Author Topic: Mexican Bake  (Read 15122 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Mexican Bake
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:56:37 am »
Adapted from the book Simple Dinners. This is always a winner in our house and can be made with chicken mince.

Ingredients
3/4 cup rice
300 gram can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
3 1/2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
500 gram mince
50 gram bacon
1 clove garlic
1 onion quartered
2 x 200 gram jars taco sauce
2 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions
Preheat oven 180° C.
Lightly grease casserole dish.
Add water to TMX and rice to basket. Cook 15 minutes at Varoma temp on speed 4.
Once cooked, combine the kidney beans and coriander to rice and place in casserole dish and lightly press down.
Add onion, garlic and bacon into TMX bowl and chop for 3 seconds speed 5. Add oil and sauté for 3 minutes at 100° C on speed 1.
Add mince and cook for 10 minutes at Varoma temperature on Reverse + speed soft.
Add salsa and cook for a further 15 minutes. Leave MC in lid in inclined position to prevent spitting.

To assemble spread 1/2 cheese over rice then spread mince mixture on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover.

Bake 35 minutes until mixture is bubbling and cheese is melted and golden brown.

Serve with a good dollop of sour cream.

members' comments

faffa - loved by all.  DH declared it a keeper. I used brown rice (so cooked it for 30 min) and also used the Taco Sauce recipe that JD linked to (added a capsicum and some paprika to the taco sauce, still found the taco sauce a little lacking so going to try taking out the cayenne pepper next time and adding in a red chilli instead - this didn't detract from the recipe, DH was just looking for that bit extra zingy flavour. I had some original flavoured organic corn chips here that needed using up so sprinkled them on top before I put the cheese on and also served it with avocado.

Bubbles - I made this tonight using left over mince mixture from JulieO's Beef Enchiladas. I added an additional can of kidney beans to the mince mixture and also served it with corn chips and avocado - delicious! Thank you!

Kissmypixel - a definite make again recipe for me. My DH scoffed it down and is impressed as he hasn't really like many of the recipes I've done as they are to saucy. This got the thumbs up.

Moo2 - This was lovely and very easy. Thanks DG.

JD - We had this with some steamed vegies - thanks for posting this recipe DG, it went down very well.  I made 1/2 quantity for the 2 of us.

helbels - very tasty (if filling!) and made enough for 4. The only thing we did differently was to add 1/4 tsp chili, which is just as well as it would have  been very mild without it.

maddy - Enjoyed, just made a couple of changes. Used  frozen corn & parsley in the rice, 700g mince and I made Julie's Enchilada sauce, instead of the salsa. Topped with guacamole & sour cream.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:57:09 pm by judydawn »
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Bake
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:58 am »
Sounds very nice DG.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:20:14 am »
Sounds lovely - will have to add it to my week menu. Thanks DG

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:39:20 am »
Looks a great recipe DG but could you tell me what's in taco sauce? It's something I have never bought. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:46:05 am »
CC you may want to have a look at this . . the reviews of the recipe seem to be all very good

http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-bell-taco-sauce-60254/review

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:43 am »
There's a TMX one here.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:47:49 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:01:01 am »
CC you may want to have a look at this . . the reviews of the recipe seem to be all very good

http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-bell-taco-sauce-60254/review
There's a TMX on here.
Big thank you girls :-* :-*
Tomato sauce with attitude  :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59:49 pm »
Yes CC tomato sauce with attitude. Sometimes I use Salsa instead too. Or pasta sauce mixed with taco seasoning. Depends on what I have available.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »
Made this for dinner tonight DG - loved by all (thank goodness as DD is going through a fussy stage  :-)) :-))) DH declared it a keeper  :)

I used brown rice (so cooked it for 30 min) and also used the Taco Sauce recipe that JD linked to (added a capsicum and some paprika to the taco sauce, still found the taco sauce a little lacking so going to try taking out the cayenne pepper next time and adding in a red chilli instead  :D) this didn't detract from the recipe, DH was just looking for that bit extra zingy flavour  ;)

I had some original flavoured organic corn chips here that needed using up so sprinkled them on top before I put the cheese on (that made the kids feel special :-))) and also served it with avocado for those of us that will eat it (ME lol) yummo
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:40 pm »
faffa so glad you liked it. I am going to make this for Friday night and use tuna instead of mince.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:58:40 pm »
I made this tonight using left over mince mixture from JulieO's Beef Enchiladas. I added an additional can of kidney beans to the mince mixture, and also served it with corn chips and avacado-delicious! Thank you!

Offline Kissmypixel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »
I made this tonight, a definite make again recipe for me. My DH scoffed it down and is impressed as he hasn't really like many of the recipes I've done as they are to saucy. This got the thumbs up:).

Offline Stoked

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »
Oh this sounds yum! I'll add it to my list!

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 11:15:16 pm »
I am so glad everyone is liking this.
I am going to mince some chicken today and have this ready for dinner tomorrow night.

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:40 am »
This was lovely and very easy. Made it for dinner tonight and the whole lot was eaten! Thanks DG.