Author Topic: New Person  (Read 8967 times)

Offline TM_Ted

• Ted is from Woodville in Sth Aust.
    • View Profile
New Person
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:51 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have been logging in under my darling wifes login for some months, but have decided I should come out from under her skirt. No I am not gay. I have just been hiding as I do not see too many blokes participating in this forum.
We first saw TM31 on 11 Aug 2010 and I let her make the decision not to buy but I was very excited. Our Mixmaster is 1965ish with very bent blades and our Kitchen Wizz has broken plastic where the thing tells the motor "I am locked in place, you can start me now". Both still work but I was thinking it was time for something new. I also wanted something that would allow me to make shaved ice for cocktails. I had used a bullet blender and in Nov 2009 bought an Avalanche but this machine did not seem to want to shave the ice that we had made.
At the Varoma demo on 30 Sept 2010, darling wife decided we should have one. It arrived on 12 Oct.
I want to thank all of you for all the recipes, hints and tips I have got from this forum. TM31 is an invaluable appliance that we would not be without. Darling wife controls what happens in the kitchen in this house, after I have done the research etc. We have only made one mistake with our TM31 - trying to make cappuccino. Somewhere in this forum is someone who will unlock that secret for me, I just have not found the correct posting.
Thanks again, Ted
Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Person
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:03 am »
Hi Ted, welcome to the forum.  We have a few guys on here and it is always nice to greet another, men do so much more in the kitchen these days (some do anyway :-)) :-))) and it sounds like you are enjoying your new toy.  I have made the cappuccino from the EDC and I quite enjoy it - it probably isn't the same as a coffee machine but it's good enough for me.  I bought a jar of Espresso coffee this week as I think that will enhance the flavour.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline TM_Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:38:38 am »
Thanks Judy. Have tried both using instant coffee from a jar (Nescafe Gold and the Greenblend) and also with brewed expresso using Lavazza Gold (my favorite). I suspect it could be the milk. I am not a milk lover, the only milk I drink is in my daily glass of FU Iced Coffee. We all have to get our Calcium somehow. It is high in carbohydrates, and takes me over my daily allowance, but I love the taste.
Ted

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:06:30 am »
Welcome TM_Ted. Great to have another male TMX user here.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:10 am »
 ;D ;D Guys and their FU Iced Coffee - you see them everywhere, it really seems to be a male thing.  Must cost them a fortune each week.  Are you using low fat milk Ted, it is best for frothing.

Offline TM_Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:26:18 am »
Judy - FU Iced Coffee - Our weekly shopping includes a 2L FU Iced Coffee. Retail is about $5.90 but it's generally $4.99. Always look for the specials, am always cost aware.

Frothing - TM31 froths every milk I have thrown at it fullstop. It's the flavour I have not been able to get right. Have used Calcium Plus and Pura Tone as per EDC. Also tried full cream but I am sure someone on this forum will have the secret.

Ted

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:46 am »
Hi TM Ted, your intro made me smile  ;D try TM Secret for Frothy Milk here. Hope it works for you  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:37:02 am »
Hi and welcome TM Ted. I'm glad you have come out from your wife's skirts re the TMX. It sure is a wonder machine. Where are you from?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline TM_Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:34 am »
Hi Cookie1,

I was born in Sydney, lived in Broken Hill for 12 or 13 years, but since then I have been living in the Western Suburbs of Adelaide (Woodville).

I am not having any problems making frothy milk in the TM31. I am having trouble getting the correct coffee and milk mix so it tastes like a real cappuccino.

I agree, the TM31 is a wonder. What surprises me most is most people have never heard of them. There were glimpses on the last Masterchef series but no information shared with the masses.

Maybe I can be a small part of helping to share what a great kitchen appliance they are.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:21:55 am »
I just had to google FU iced coffee lol  ;D to see what it was. Maybe I have never seen it because I am in WA or because I don't look at flavored milk in the supermarket  ???
Welcome to the Forum Ted - have you tried making the brownie milk and the iced coffee version. Maybe you could kick your addiction and make your own flavored syrup?? Just google brownie milk and Thermomix to find it.

Also re the coffee we make our coffe in a coffee machine then add the frothed milk to it. I like mine milky so 1/4 coffee 3/4 milk but for a more authentic maybe half half ?? With lots of froth scooped from the top of the milk in the bowl. Does that make sense??

Meagan
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:21 am »
Hey Ted, didn't realise you lived so close to me here in South Australia.  Re the cappuccino, are you using 3 Tblspns coffee per 1 litre of milk.   I thought it seemed a lot of coffee considering we only use a teaspoon per cup in our normal mugs of coffee but I stuck to the recipe and it was fine. The espresso coffee is much stronger than normal coffee so it will be interesting when I try that as to whether it is too strong. 

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:45 am »
hi tm ted..and welcome..sorry cant help with the cappucino..havent used the thx for it..as have a coffee machine that makes all sorts of hot drinks so havent bothered testing them in the thx..i remember a post somewhere on users that made the frothy milk in the thx but dont remember anyone commenting on taste...you might be better to search info on the brand of cappucino your used to or where you buy it from ie searching how to make your own x cappucino?? maybe someone has cracked it flavour wise somewhere??

good also to see another male on the forum..and do we know your wife ie her pseudo/user name on here??? Bravo for getting involved with it..my DH as i have posted elsewhere wont touch it...but he has a very macho side in the sense he likes to be taken care of and not so much participate in household duties lol but cant complain there are worse out there and if i complain enough he helps out  :)

Dont know FU iced coffee and they dont make it here, your lucky to get a cappucino lol but the FU Brand they have here they make delishess deserts ie brownies and lots of chocolate based things and are quite expensive compared to other brands..dont konw if its the same FU but they are quite rich and fresh at teh same time!

look forward to seeing more posts from you and what else you are doing other than ice crushing/shaving and cappucinos??..there are more and more men joining up...good to see..only MM could tell us how many lol!!

look forward to hearing more from you soon Ted  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline TM_Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00:08 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, they are exactly what this forum is all about.

With the FU Iced Coffee, you can make a virtual copy with Milk, Bickfords Coffee and Chicory Essence and lots of sugar. You can get the taste right but when you do the sums, it is far more expensive than a 2L bottle at $4.99 relatively.

Cappuccino - Meagan and Judy, you have made some suggestions that I will try and see if I can get closer to the cappuccino flavor. Thanks, your suggestions are appreciated.

DW's pseudonym - I have to confess she does not even know she has it. I set it up hoping she would use it but searching the forum for recipes, hints and tips is part of my contribution to helping her with the TM31.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:16:14 am »
then just tell her you signed her up and get her onto the forum and leave out the when you signed her up and why lol...another set of eyes might bring something else to the table???

good luck with it all!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
Welcome - good to have an enthusiastic member on board.  Have fun
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.