Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 196072 times)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2012, 04:37:59 am »
Back again, well Chookie it is a great recipe, i made mine with cardamon seeds and fresh nutmeg, they were very strong and I think I was a little heavy handed with the chilly pepper flakes, it was hot and spicy but very yummy.  The Gk's wouldn't like it to spicy so i will make another batch for them.  Was just wandering if anybody had added extra buttermilk (milk and Vinegar or lemon juice) at the end to the flour mix and made it like a batter, if so how did that work, my crumbs fell off a bit, but I still ate them.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2012, 04:56:35 am »
Back again, well Chookie it is a great recipe, i made mine with cardamon seeds and fresh nutmeg, they were very strong and I think I was a little heavy handed with the chilly pepper flakes, it was hot and spicy but very yummy.  The Gk's wouldn't like it to spicy so i will make another batch for them.  Was just wandering if anybody had added extra buttermilk (milk and Vinegar or lemon juice) at the end to the flour mix and made it like a batter, if so how did that work, my crumbs fell off a bit, but I still ate them.

How about a tin of creamed corn add,  for spicy corn cakes?
I often dust fish with the spices in a little flour and dry fry them.
For the GK I make 1/2 strength.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 03, 2012, 05:17:21 am »
I like the idea of the creamed corn, I did fry a couple of balls just to eat, hated throwing out the left overs will do the corn next time thanks.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:08 am »
I made the chicken tonight. The marinade made it very tasty but after rolling the first few pieces of chicken in this flour-spice mix, it became gluggy and would not stick to the chicken pieces. What is the secret to successful rolling of the mix in the chicken?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:06 am »
Courton,  not sure,  never had this happen.  Maybe too much buttermilk in the flour mix.

Offline Lisel

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2012, 02:16:13 am »
I made this last night, wow!  I cut my chicken into nuggets (I'm always on the lookout for recipes I can call fast food names so my kids don't know they are deprived :D) and used natural yoghurt instead of  buttermilk.  I think I was a little heavy handed with the cayenne, the kids were not keen on the first batch, but after I scraped the yoghurt mix off their pieces they were fine.

I gave them a quick spray of olive oil and cooked them on a rack in the oven for 15 mins.  Perfect.  Made the coleslaw from the EDC which DS's (12 months) and I enjoyed (DD and DH are fussy salad eaters).  Might do wedges next time as well.
Vegetarian mum to carnivores DH, DD and twin DS's.

Offline Lisel

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2012, 02:23:29 am »
I made the chicken tonight. The marinade made it very tasty but after rolling the first few pieces of chicken in this flour-spice mix, it became gluggy and would not stick to the chicken pieces. What is the secret to successful rolling of the mix in the chicken?

With my last batch (I made 3 from about 500g of chicken thighs) the flour mix was getting a bit gluggy.  My recipe was a bit different as I substituted yoghurt for buttermilk, and I didn't drain it off, I just popped it into the flour mix.  I rubbed the lumps in as I went, but the last few were not nearly as good as the first few batches.

So I am wondering if you didn't drain enough buttermilk off?  Or too much came off in the flour?  I gently did piece by piece, which was time consuming but I didn't want to loose all the yogurt mix.
Vegetarian mum to carnivores DH, DD and twin DS's.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2012, 03:04:12 am »
Yes, I think I will make sure it is very drained before trying to mix the chicken with the mixture. It was very yummy though !!!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:56 am »
Maybe if you divide the flour mix into 2,  as it seems the problem happens at the end.  Do 1/2 with the first lot of flour and then the second lot with the second lot of flour.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:42:01 am by judydawn »

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2012, 03:18:25 am »
Good thinking No. 1!!!! :)

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2012, 07:08:32 am »
LOL.
I love this recipe..
Every time I visit the market I buy what I think I need to make the KFC mix.
And I get out the recipe and there is always something else I need    ;D   ;D   ;D
The spice man loves me.   I visit every week.
Eventually I will get the complete list together without having used up all of one or more of the spices in something else.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »
RosieB,  although I worked hard to get an authentic taste to this recipe,  feel free to experiment.   I make up quite a large lot, x8, and it keeps quite well.  I use it in lots of different strengths in may recipes.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:47 am »
Had this again tonight. I think I have made this about 4 or 5 times in the last 16 months. We all love it. So yummy. I add a little extra buttermilk to the coating mixture to make it a little lumpier so when it cooks there are more crunchy bits.  A great recipe that I will be making for years to come :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2012, 10:55:36 am »
Dede, glad you like it.  We had it for dinner tonight.  !!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:12 am »
Yes it's a great recipe Chookie, the kids (and DH) always get excited when they ask 'what's for dinner' and I reply KFC chicken, usually the response is something like
'yes thanks mum'
'I love you mum'
'your the best'
'nice'
'oh good cause I'm so hungry'
:D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.