Author Topic: Vanilla Sugar (with photo)  (Read 18806 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Vanilla Sugar (with photo)
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »
It's been a while that I am making my own vanilla sugar
I guess you guys have it in your EDC books.
I don't how exactly is your vanilla sugar but here is mine.

Ingredients:
1 vanilla bean, cut into a few pieces
200g sugar

Preparation:

Put vanilla bean and sugar in a sterilized glass jar. Close tight the lid. Let it sit for 5 - 7 days. (According to the book Cucinare a Modo Mio it requires 2 - 3 days but I let it sit almost a week)

Pour contents of the jar in TM Bowl. Pulverize for 15 seconds on Speed 10.

Put it back into the jar, seal tight, store in a dry place.

*You can use 1 table spoon of this vanilla sugar in your recipes instead of 1 bag of vanillin sugar*

IMPORTANT NOTE: If I am using 10g or more vanilla sugar to replace vanillin sugar, I am reducing the actual amount of the sugar in the recipe. For example, if, in a recipe that requires the use of 100g sugar, I plan to use 20g of vanilla sugar instead of vanillin, I reduce the amount of sugar to 80g.

Purchasing vanilla beans:
Make sure that you purchase fresh vanilla beans. Fresh vanilla pods are moist, plump, and have a strong aroma. They should look shiny, not dull. You'd better avoid beans that look dried out and woody.

Additional Note: I started making also my own Vanilla Extract. I got the recipe from Cafe Fernando. You won't need Thermomix for that.
Practically I filled a bottle with 1 cup of vodka (240ml). I cut 3 vaniglia beans in lengthwise and then crosswise so that the beans would be immersed in vodka entirely. I stored the bottle in a cool dark place for 3 months before using, shaking the bottle once a week to help the extraction process. You can find further details in Cafe Fernando's page.

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.it/2013/09/vanilla-sugar-and-vanilla-extract.html

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Vanilla Sugar (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:27 pm »
Thanks for these recipes, Farfalina.  There is also a thread on here about making vanilla essence and some of us have followed that recipe.  However, I am not sure that there is a vanilla sugar thread so your post is great, especially as I have been thinking about making vanilla sugar recently for Xmas gifts.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:36 am »
Thank you for the link Cuilidh
I am checking it out at the moment.

Vanilla sugar would make such a lovely christmas gift
I saw some very pretty christmas gift wrapping ideas for jars on pinterest.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:26:27 am »
I have heaps of vanilla beans at the moment. will do this tonight.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url