Author Topic: Quince paste help needed please  (Read 54818 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Quince paste help needed please
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:33 am »
yes they look lovely  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:37 am »
It must be so satisfying to do something with your homegrown fruit maddy - means a busy period but better than the fruit going to waste. Well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:12 am »
I'm yet to taste quince paste, but every time I see one of yours it makes me want to.  No luck getting any quinces here.  :(

I would gladly send you some Julie....but not sure how it would fare in the post  ???

It must be so satisfying to do something with your homegrown fruit maddy - means a busy period but better than the fruit going to waste. Well done.

It is satisfying, as long as I can beat the birds & possums having a grand feast first  >:(
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2011, 05:05:09 am »
OMG - just saw the photos.  I did about 4 batches this year and have given most away.

Think this would have to be a very good use for the TMX.  Makes a horrible task so easy.  I recall from Maggie Beer's recipe where she wrapped towels over her arms to stop it burning when it spat up.

I have tried the recipes with pulp in, but still prefer the softer texture this produces, even if it is a little more work.

Good to see you supporting the Australian Sugar Industry Maddy  ;) ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:02 am »
Thanks Maddy, it's the thought that counts.  :-*

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2011, 11:20:33 am »

Good to see you supporting the Australian Sugar Industry Maddy  ;) ;) ;)

LOL.....just trying to do my bit  :D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2011, 07:19:19 am »
you can make a percentage of the recipe.  Just weigh the quinces and judge what proportion of the original recipe you have.

I've just put a 'half batch' on... my friend's tree didn't have quite as many quinces on it as we first thought.
Any ideas as to whether I should reduce the cooking time? I've set it for the full 50 minutes but am worried that if I over cook it, it will set so hard we'll need a chainsaw to cut it  :)

I bought some quinces today at a farmers market, and only bought 800g of them (they felt heavier). Going to give this one a try, and not being an experienced jam maker was wondering what the cooking time ended up being for a half batch? Clues, tips and suggestions anyone?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:21 am »
I just cooked a half batch of this, not much liquid came out of the quinces and so the resulting 'thing' is very pasty not jelly like in the pictures. too scared to take it out of the TM as I think its going to be burnt on the bottom. Never tasted quinces before and I don't think I will even taste this...don't think this has been a success  :'(

Footnote: what a disaster, it turned into toffee  :'( I managed to prise the blades out, and have everything soaking in hot water in the sink  :'(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:10:13 am by CreamPuff63 »

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2011, 07:25:33 am »
oh non cp  >:(  where is maddy or thermomixer when you need them!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:58 am »
Bummer.
I've made this recipe and it turned out really very well except that it never turned pink for me.  I suspect it is my quinces, though, as I've tried other recipes with them and they don't change colour.

I just cooked a half batch of this, not much liquid came out of the quinces and so the resulting 'thing' is very pasty not jelly like in the pictures. too scared to take it out of the TM as I think its going to be burnt on the bottom. Never tasted quinces before and I don't think I will even taste this...don't think this has been a success  :'(

Footnote: what a disaster, it turned into toffee  :'( I managed to prise the blades out, and have everything soaking in hot water in the sink  :'(
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:08 pm »
I  thought that quinces would be a little like pears (ie. soft), but mine were quite hard to peel and core. Perhaps they were not ripe, although you would think that buying from a farmers market they would only sell when they were ripe wouldn't you? They had turned pink though after peeling and coring, but when the sugar was added and then cooked turned to hard toffee.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »
They probably were ripe - quinces are a pretty hard fruit and don't go soft even when ripe.  They always have to be cooked for a long time and are really gorgeous if slow-cooked in the oven with cinnamon and star anise.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 06:52:38 am »
ah thanks Amanda, perhaps I should give this another go next weekend with the correct amount this time. Those quince pictures just look so delectable. All the toffee came off with lots and lots of soaking in really hot water. I was very careful because I was scared to ruin my blades.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2011, 09:29:22 am »
CP63, some quinces don't colour up as easily as others.  You could have added boiling water to the toffee and gently reheated,  like you would jam if it set too firm.   bit hit and miss though.  Quinces are very hard and will go rotten before they would go soft.  "very strange fruit.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 05:47:39 am »
I have finally seen some quinces at the local market and would love to make quince paste. But how can I tell if the quinces are ready or ripe enough to make thermomixer's recipe?