Author Topic: Maple Syrup vs. Agave Syrup  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Maple Syrup vs. Agave Syrup
« on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:01 am »
Is anyone familiar with the differences between maple syrup and agave syrup?  I use maple syrup quite a lot, but have never tried agave.  I now have a recipe that specifically calls for agave but I have no idea what it tastes like.  I know agave is horribly high in fructose (yes, Judy, I even remembered to look up google all by myself this time, without prompting  ; - your gentle hints are beginning to sink into my brain after all these years!).  Can anyone comment on the taste difference?  The particular recipe I am tackling is a mango mousse so I am not sure that maple will be a good substitute, but I resent buying agave for just one recipe because, with that high fructose, I cannot see me wanting to use it again.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Maple Syrup vs. Agave Syrup
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:04:00 am »
I've never used agave syrup Marina. Sorry. I'm a maple syrup gal, especially after finding the  proper stuff at Costco so cheaply.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 10:15:59 am »
Marina, I only use Maple syrup for my vegan GD.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:49 pm »
When I went plant based about 5 years ago, rice malt syrup (always on special) was the substitute recommended for agave and honey. Apparently honey is also a substitute.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:07:37 pm by mcmich »
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 01:38:46 am »
When you get to my age Marina Google is used very often, I’ll be having a conversation with a friend and we wonder when such and such a building was built (eg Buckingham Palace) or how old a celebrity is - Mr Google knows all the answers. Once you start using it you’ll find yourself turning to it more often.  Glad to help out when you have had time to research xx
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:09:58 am »
Thanks everyone.  I think I'll just stick with maple syrup this time (mainly because I love the taste!).  I always have honey on hand and might take a look at rice malt syrup as well.

Google is handy, but not as good as getting first hand answers from friends who know what they are talking about!!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 12:26:01 am »
Marina, just saw your post.  I have all those syrups. Agave is thicker and bland. When I make protein balls for DD and GD I add some if the mix needs more liquid.  I use Rice syrup in the same way.  They don’t have health issues and are very active so not a worry. I use Maple syrup for us.