Author Topic: Plain White rolls - no fuss  (Read 341213 times)

Offline auds

• View Profile
Re: Plain White rolls - no fuss
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2011, 11:36:34 am »
Sorry this was. A huge failure for me.  I made 8 rolls. They didn't rise at all in the oven and I just about needed a jackhammer to cut them. They were very dense.  Won't make again sorry

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2011, 12:28:51 pm »
Auds,  you must not give up.  Answer some ? and we will work out what went wrong.

What flour did you use?
How hot was the water?
What yeast did you use?  and how much? Was it fresh.?
How long did it rise for?  How hot was the oven?

If the dough rose 1  1/2 times in 30 mins., then the problem was after this.  Did it double?  Even if it didn't it should have risen in the oven.  If it over proofs (rises) it can collapse and give a flat hard loaf. 
Many first time bread makers have problems,  but succeed in the end.

If you live close I could give you a lesson,  if not answer the above ? and we will see what went wrong..

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »
I used bakers flour and yeast we bought recently.  The water was warm enough I think.the boss said he usually puts his yeast in warm water first to. Make sure it will react before putting in the flour. I left it for ages. At one point it didn't get any bigger and my kids were starving. By that time it had been sitting for about two hours

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:06 pm »
Not sure but you may have a problem with your yeast.   The water should be warm like a baby bottle.  100 mls of boiling water to 200mls of cold gives the correct temp.  If the yeast is ok there is no need with this recipe to add it to the water first.  Just put it all in the TMX bowl and knead for 4 mins.  Leave in bowl , in a warm place.  Should reach top of lid in 1 hour.
The yeast has to be kept air tight.  Some people keep it in the freezer.  Please have another go when you have time and the kids are not starving.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2011, 03:09:22 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problem with this recipe auds..I would listen to chookie and give this recipe another go...its a good basic recipe to have that works and not many have any problems with it...you just need to find out where your going wrong whether that be the yeast or over rising the dough etc, water too hot also salt can kill the yeast so they cant touch..anyway perservere..chookie is a great bread maker and the recipe is a solid one so hang in there  :D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »
I will give this another go over the weekend. Thanks all  :-*

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2011, 11:52:33 pm »
auds, I made this on Wednesday (my first ever bread) and it was delicious. I placed the bowl near the gas heater (as it was a cold day) and it rose nicely. Also after spraying with water I sprinkled some dry Italian Herbs and grated cheese on top before baking.

Keep trying hun, I know it is disappointing when a recipe doesn't work but as the saying goes "If at first you don't succeed, try and try again".

Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:54 am »
I wasnt giving up on bread I was just going to try another recipe.  Now you lot have made me determined to stick with this one until I get it right LOL

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2011, 12:39:07 am »
auds,  that's the spirit.  If you want to try another recipe,  try Isi's Portuguse Rolls.  They got a lot of Forum members making bread for the first time.

Offline luel

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2011, 07:01:09 am »
Like many other have said, this is an awesome bread recipe.  I've tried quite a few different recipes now and this one gives the yummiest loaf.  If using just white flour the rise is fantastic.  I tend to mix in about 100-150gms of wheat grain/buckwheat (ground first).  The rise isn't as high, bread is slightly denser (not much) and its delish.  I also add 2 Tbsp of chia gel (chia seeds soaked in water).  To compensate for the extra moister the chia gel brings, I increase the flour content to 540gms.  So far I haven't had a bad loaf.  I also add about 4 Tbsp of other seeds.  I was using Lupin flour for a while too (about 50gms, instead of the buckwheat), but with this loaf it makes it just a bit too dense.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2011, 09:16:31 am »
luel,  I am so glad to hear of your experiments and successes.  Like you I hardly ever make the same loaf twice and therefore never get sick of this recipe.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »
Hi guys, I just want to check, the final rise is best done with the bread already formed or in the container you want to cook it in right? That will have it cook at its fluffiest. I usually take the dough our of my bread machine and then roll or shape, but so far haven't let it rise again (as its done two) but it does seem denser.i think I need to let it rise again before cooking it.

Also noted someone mentioned not to let it rise too much? What is meant by that...is a third rise too much? Am new and haven't opened my thermie yet, but am going to start just doing the dough in it and do the two rises... one in bread mat and one in the rolls or tin etc.

Thanks guys!
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #267 on: December 11, 2011, 08:12:16 pm »
Hi guys, I just want to check, the final rise is best done with the bread already formed or in the container you want to cook it in right? That will have it cook at its fluffiest. I usually take the dough our of my bread machine and then roll or shape, but so far haven't let it rise again (as its done two) but it does seem denser.i think I need to let it rise again before cooking it.

Also noted someone mentioned not to let it rise too much? What is meant by that...is a third rise too much? Am new and haven't opened my thermie yet, but am going to start just doing the dough in it and do the two rises... one in bread mat and one in the rolls or tin etc.

Thanks guys!

After you remove the dough from your bread machine,  it needs to rise again, to nearly double.  If you over rise it this time, it may collapse.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2011, 11:33:01 pm »
Took my herb and cheese version of this to lunch at SIL yesterday. Everyone loved it and my DH nanna thought it was bought bread and when I said I made it, she was very impressed.

Thanks again
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 12, 2011, 12:37:14 am »
High praise indeed.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/