Author Topic: aioli, help please  (Read 8723 times)

Offline natalia

• View Profile
aioli, help please
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:15 am »
Hi everyone,
A couple of months ago i found a aioli recipe off this site (maybe from Tenina) and it was fantastic.  I tried to find it today and couldn't find it.  I tried the following recipe:

•  2 cloves of garlic, peeled
•  1egg
•  1 egg yolk
•  1 tbsp. lemon juice
•  ½ tsp. salt
•  300g vegetable oil, pre-measured
Instructions:
1.  Place garlic in TM bowl; mince for 5 seconds at speed 7; scrape down the sides of the bowl
2.  Place egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, and salt into the TM bowl; blend for 45 seconds on speed 7 while
     slowly pouring oil onto the lid without removing the TM cup
3.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl using the spatula; store covered in refrigerator until ready to use
Note: Raw eggs are used in this recipe.

and it didn't work (I tried it 3 times and it failed!  ???) i did substitute vinegar for lemon juice because i didn't have any lemons on hand.
Does anybody have a good recipe??? I think the one I used had one egg in it (the above one has 1 1/2 eggs)
Thanks, Natalia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: aioli, help please
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:36:21 am »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:09:09 am »
There is a posting about Aioli here Natalia. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:19:29 am »
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 10:40:54 am »
Thanks ladies, the recipes you have linked are not the one I was looking for.   Cookie, the one you posted is the one I tried. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Is the vinegar sub for lemon juice a problem?  Can you spin/process it for too long? Thanks for your thoughts, Natalia

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:10:24 am »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:22:14 am »
I found this information for you Natlaia.You might be adding the oil too quickly.

"The success or failure of aioli comes in the first 10 minutes when the olive oil comes in contact with the egg and garlic. The two factors that make it work are 1/ mixing the egg with very small drops of olive oil at the beginning. If you add too much oil immediately, the aioli is missed beyond repair. You can add more oil, beat it harder, chances are it will remain liquid and never catch on. The first drops of olive oil make the initial chemical bonds that solidify the sauce and set the foundation for everything else."

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 11:26:17 am »
There is a citrus aioli recipe in Quick Mix in the Thermomix by Alyce Alexandra (if you think this might be it I can PM you the recipe).  I also have another aioli recipe that has an attibution to "Alina 2010" (no URL with it, but I suspect it is on this forum).

I just found the link http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=287.msg746#msg746
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:34:13 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:41:22 am »
I have made Alyce's citrus aioli too, her directions say to add egg yolks lemon etc mix 30 sec sp 4 then with bades still going, sped 4 pour oil over lid with up in, in a slow drizzle.  Mine was thick and tasty.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »
Faffa has said that its best to do it at 37degrees. Even though we have the egg etc at room temperature the bowl may be different. I'll try and find the link.
She suggests always using  vinegar as the lemon juice may be more acidic etc at different times. Another suggestion was to set the timer for 5 minutes and take this time to add the oil.
I'm sorry I can't find where she said this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:33:28 pm by cookie1 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »
Here's Faffa's comment Cookie, in Topic No. 347

Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »

My never fail mayo is to have everything at room temperature, use vinegar instead of lemon juice as Tenina so kindly let us know (love that woman  ) then "cook" the egg and mustard on 37o for 2 min to ensure everything is the same temp. Then add timer for 5 min at 37o and add oil. have NEVER had a fail this way. DH even added the oil in less than 2 min the other day. I was horrified but it worked. I think the key is the temp at 37o Even with everything sitting at room temp, the stainless steel bowl is colder than an egg or vinegar in a plastic bottle same as oil in a glass bottle. Well that is my take on it anyway lol. All I know is that it works and we go through heaps of mayo as the teens like mustard mayo on their veg 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 09:54:48 pm »
Thanks ladies, you have given me a few things to try.
One of my failures looked like it had thickened to start with and then went to slop.....? I tried to whiz it again and it got worse.
When using vinegar as a substitute for lemon juice, the info I read said to sub half vinegar for lemon juice, is that right?
Thanks again, Natalia
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:02:28 pm by natalia »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 07:04:55 am »
I always use the same quantity vinegar that it says to use for lemon juice.

Judy thank you for finding Faffa's information. I use her method and haven't had a failure either.

Offline natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:12 am »
Hi everyone,
I was going to try your suggestions this afternoon and i made a last ditch effort to find the original recipe, I FOUND IT ,

ALI-OLI:

All ingredients at room temp (warm the egg in your hands for at least 10 mins if its fridge cold)

2 or 3 cloves garlic
squeeze lemon juice
half teaspoon white wine vinegar
half teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
1 whole egg
300g sunflower oil

Place all, except oil in THX, 10 seconds, speed 4.
Have oil weighed out previously into a jug
With MC placed and on speed 4, slowly and evenly pour oil onto lid, takes a couple of minutes, but works every time for me. Wink

In hot weather, do not keep, but in cool weather can keep for 2 or 3 days (if it lasts that long! Make sure you have plenty of crusty bread, you will need it! Tongue)

I had success first time!  The main difference i could see between the two recipes was that the first one i tried (listed on original post) and the one listed above was the spinning speed.  The first one said speed 7 when adding the oil but the one  i had success on listed a speed 4 when adding the oil.  I wonder if it was the speed that made the difference in the end or if i was just having a better day today.
Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciated it, Natalia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:37 am »
Where was the above recipe Natalia, on our forum or someone's blog?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.