Author Topic: Loving my New Thermomix  (Read 4656 times)

Offline wigwam28

• View Profile
Loving my New Thermomix
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:05:21 pm »
HI Everyone

I purchased the Thermomix a couple of weeks ago and am absolutely loving it.   I have two young children, 21 months and 4 and a half, so they are pretty fussy, so i bought it in the hope i could disguise veges!

One problem i have had though is a couple of dishes i have made, a mince curry (an old favourite i used to do on the stove with lots of hidden veges) and a beef stroganoff.  They have turned out a bit watery and i have added no extra liquid.  I do use zucchini though.  Does anyone have any tips for me?

Other than that, I have made some great things, love the rolls, the soups and we are a huge fan of the strawberry sorbet!  I definitely have a lot more experimenting to do and intend on searching for lots of recipes on this forum.  I don't normally join forums, but I definitely think I could get some great tips here!

Karen

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Loving my New Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:15:10 pm »
Hi Karen, welcome to the forum.  You will find that the TMX recipes need less water than conventional cooking (a bit like slow cookers in that regard) so reduce your liquid and if it is still too watery halfway through the cooking, take the MC off to help a bit of evaporation happen.   I like to thicken most things with cornflour and the extra liquid doesn't bother me - if I am serving the meal with rice, that soaks it up and if with vegies, I freeze excess thickened liquids for another time and use it as gravy on grilled or pan fried meat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline wigwam28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:27:32 pm »
Hi Karen, welcome to the forum.  You will find that the TMX recipes need less water than conventional cooking (a bit like slow cookers in that regard) so reduce your liquid and if it is still too watery halfway through the cooking, take the MC off to help a bit of evaporation happen.   I like to thicken most things with cornflour and the extra liquid doesn't bother me - if I am serving the meal with rice, that soaks it up and if with vegies, I freeze excess thickened liquids for another time and use it as gravy on grilled or pan fried meat.
Thanks for your reply Judy.  I think i'll take your advice and start adding some cornflour, as I haven't been adding any water to the Thermomix and i have been cooking with the MC off.  Also, i guess zuchinni's are quite watery and on a stove you can always cook off, but you can't cook off in a thermomix that i have discovered?

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »
Hi wigwam and welcome... It also comes down to thé style of cooking...even with méat thé thx retains more moisture.... I usually add some cornflour mixed with a little water in thé last couple of minutes cooking time to thicken up dishes  :) oops meant to add like JD does lol
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:08:51 pm by Frozzie »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »
Hi Karen and welcome to the forum. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »
Hello and welcome. I don't think the experimenting and learning will ever end with the tmx. I can't get over how different we eat now and it's all still evolving, it's very exciting. You will wonder how you ever lived without it!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »
Hi Karen and welcome to the forum - there is nothing like practice when it comes to learning the in and outs of cooking with thermie - thankfully it is a task we all enjoy!!!!
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:41:05 am »
Welcome Karen. You will be amazed at how quickly you begin to adapt to 'handling' the TMX. This forum is certainly worth joining. It is ever so friendly and helpful.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »
Welcome karen, as JD says - less moisture as in the slow-cooker is a good rule
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:46 am »
Welcome wigwam28 - your kids will love all the new things your making - just don't tell them, it's healthy!!  ;)