Author Topic: Berry Fruity Dream with Frozen Cranberries -Help!!!  (Read 6181 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Berry Fruity Dream with Frozen Cranberries -Help!!!
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:57:17 am »
I've never done anything with cranberries other than use dried ones in biscuits, breads, breakfast etc.  Tonight I tried the Berry Fruity Dream recipe using about 540 gm of frozen cranberries.  Oh! MY!!!! As tart as can be and leaves the mouth feeling like I don't know what!!  Obviously, the wrong choice berry for this recipe (we live and learn!! ??? )  I have all but two spoons of it in the freezer now and have no idea what to do with it!  I'd hate to waste it so if anyone has an idea of how I can use this up - or rescue it to make it reasonably palatable I'd be really grateful!!!!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Berry Fruity Dream with Frozen Cranberries -Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
Gosh that would have been tart.  I have only used dried sweetened cranberries (craisins) and they have a lot of sugar in them to make them sweet. I think you would have to add a large amount of sweetener to make it edible. Icing sugar would be your best bet (not healthy I know).  :)

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »
Hi Chelsea - thanks - I figured I'd have to add heaps of some kind of sweetener - the word "tart" doesn't even come close!!  It really ties your tonsils in knots!!! :D
The recipe itself is great - providing you use the right kind of fruit - we like mango and replacing the eggwhite with coconut cream

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:25:37 pm »
What about folding all or some it through vanilla icecream, or mix it with sugar and use it for the base of a fruit sponge for dessert?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:21:44 am »
Hi Cookie1 - Finally got to try out your suggestion about the vanilla icecream!  It works a treat!  Just a few spoons of the cranberry stuff into a bowl of icecream - needs to be stirred in well though or otherwise you end up with those tarty bits attacking your tongue.  Actually, it's becoming quite addictive! ;D  So thanks a million!! - it would have been such a shame to have to toss it out.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 05:52:50 am »
That's great.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/