Author Topic: Creamy (non-dairy) chicken, garlic & sundried tomato bake  (Read 14035 times)

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
This recipe was inspired by the Leggo's jar of creamy garlic and sundried tomato bake!  My fiance loves it and we have been buying the jars for years, so that he is able to cook something half decent (instead of always toasted sandwiches when I'm not around!).  My thermomix friend & mentor (bigTcup) came over recently for dinner and I think she was appalled that we were using a jar.. hehe!  And rightfully so!  She read out the ingredients which seemed pretty basic, plus all the preservatives and numbers of course.  I resolved to try and remake the sauce from scratch using fresh ingredients, and the result was amazing!  Even my fiance couldn't fault it and said it tasted just like the real thing!  

So excited... this is my first 'made up' recipe using thermie.  Very big thank you to Quirky Jo (quirkycooking) and judydawn for their recipes!  The fact that I didn't have to use cream in the sauce made me very happy, as it is now a much healthier version!  Now I just have to figure out a way to get the 'melted cheese' on the top of it without it being dairy - and without the fiance being too upset! ;)  

You could easily make this just a pasta sauce with chicken and no cheese on top for a dairy free option of course :)  Hope you like it!

Creamy (non-dairy) chicken, garlic & sundried tomato bake :

Serves number of People: 6

Ingredients:
250g spiral pasta (could use gluten free for a GF version) :)
4 big cloves of garlic
10g of EVOO
10 sundried tomatoes
approx. 1.5 cups of judydawn's Napolitana Sauce: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=6255.0
approx. 1 cup of Quirky Jo's dairy free sour cream: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/dairy-free-sour-cream-substitute.html
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
about 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese.. if desired.  Could possibly try a dairy free version of this too, but I was happy with just the sour cream being substituted this time around.  Will try a dairy free topping next time!

Preparation:

Bring the pasta to boil in a saucepan and cook until al dente (is that right?!), I cooked mine for about 10 mins.  Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees.

Whilst the pasta is cooking, brown the chicken in a frypan with a light spray of oil - about 6-8 minute - don't overcook as it is going to be baked too!  Then make the sauce:

1. To make the sauce, in a clean and dry thermie - turn the speed to 8 and drop the garlic cloves through the lid.  Once minced, turn off and scrape down the sides.  
2. Add EVOO and saute the garlic at 100 degrees for 2 minutes, speed 1 with the measuring cup off.
3. Add the sundried tomatoes and whiz on speed 8 for 10 seconds, depending on how chunky you would like your sauce.
4. Add the Napolitana sauce and sour cream, then cook for 6 minutes, 80 degrees, speed 2  :-:

To assemble:
In a casserole dish, add the drained pasta, chicken and half the sauce - then stir well.  Top with grated cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  Serve with a garden salad!

The remaining sauce can be stored in the fridge, ready to use next time! (Or in my case, ready for the other half to be able to use without me here!)

Photos:
Oops... it was gobbled down before I could take a photo!  Next time :)

Tips/Hints:
I actually made this with leftover napolitana sauce that was a bit of a failure - as I originally halved judydawn's recipe to make the sauce but failed miserably by only halving some of the ingredients!  The result was a very salty napolitana sauce - so when I made this pasta sauce I added a tin of chopped tomatoes to break it up a bit which worked like a charm.  Tasted like the real thing!  

members' comments

Jakodai - I made this and it was really nice. It almost seems a little dry to look at, so I was a little worried but taste-wise it was delicious. I will definitely be making this again but I think I'll use sour cream or cream instead of the non-dairy alternative as we don't have any dietary restrictions. I think this might make a difference with the dry-ish look of it. Thanks Kim!

cookie - It was delicious. I did make a couple of changes. Instead of Quirky Jo's sour cream I used natural yoghurt.  Also instead of mixing the sauce and cream together and then only using half, I simply used half the quantity to mix together. This will definitely be made again.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:36:29 am by judydawn »

jakodai

Re: Creamy (non-dairy) chicken, garlic & sundried tomato bake
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:35 pm »
I have bookmarked this, thank you. I love a good pasta bake!

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »
Yay thanks jakodai for commenting!  Let me know if you like it :)  I'm so excited!

I just wanted to add that normally after eating the Leggo's version... my fiance and I normally get a bout of heartburn.  And after this version - 3 hours later and no heartburn!!! Yay! :)

jakodai

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:27:42 pm »
Yay thanks jakodai for commenting!  Let me know if you like it :)  I'm so excited!

I just wanted to add that normally after eating the Leggo's version... my fiance and I normally get a bout of heartburn.  And after this version - 3 hours later and no heartburn!!! Yay! :)
My thermomix arrives on Saturday and I think this one will be cooked during its first week! I will certainly let you know once it's done.

It's funny how preservatives can do funny things to us. If me or my son have a smoothy from Wendy's or a thickshake from McDonalds it triggers our asthma.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:25:18 am »
With the help of bigTcup, you've done well Kimby83 - this is what we all set out to do, replace supermarket jars with our own. With your first effort being such a success, you will now go on to bigger and better things.

Here's a link to dairy free cheese substitutes - a bit of reading there for you but you may find something that works for you.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:01:14 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kylie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:51:35 pm »
Quirky Jo also has a recipe for 'melty cheese' on her blog - I haven't tried it yet but I think it would work for your cheese top. Or, Cheezy makes a soy melting cheese (also untried - just very recently been researching dairy free options).

This recipe sounds great and I'll definitely be trying it.

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »
Well done Kimby83!!  This recipe sounds yum, I have this on the menu plan for this week.  :) :)
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:19 am »
YUM - on my ever growing 'to try' list!  :)
:D

Offline Stoked

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:05:24 pm »
On my list too!

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
Yes I must give the 'melty cheese' a go from Quirky's website.  Will let you know how it turns out!

Offline mahala

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:46:04 am »
If you wanted to do a dairy one, could you just use plain sour cream or thickened cream?

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:41:04 am »
Well done Kkmby83. It sound great and having a DD who is dairy free, this sounds like a great one to try. Will let you know how it goes once I've made it.

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »
Hi Mahala. Yes I would just use plain cream, or sour cream. :)

Thanks RoxyS! Hope your DD enjoys it!

jakodai

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:29:19 am »
I made this last night and it was really nice. It almost seems a little dry to look at, so I was a little worried, but taste-wise it was delicious. I will definitely be making this again, but I think I'll use sour cream or cream instead of the non-dairy alternative, as we don't have any dietary restrictions. I think this might make a difference with the dry-ish look of it.

Thanks Kim!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:23 am »
This is on this week's menu.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/