Author Topic: Should I be wary of the EDC?  (Read 3892 times)

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
Should I be wary of the EDC?
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:14:36 am »
I think my thermie must be half-way between Perth and Brisbane by now - fingers crossed for a delivery next week! 

I'm getting rather excited and going through some recipes here to work out what it is I'm going to cook first!  The thing is though that most posts I read talk about the EDC being wrong.  Maybe it's just the recipes that I happen to read, and maybe some are OK, but I"m wondering if I ditch the book altogether and just keep an eye on what's here, or is it OK for most things?? 

I'd hope that as recipe errors or tweaks are found that the book would be reprinted. I really hate wasting things - though expect to have a few disasters as I start to work the machine out. 

What did you find when you first started out - lots of disasters with the book, or pretty good generally? 

Thanks for your help :)
Sandra

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be wary of the EDC?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:20:02 am »
Sandra, I don't know that HO would listen to our tweaks and change the recipes accordingly.  I didn't like the EDC for recipes but don't ditch it, it is a great reference book.  If you want to do any recipes from there just make sure you check out the reviews on the forum first - some may be OK with some changes.  I'd be more inclined to pick some recipes from the forum first - I never had that luxury when I first got my machine as I didn't find this forum for a couple of months and of course it is so much bigger now than it was back then.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

stacelee

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:37:54 am »
I'm with judydawn.  I don't really cook out of the edc but use it to help convert other recipes.  I actually have it scanned to PDF so that I can pull it up on the fly when I am playing in the kitchen.  I'm gradually converting it into "paprika" format and then I'm going to go through them and make the forums changes to them.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:47:06 am »
The uk version is excellent. Aust version is very mediocre

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:38 am »
I found the EDC was good for learning the basic functions and some basic recipes, but I didn't think much of many of the dishes. I think custard and bechamel sauce are the only recipes from the EDC that we make regularly.

Offline natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 11:01:42 am »
HI Sandra, I'm only new myself and have had a lot of failures with the edc so far.  Some are my fault though as I am still getting used to the tmx.  I have really liked the pizza and bread recipie so far (except I don't mill the buckwheat as my family don't like it so I just add an extra 100g of flour to replace it).  I have also found the butter and stock recipies very good.  I haven't tried a lot more.  I think I will still use it as a reference for a long time.  Hey if you don't like it, sell it on e-bay, they go for around $120 or more there.  HTH, Natalia

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »
Thanks Ladies! 

I will make sure I check up here first - I'm getting hungry just readying through all recipes :)

I'm sure it will be a learning curve but how great to have this forum as reference and support. I am sure you'll be hearing from me next week - or as soon as I get my new little toy!!

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:43:21 am »
There is a new edition of the EDC coming out ealy next year, I believe.  CraftMum, you don't need to be wary, but you could be prepared and put some stickynotes onto the recipes where there have been errors pointed out.  You will find these listed on http://www.recipecommunity.com.au in the FORUM section.
http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/content/changes-everyday-cookbook
There aren't many.  Some objections to recipes are really a matter of taste, eg some Thermomix fans don't fancy the Apricot Chicken Risotto recipe in EDC, whereas others (including our family) find it delicious, just as is.  Wait until you receive the book, then judge for yourself.  I'm tipping you will be delighted.  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:59:20 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution