Author Topic: Bread & Butter Pudding - the Aussie Way !!  (Read 50382 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Bread & Butter Pudding - the Aussie Way !!
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:46:30 am »
Name of Recipe:Bread & Butter Pudding in the Varoma

Number of People: 4

Ingredients:

6 thin slices of buttered bread (or panetone) with crusts removed
Dried fruit or marmalade if using (see notes in Hints/Tips)

Custard:
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp sugar (vanilla sugar is good)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (if not using vanilla sugar)
1 1/2 cups milk ( or 1 cup milk & 1/2 cup cream for extra richness)

Cream for serving

While the pudding is grilling or simply resting, clean the Thermomix bowl out with cold water and dry thoroughly. Insert the butteflyand pour at least 200ml of cream into the bowl. Whip it at speed 4 until thick. You may need to scrape down the cream from the side of the bowl. Don't let it whip too much or you will have butter to spread over your pudding.

Preparation:

Cut bread into triangles and spread with marmalade or jam (if using). Layer bread in buttered dish, sprinkling with sugar, dried fruit and peel, chocolate or whatever combination, between layers. I tend to place pieces of bread on end to have little peaks popping out the top.

Custard:
Place eggs, yolks, sugar, vanilla and milk/cream into Thermomix bowl. Mix for 15 seconds on speed 3. Pour mixture carefully over the buttered bread and allow to settle for a minute or two. Cover with plastic film, or if using a suitable bowl you can place a lid on top.

Lightly clean out the Thermomix bowl and add 750ml of water. Place thermomix bowl on top and place Varoma above in postion. Place dish with pudding into Varoma and cover.

Set Thermomix to 20 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 3. The timing will depend on the depth of the dish used and so check at this stage for a shallow dish. Mine was cooked at this time. It may take another 5 - 25 minutes and the custard should be set and the pudding fluffy.

If you wish to have a crusty top then turn on your grill and allow it to warm up. Carefully remove the pudding from the steamy Varoma and leave on a place mat for a couple of minutes. gently remove the plastic cover or lid and sprinkle with some sugar. (Think of the exercise you will need to do to get this off your hips). Place the dish under the grill and watch carefully to ensure that it browns and does not burn.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

There are so many recipes for B&B pud. You can adapt you favourite, whether it be with croissants, panetone, brioche, raisin bread or good old white bread. You can add or leave out dried fruit or peel. Add chocolate pieces, spread the buttered bread with marmalade or jam. The combinations are endless.

members' comments
cathy79 - Made this last night - I don't think I've ever had B&B Pudding before.  I used up my last 6 chocolate HCB that were getting stale.
Was very nice thanks Thermomixer!  Great use for stale bread as it does get nice and soft.  Took a little longer to cook mine, but recipe suggested that this was possible due to variance in bowl shape, so I survived.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:55:52 pm by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline tmx_queen

• View Profile
Re: Bread & Butter Pudding - the Aussie Way !!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:06:01 pm »
I love this recipe - it is great with the panetone.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:57:35 am »
Thanks Thermomixer - will give this a try.  Do you think it would work using the frittata idea of lining the varoma with damp baking paper and cooking it in that?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:15:00 am »
Might be a bit too shallow - small bowls work well
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:48:16 am »
Thanks for this,  JD wants a recipe for using breadcrumbs.    I make a Queen of Puddings,  with the custard poured over the breadcrumbs.   Do you think I could use your B&B method?  Lemon butter is spread over the base once cooked,  and meringue over this and set in the oven.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:19 am »
sounds good, i will have to try this one.
thankyou,

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:27 am »
I've done it.   Made Queen of Puddings,  using Thermomixer's method.   Steamed the pud in the Varoma.  Perfect.  I will post recipe  under Desserts tonight,  but photos will be on my Blog.   Sorry about this.   Cookie this is another lemon one for your brother and JD I am sure you will love it. 

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:52 pm »
Yum!  One of my childhood favourites!  ;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:12:38 pm »
Made this last night - I don't think I've ever had B&B Pudding before.  I used up my last 6 chocolate HCB that were getting stale.
Was very nice thanks Thermomixer!  Great use for stale bread as it does get nice and soft.  Took a little longer to cook mine, but recipe suggested that this was possible due to variance in bowl shape, so I survived.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Suesthermy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:34:29 am »
I love bread and butter pudding! Reminds me of my grandparents.  I once made a similar pudding with a meringue top but have since misplaced the recipe :-[.  I think you just use the egg whites and a couple of tablespoons of sugar and cook for the last few minutes.  Does anyone have a recipe?  I would love to make this again.

Must say how much I love this forum - lots of our meals originate from here
 :)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:39:28 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum Suesthermy.  There are recipes on here in desserts for various bread and butter puddings - I love them steamed in the varoma, sprinkled with sugar then popped under the griller to brown up a bit.  You could use one of these recipes and just top it with a meringue and place in the oven to finish it off.  Chookies Queen of Puddings has this sort of topping which is 2 egg whites beaten and adding 30g castor sugar gradually until stiff. Bakes in a 200o oven until the meringue sets and is lightly brown on top.

Like you, most of my meals come from the forum or I convert things I find which are suitable to cook in the TMX (no short supply of these- I have a file full waiting to be converted)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:44:38 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:44 am »
Welcome Suesthermy.

Thanks Chookie for the lemon in your recipe. When it is only for us I'll use fruit and then when DB is round use lemon butter. I hope to see him when we go to SA in Spetember this year. He thought he might drive over to Adelaide for a week or so when we are there. We want to go and see the Pandas at the zoo.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 09:30:29 am »
Welcome SuesThermy - great to have you posting here.

Think JD's idea of putting meringue on and finishing in the oven sounds good.

Would probably work if you put the meringue on and cooked in the oven - it doesn't cook for long.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 04:23:47 am »
What an excellent idea! I normally use a water bath and its so hard to get a hot dish out of a water bath without getting your oven gloves, kitchen towel in the hot water!

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:16 am »
I love cooking it this way as I think it makes it light and fluffy
Thermomixer in Australia