Author Topic: Want to LOVE it - but the jury's still out . . .  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Bets

• View Profile
Want to LOVE it - but the jury's still out . . .
« on: April 25, 2011, 05:02:08 pm »
Greetings from Toronto, Canada! I was so eager to see Thermomix in action that I attended a demo in Polish (which I do not speak!) about 3 weeks ago  - and of course purchased it right on the spot because, like cgonsalv, I am a kitchen gadget freak. I haven't told my husband how much it cost - but I have had him take all of my other machines (and believe me, I have them all, including a Vitamix blender and Kitchen Aid mixer) out to the garage.

Meanwhile - success has been mixed. I made a nice vegetable soup to take to work for lunch, just by throwing leftovers in the TM while I was getting dressed in the morning. But risotto - which is supposed to be a forte of the TM - took much longer to cook than the recipe said, and it came out very gluey and gloppy, rather than creamy Since then, I have been unable to get the smell of the risotto out of the rubber ring in cover. No wonder my morning smoothie tastes of onions!  :(

Bread has been okay - definitely easier than any other method, but kind of dense and compacted, with a very yeasty aftertaste.
Sorbets are nice, but I could have made them in the Cuisinart or Vitamix (not that I ever did). It is an advantage that the TM is always on the counter ready to use.

Steamed chicken and vegetable meal in the Varoma was boring, despite the seasonings I used.

Of course I accept that there is learning curve - but I would feel terrible, not to mention deeply ashamed, if the TM were ever to be
relegated to the garage! So I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and profiting form your collective wisdom and experience.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Want to LOVE it - but the jury's still out . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »
Hi Bets welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are feeling a little concerned and disappointed. We will get you going  ;)
Did you follow the recipe for the risotto?

As for the seal make sure you take it out and wash it thoroughly. You might like to try soaking it in a vinegar and water or bicarbonate solution or running the lid and seal through the dishwasher.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
I've cooked some extremely aromatic things in mine and have had no problem with residual taste or smell.  Curry is the worst offender but separating the lid and seal and running them through the dishwasher removed the aroma and I have a very sensitive nose.

I did have to use a bicarb paste last week after cooking a dish made with ramps a friend had smuggled to me from South Carolina.
(Ramps are a wild onion that is extremely pungent - an onion/garlic with hint of horseradish flavor/aroma to the nth degree.) 
I scrubbed the lid and seal with the bicarb paste and followed up with a scrub with lemon halves after juicing - dipping them into salt for the scrub - then through the dishwasher.  No residual odor. 

There are some TMX results that I don't care for, in particular mashed potatoes.  It's easier for me to cook and mash them by hand the way I've been doing it for 60 years.

I love risotto and make it at least twice a week.  Before getting the TMX I rarely made it because I have arthritis and the constant stirring was an aggravation to my painful joints. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:58:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum Bets.Hopefully we can point you in the direction of some wonderful recipes here on the forum.There are many risotto recipes here, Faffa's Roasted Pumpkin and Feta Risotto is a favorite of many people.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2849.0
Read through this thread for ideas
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=5851.0
Keep asking for help,everyone is so friendly and will come to your aid. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:00:54 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:38 am »
Hi Bets, welcome to the forum.  What a shame you couldn't have an English speaking demo but there are a few people in your country who own Thermomixes and they have great success with theirs.  You will get there in the end with the help of this forum and others. Here's one in Canada which is very good.  Check out the recipes on our forum, many have great reviews and tweaks to suit people's tastes so you are bound to find success there. Andie is our American genius and her contributions of knowledge on this forum are well known.  Any questions, please feel free to ask.
There are some really tasty chicken recipes in the Mains section but you can always add more flavourings if you don't feel there is enough there for you.  Hope things improve for you and you are able to come back soon with news that things are looking up.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:37 am »
Hi Bets and welcome

Don't worry--I'm sure with more fiddling you will come to love your TMX as so many of us do!  Keep fiddling, it will be worth it and there is so much wonderful information on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. 

With regard to bread, try this:
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2665.0

I am a novice at breadmaking, and was happy with my first attempts with recipes that came in the cookbook that was delivered with the TMX, but with Isi's recipe you will get a really professional result--I hope you like it as much as I do. (Make sure you use breadmaking flour).

Hang in there and good luck!

Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:15 am »
Hi Bets and welcome. I think if you pick a couple of things you want to master with the TMX and let us know you will have them sorted in a couple of days. There is so many people here with such food knowledge it is amazing and then there are people who have just had their machines for a long time and have the experience to go with it all and help everyone out. I can say for sure that we here don't like people being unhappy with their machines and go all out to help so ask away as we are more than happy to help.

Good luck and hear from you soon.

p.s. I think you may have over cooked your risotto - the key with the TMX is to cook it for the times stated and allow it to rest and finish absorbing the liquid. Mine always look like rice soup when the cooking time is finished  ;) :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:48:16 am »
Welcome Bets

It does take a while to master. Still haven't. But the forum has some great recipes.

Do you have a partially clear seal?  There were problems with new seals retaining stink.

:-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:42 am »
Welcome Bets. I can understand how you feel. The way of cooking is quite different. As many people have suggested select a couple of recipes and we'll all try to answer any questions you have about the cooking of them. There are lots of lovely ones on the forum that many of us have tried and put our thoughts up.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:22:14 am »
Hi Bets, a lot of us had spectacular failures at first, but don't give up, once you get the hang of it there'll be no stopping you!
This is my chicken & mushroom risotto recipe - don't want to overwhelm you with risotto recipes, but have a look if you like. I've never had it fail. But do expect it to be 'soupy' until it sits for 5 or 10 mins in the covered serving dish.
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »
welcome bets
these guys will get you started off in the right direction...it does take a while to master cooking in the thermomix..the best bet is to either take some of the favourites off this forum and give them a try and/or cook some of your favourite recipes in it...easiest way is to search for something similar on here to use as a guide and try your hand at converting...quirkycooking has some tips on her blog here

just keep persevering you will get there and look to this forum and dont be afraid to ask questions..even post a recipe you need help converting etc

:)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Bets

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:53:58 am »
Wow - thanks for all the great responses! It's fascinating to see where everyone comes from. I'm sure it's just a matter of practice and trial and error. Thanks for all the tips - I will try them.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:36 am »
Welcome Bets - that's the secret just keep using it until you've got used to the way it cooks - you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!!  ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:13:26 am »
Said like a real saleswoman  ;) ;) ;) ;)  - but it is true  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 05:23:07 am »
:P Not so great at sales - haven't sold one in 2 months!! But still LOVE my TMX - that's what counts.  ;)