Author Topic: Sweet and Sour Meatballs - EDC  (Read 15306 times)

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
Sweet and Sour Meatballs - EDC
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:55:15 am »
Made this last night.  Very nice and tasty!

Unfortunately, my husband is traveling for work, so it was just me and the two kids.  I could of fed the whole street with this dish!!!!
With the vegies are recommended in the recipe, the tray of the varoma was jam packed, so I did cook for an extra 5 minutes.  Sauce was really nice, and thickened up to a good consistency after standing. Next time I might put some of the vegies and pineapple on top of the meatballs in the dish, so things have a bit more room.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet and Sour Meatballs - EDC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:15:28 am »
There are only 2 of us Amanda  & after I had made this one in my early days I put a note on it to only do half next time.  I mixed only the vegies in with the sauce and poured that over the meatballs. I used a bit more cornflour than the recipe states. It would certainly feed a lot of people.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:54:09 am »
Great work AmandaN  - good to hear that it is a winner.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:38:13 am »
Not to sure where the best place was for this but was wondering if anyone has or would swap the pork for chicken as i dont eat much in the way of pork products?? any other suggestions

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:53:42 am »
Yes Amanda, you could swap the pork for chicken.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:26:26 am »
I made vegetarian style, using fried tofu instead of pork meat ball.  Have no bamboo shot as well, so just omit.  DH doesn't like sweet sour but everyone else enjoy this.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline becd54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:34:08 am »
Sorry I'm a bit new to this  - where is the recipe for this it sounds fantastic!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:41:18 am »
Page 103 of the Everyday Cookbook

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:15 am »
For those that have made this, was the mince wet and gluggy?  It doesn't feel like a normal meatball and I am more pinching them into shape than rolling.  Jumped on here as not sure it looks like it's supposed to!

I'll keep going with it and hope for the best I think! 

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »
I made this for our supper and we all enjoyed it, the sauce very tasty.I made 28 meatballs, using freerange pork mince :o I didn't use the bamboo shoots as I didn't have any, so just left it out.A super little recipe 5/5
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:21:55 am »
Didn't take you long to try a recipe from your new EDC CC - this was one of the first recipes I made from that book, makes heaps!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:27:03 am »
Didn't take you long to try a recipe from your new EDC CC - this was one of the first recipes I made from that book, makes heaps!
I did read the reviews before I tried this recipe Judy,but I agree it did make heaps :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:22:51 pm »
Absolutely wonderful meal.  Excellent recipe!
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Kazza14

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:37:39 am »
  :-\ sorry I didn't enjoy this one, the pork didn't seem to mince very well to start off with and I felt that the flavour was lacking something...sorry to put a downer on it but just being honest, would probably try Chicken if I did it again.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 11:00:54 am »
Ok. Tried this in the TC tonight. Sauce was really quite strong I found although tasty. Just seemed a bit concentrated. I only had a 420gm of pineapple but it was mooooore than enough so am wondering how much everyone used? I added an extra cup of water for the pineapple juice I would have been lacking.

I was initially worried about the meatballs piling up, but they seemed to cook fine. My meatball paste was also sludgy but I plopped big teaspoons full in a bowl of breadcrumbs and that seemed to dry the outside and hold them together. They. Certainly couldn't be rolled by hand without something dry added.

Will try again a little more diluted, and perhaps with some spring onion in the meatballs. Maybe even chicken. Loved doing all at once though and I had my rice cooker on at the same time. ;)
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2