Author Topic: Vanilla Extract - from Shayla  (Read 158981 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Extract - from Shayla
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 01:00:27 pm »
It was customs that I checked with as my friend brings them in. She said she declares them but I wanted to check. Can only give it a go and see what they do. It really depends on the person and the day with everything you bring back. i have had stuff that I have bought back several times and always declared and then the next time they take it off you and so you try again and it is ok. I have learnt that if you aren't prepared to lose it then don't bring it back!!  ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »
That's OK - I have brought chillis back and all OK and then the next time had them cut open and thrown in the bin.

As long as you know what they're like - it's OK - good luck
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 02:49:33 pm »
When my girls took me to America a bit back and we did a bus tour to Tijuana (just over the border and into Mexico), I noticed (apart from the zebra striped painted donkey everyone was having a photo taken with!) that there were signs everywhere advertising the sale of bottles of pure vanilla essence.  Apparently it was really cheap but I only used to use imitation vanilla essence back then and couldn't understand their obsession with the real thing.  Anyone know why they were making such a big deal of it - do they grow the beans there I wonder?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 03:05:04 pm »
I have learnt that if you aren't prepared to lose it then don't bring it back!!  ;D ;D ;D

I agree Kathryn, particularly if you are travelling around Asia.  We have found that we are much more likely to get things confiscated from our travels in Asia and the Oceania region than most other parts of the world.  It seems that food preparation and classification is not as strict or honest in that part of the world - although the packaging and sellers would have you believe otherwise.  It's strange because we can bring almost anything home from Africa (and I'm not referring to our Ethiopian son ;)), where you would think there would be similar problems.  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »
You are right Chelsea and it can get a bit annoying with constantly changing goal posts which is why we have that philosophy now. At the end of the day it is all for the good of our own wonderful country and I accept that.  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »
I am glad to hear so many of you are making the vanilla extract. Great to hear of variations - here in South Africa - for those that browse and not post vanilla can be bought from http://www.vanillaman.co.za/ and he has an alcohol free extract for those that do not use alcohol.
Shayla in Cape Town
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:20:07 am by Shayla »

Offline Thermo convert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 02:11:35 am »
Grateful thanks to you all for your advice.  Am off the get the vodka this morning.  Have ordered the beans over the net.
Thankyou again for your helpful advice.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 03:06:06 am »
Welcome to the site Thermo convert - hope you find lots more useful info here.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 03:08:12 am »
Hello & welcome Thermo Convert - you snuck through the back door but Thermomixer will track down all newcomers to welcome them. Have fun here, you will learn heaps.

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 02:43:01 am »
I use brandy in mine, not vodka - about 4 pods, spit open and in a 200ml or so jar with some brandy.  Let sit (shake) for a few weeks, then use.  Top up with brandy when it's half empty (shake)....  That's what I've done so far, anyway. :)  Been using this extract for months - strong and cheap. :)  Mine's in the cupboard, in the dark.
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 05:48:16 am »
Any reason why you use brandy Bel?  Does it taste differently?  :)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 12:12:52 pm »
Hmmm I've used vodka until now.. but might do a couple with brandy to test a theory! ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 10:53:51 pm »
Never thougt to make my own vanilla extract. Next to my TMX I love my distillary and make my own white spirit so I could make the vanilla extract with just about any flavour around. Ummmmm. Thinking now.  About the only thing I don't make is Scotch  Whiskey as I cannot seem to get the flavour just right even though I have tried every process.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 02:10:21 am »
What a clever cookie you are Gretchen - this forum never ceases to amaze me with what our wonderful members get up to behind closed doors  :o :o :o :o  You would be every man's dream  ;) ;)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:04 am »
Now that is funny Judy.  Maybe I should have set up a distillery when I as 20 eh?  You don't need much to do it. I can make 6 litlres of pure alcohol at 50% with 6 kilos of sugar and a packet of brewers yeast. Only takes about  week to ferment and a few hours of  distilling with an air distiller before filtering it into bottles. Not as much fun as the TMX though. Anyone for VANILLA Vodka?

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.