Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 22046 times)

Offline SR

• View Profile
Another Newbie
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:06:16 am »
Hi everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself.  I received my TM on Thursday night and was very excited.  On Saturday I did a banana and orange slush, vegetable concentrate, 5 seed loaf and pumpkin soup.  It was all so very nice and easy.  On Monday I did risotto which ended up a little mushy.  But I will not give up.  Practice makes perfect.  I also did porridge this morning.

I am calling my machine the 007 as I figure it does everything (a little like James Bond).

I can't wait to do the rye bread and Spaghetti Bolognaise.  Has anyone cooked the spaghetti in the TM?

I can't believe the support people are getting on this website.  It is incredible.  I can't wait to look at all the recipes people have posted and try them out.

Happy cooking,

Sue from Adelaide
Sue from Adelaide

Offline christomo

• View Profile
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:09:39 am »
Welcome Sue, This forum is fantastic, I spend most of the day at work looking at recipes, just as well I am self employed as it has become addictive.
Self employed with DH
Mother of 2

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:05:20 am »
Welcome to aboard Sue!  :)

We just must be special because we love our TMX!  ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Paulinel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:30:44 am »
Welcome and yes spaghetti is great in thermomix.  I have called my machine Thelma and she is great.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:14:34 am by Paulinel »

Offline SR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:45 am »
Thank you for the welcomes and thanks for the information Pauline.

Just one quick question, did you have to break up the spaghetti or did you just have it sticking out until it went soft and you could push it into the water?

I plan to get organised one day and make my own pasta.  That way I won't have that problem.

Thanks again,

Sue
Sue from Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:46:23 am »
Sue I found that if you don't break the spaghetti up it does catch a bit around the blades but it still seems to cook ok.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:08:04 pm »
Hi Sue and welcome  ;D
Just pop your spaghetti through the hole in the lid on reverse  :-: speed slow stir  ^^ and as the pasta softens it will go down.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:35:20 pm »
Hi Sue, another Adelaide TMX owner boosting our numbers, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as the rest of us do.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline grandma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 02:06:29 pm »
Welcome Sue.  What great people on this forum with great hints and tips - can't wait to do the spaghetti through the hole trick (I love Bimby) - another great tip for us new ones!!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 02:43:13 pm »
Hello and welcome Sue.  I'm a newbie too, only had my machine for about 5 weeks. You'll be surprised how quickly you pick it up and you've come to the right place to get help and guidance.  They are a real friendly bunch of people with lots of experience and knowledge between them, I love it on here.  ;D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:30:56 pm »
welcome sue!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:35 pm »
Hi Sue and welcome to the forum. I have not cooked pasta on the stove since I have had my TMX. Set it and forget it. Sometimes I wish I had two thermomixes or at least two jugs. Sigh!

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline SR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 02:00:45 am »
Thank you all so very much for your support and for all the suggestions regarding spaghetti.  Can't wait to try that now.

I have never found a site yet that has this kind of support and helpfulness.  I must say it has blown me away.

I can't wait to really get into it and maybe make a few of my own creations to share with you all.

Thanks again.

Sue from Adelaide
Sue from Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 02:16:17 am »
What a lovely compliment you have paid this forum Sue. I have to agree with you - even though I haven't been involved with too many other forums I have browsed some from time to time.

Like Gretchen, I also haven't cooked pasta in a saucepan since I got my TMX.  Guess for huge amounts you would have to though and put up with the mess it makes when it boils over, cleaning of the saucepan etc etc. ;D ;D ;D  I rarely even use a saucepan these days, let alone the stove top  8) 8) 8)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:34:34 am »
And Sue if I had access to your wonderful market I would go nuts. You have no idea how lucky you are. Sometimes I feel llik getting on a plane from Cairns  just to go shoppng there. Oh wait a minute,  I did do that once. I flew down  shopped at the market coming back with cheese, salami etc. My carry on bags were full of smellys we cannot buy here. I was in piggy heaven for a few weeks.  Bliss.
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.