a loaf of fruit bread it took for ever to rise and I wasn't sure if leaving it for a long time was a good thing or not so I through it in the oven and it wasn't very nice at all.
Can the dough ruin if it takes a long time to rise?

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:54:15 pm »
Last time I made a loaf of fruit bread it took for ever to rise and I wasn't sure if leaving it for a long time was a good thing or not so I through it in the oven and it wasn't very nice at all.
Can the dough ruin if it takes a long time to rise?

No, as long as it doesn't over-proof and deflate.   If it does, don't despair, you don't have to throw it away.  In fact, some artisan bakers have experimented with getting more flavor into bread by doing just this and then  taking the over-proofed dough  back to the bench (or into the mixer) adding a bit more water a small amount of flour and another dose of yeast. 
This is mixed and kneaded well - usually 10 minutes in a regular mixer with a dough hook, 15-18 minutes if kneading by hand - and then set to rise.  It may rise faster this time so check it when it would normally be half way into the rise.
Punch it down and let rise again, shape and set for the final rise and bake. 

Every type of dough is different in how it rises.  Some sweet doughs rise rapidly. 

Some heavy doughs that contain a lot of whole grains and whole grain flour, seeds and fruit, can take easily twice as long to rise as regular bread, sometimes even longer.  This is where it is important to know how the dough should feel.

I have been baking Struan bread ever since I got Peter Reinhart's book , Brother Juniper's Bread Book many years ago.
(I have ALL of Peter's books)

Note that in the recipe it states to let it rise for 90 minutes - I have never had success with that length of time, even in a proofing box.
It takes TWO hours for the bread to rise to the point that it has doubled in volume. 

I punch it down, knead it some more on a floured board so it picks up some (up to a cup sometimes) because the dough is pretty sticky.

The second rise usually goes a bit faster but always takes well over an hour.

After shaping and panning, again it takes 90 minutes at least for them to double.

This is not a "quick" bread - for me it takes most of a day but as there are long breaks while the rising is (hopefully) going on, I can work around it. 
The result is worth it.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/