Author Topic: One very large vienna loaf or two smaller ones.  (Read 80111 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Re: One very large vienna loaf or two smaller ones.
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:18 am »
Thanks Chookie  ;D
I love your new bread tin.  You must have an amazing collection of bread tins and other baking pans, tins etc.

I have the Chicago Metallic baguette tray and their mini loaf tins already.  I like their products.

My DH are going into the Adelaide CBD tomorrow to do some shopping, so I'll have a look around.  I doubt I'll find either in Adelaide though.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »
I love the bread tin Chookie.

I 'think' I have seen the tin you made the rolls in and it was called an eclair tin. I'm not sure though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 08:43:42 pm »
I think it is an eclair tin too cookie.
But in this country they are much shallower. I looked today in several cookshops, and saw nothing.
Just as well as only buying essentials. ;D

We are eating very well, thanks to encouragement from here. ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »
I think it is an eclair tin too cookie.
But in this country they are much shallower. I looked today in several cookshops, and saw nothing.
Just as well as only buying essentials. ;D

We are eating very well, thanks to encouragement from here. ;D
The eclair tins in the shop were different,   Much shallower and made of lighter metal.  That said,  you could bake eclair's in this tin.
DJ,  I think it is best to keep out of these cookware shops.  Yesterday I bought a pie bird,(can't find mine), a star to stamp out shortbread,  and a bread tin. 

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 11:04:31 pm »
LOL chookie.
I only bought jars and bottles for my hampers, labels to handwrite, paper cases for the individual panettone, some heavy duty sink magic stuff as the drains smell here even after washing soda, and two new baking trays. One was half price, they should last 10 years. After it took me longer to take the Foccacia out of the old tin, last month, than make it I knew it was time for new trays, but worth spending a little more and they will last. I waited for a special offer and got two for £20. I was expecting to work tomorrow, which would have helped  but got cancelled. They'll be something else soon.

My 4 flat baking sheets are over 30 years old, they were French and very heavy but still fabulous.

I tend to go round these shops laughing and saying gosh I never knew I needed that!!! LOL.
Actually it was good to go in person as several things I thought I'd get from the catalogue weren't as good when I saw them. Like paper cases.
Just forgot the cellophane bags for fudge etc.

I also bought two new pinnies On sale. One for cooking, and one for nannying.
Most my aprons are so old. Two have fallen apart in recent weeks, both 25 to 30 years old. The other 3 I have are just as old.
Another is still ok but too stained even after a boil wash to wear on a nanny job. It is only 7 years a lovely present from my late ma in law. I think of her whenever I wear it.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 11:29:40 pm »
Have made this today but had to use half laucke rye sourdough flour because I ran out of normal bread flour. It didn't rise as well as I was expecting so thinking that's the rye flour.  Not out of the oven yet and have to go and pick DS up from basketball practice, I'm hoping DD will hear the timer and remember I asked her to take it out.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:46 pm »
Heavens Wonder,  I wonder haw you manage t cook anything.  yes the rye would not rise as well.  tell us how it tastes.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 12:38:45 am »
Well DD remembered to take it out and it's one on the nicest loaves I've made. It's so light, not a crispy crust but tastes fantastic. Had a quick couple pieces before rushing back out to take DD to pick up the last few things for her trip to Cambodia.

Thanks for the recipe cookie, I might make another one later in the day but put in a read tin.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 12:39:23 am »

Forgot the pictures.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 01:10:59 am »
Chookie or Cookie - why do you think the crust isn't crisp on this recipe.  I love it and love the way the rises are so quick but it would be even better if it was crisp I think. Having said that, it is not enough to stop me doing it again.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 04:45:06 am »
Made another one this afternoon for sandwiches and its risen really well. I bought a small packet of Laucke bread flour and used 180grams the Rye and the remainder white. Will be interesting to see the texture of this one.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2012, 11:12:20 am »
Judy, i think the crust is soft because of the proportion of water to flour.  If you pop it in a hot oven for a few mins. it will give you a crisp crust.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 11:24:44 am »
One of the reasons we love it is because of the softer crust. DHLikes crisp crusts but he is out voted.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Re: One very large vienna loaf or two smaller ones.
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 02:10:57 am »
Well the second one turned out great and rose very well. I didn't worry about freezing and it's beautiful and soft today. I'm very fussy with day old bread and would normally freeze straight away or only use for toast but this was great for a sandwich.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:49 am »
Well the second one turned out great and rose very well. I didn't worry about freezing and it's beautiful and soft today. I'm very fussy with day old bread and would normally freeze straight away or only use for toast but this was great for a sandwich.

Wonder,  couldn't agree more.