Author Topic: How to make dried Ginger or preserve fresh ginger.  (Read 29851 times)

Offline snag

• View Profile
How to make dried Ginger or preserve fresh ginger.
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:47:26 am »
This is extremely easy, cooking is easy. It requires labour and if there is none required; do not eat that food.
Right OK so ginger.
Go to your local fruit and veggie store and pick up a root of ginger.
Take it home and cut it up into chips. 4 mil thick. Lay the chips out on a tray of baking paper. Put the ginger into an oven and dehydrate it at 50 degrees Celsius for about 2 to 3 hours. You know this is done when the ginger is well dry, hard.

Now the thermo mix plays its roll. Put the ginger chips into the therm and start blending at speed 10. You will hear loudsmashes and when it dies down and sounds fine. Turn thermi off and check it.

You want your ginger to be particles not chunks. You do not want powder.

Once you have achieved that consistency pour the dried, smashed Ginger into a container. I have a tea chest. It looks beautiful and smells amazing.

Now you can add say 1/2 teaspoon to your tea, with other leaves. Strained of course.
I do ginger and green tea with honey. Just lovely. Do you know the health benefits of ginger? If you do mot go read up on it. Now if you know anyone with cancer. Fill them in on the wisdom of ginger!

Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:24:48 am by judydawn »

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: How to make dried Ginger.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:53:56 am »
Thanks Snag.  I go through a lot of powdered ginger so I suppose I could just keep milling to get a fine powder suitable for cooking.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:08:06 am »
I wonder how it would work if you milled it first , it wouldn't  take so long to dry then give it another wizz at the end for powder.???

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:49 am »
This is what I do with  left over bits of ginger. Pop it into the Thermothingy and chop Into bits. Lay it on a pizza tray and leave  it outside to sit it in the sun until crisp and dry but when it is raining I pop it into the oven at about 60 over night. I store mine is a glass jar. Still keeps it's pungency. Never waste ginger as it is too expensive.

Works either way.
Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:12 am »
Thanks Gert & Brenda will both ways a try.  We used to be able to buy powdered ginger from Queensland down here but can't get it anymore.  The pungency of what I can get in the supermarkets just isn't as good.

Offline snag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:23:49 am »
I wonder how it would work if you milled it first , it wouldn't  take so long to dry then give it another wizz at the end for powder.???

You could do that.
Try it!
I imagine as you dry it in fine particles like that the nutritional content will be depleted if you dry it to long and to hot. I can see that working.

Offline snag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:21 am »
Thanks Snag.  I go through a lot of powdered ginger so I suppose I could just keep milling to get a fine powder suitable for cooking.

Yeah buy two ginger roots and you can make a good deal of powder and its real.

Offline snag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:25:20 am »
This is what I do with  left over bits of ginger. Pop it into the Thermothingy and chop Into bits. Lay it on a pizza tray and leave  it outside to sit it in the sun until crisp and dry but when it is raining I pop it into the oven at about 60 over night. I store mine is a glass jar. Still keeps it's pungency. Never waste ginger as it is too expensive.

Works either way.
Gert

Its so worth it, ginger is exspensive because it heals us :)

Worth every cent!

Offline snag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:26:06 am »
Thanks Gert & Brenda will both ways a try.  We used to be able to buy powdered ginger from Queensland down here but can't get it anymore.  The pungency of what I can get in the supermarkets just isn't as good.

Make that recipe I gace ya, easy and so nice, I use it in tea.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 08:44:56 pm »
Do you peel the ginger first or, like potatoes, is much of the nutritional benefits just under the skin?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:30:18 pm »
Just a different note on preserving ginger.
We bought quite a lot of ginger about a year ago and I desperately searched the internet for a way of storing it. The best one was to slice it into coins or discs , don't peel, and drop it into a jar of vodka or gin, you pick. So we now have fresh ginger on hand all the time. Haven't had to buy any for at least a year.

My brother is looking forward to trying the ginger vodka when we empty the jar, might be a while to go as we did buy a lot of ginger.
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:42:51 pm »
Cuilidh I never thought of peeling ginger. I don't know why you would but maybe some people do.

Good hint Lucyluu.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:41 pm »
Both these ideas are great!  Thanks Snag and Lucyluu - I'll be doing some of both! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:14:11 am »
When ginger is really young and fresh Gert the skin is paper thin but it's a different story when it's old and tough skin.  The piece I bought yesterday was lovely but we don't seem to be able to buy it like that down here very often.

Must try the vodka trick, thanks Lucyluu.  Does it need to be refrigerated?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 05:36:03 am »
I was amazed the first time we went to FNQ to see how lovely the ginger was. Most ginger here is gnarled and horrid. I did manage to grow a little last year. Thanks for the vodka tip, I will do it as soon as I see some nice ginger.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/