Author Topic: A new thermomix user from Québec!  (Read 5163 times)

Offline bitcolorina

• View Profile
    • The Practice
A new thermomix user from Québec!
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:41:37 pm »
Hi, everyone,

This Friday is the big day. I will have my Thermomix delivered! The demonstration was last Friday and it was just a matter of hours before deciding that this machine is too cool!

I have a bit of a history with cooking. I've never been a good cook, in fact, I don't like cooking very much, I thought it would get better with time, but I don't think it is happening. I really don't like to spend time in the kitchen, it's torture to me. I hate the whole process: the thinking about the menu, the grocery shopping, the preparation, the cleaning and then doing it over again in an endless cycle. And we are just  my husband and I! I know, I'm a whiner.. but it's something that I just don't like. So one day a colleague told me that she had bought the Thermomix for her husband who is from Spain and is a 'gourmand', he really likes his food. And when she started telling me all the things she could do with this machine I was struck.. I couldn't believe it. I was so impressed by the history of the Thermomix that I thought, how could this have evaded me for so long?

I also want to share some of my concerns about buying it, especially because the price is so steep that I have buyer's remorse.
We are just two people in the household. Husband and I, and I've seen that most thermomix recipes are for 4 or 6 servings. It's not a big deal because we can freeze food and have dinner ready for the rest of the week. However I'm afraid that as with every good gadget, at one point you get bored and you just put ir away in a closet...

I'm also concerned about menu planning... in 2011 I want to be a master at planning our menus, also as a means of really REALLY using the thermomix.

I'm really intimidated now that I have my husband's green light to buy it, I wonder how I can make the most of it.

But for now, I'm happy to be part of this forum!

Bit.
Bitcolorina
Montreal, Qc.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: A new thermomix user from Québec!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:27:19 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Like  you, there is just my husband and I and our TMX.  When we (I) purchased the TMX I was determined that it would not be an expensive toy just left unused - I work far too hard to earn my money and I was not willing to pay out the best part of $2,000 and leave it sitting around hidden in the cupboard gathering dust and cobwebs.

So, first thing, it was left on the bench in a very handy position.  Due to our circumstances, I can only really cook at the weekends so I usually spend around 5 - 6 hours on a Sunday morning preparing food for the week which I freeze and use as needed.  The fact that you can cook enough food in each recipe for perhaps 3 - 4 (or more) people is a bonus so far as I am concerned - it means more meals into the freezer just waiting for me to defrost and use during the following weeks.

The TMX has really been a God-send for me as I work approx. 55 hours per week and having food ready to go in the freezer works perfectly for us - I am sure you will also find that you can quickly and easily adapt to the new lifestyle and will not look back.  Menu planning is easy, especially when you have a good range of "ready meals" on hand in the freezer - just defrost, make a quick salad or vegetables and there you go.  A wonderful home cooked meal in minutes.

Bon Apetit!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:44:10 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Bit.I think most people have concerns about buying an expensive piece of kitchen equipment but once you get cooking with your new TM I believe your doubts will fade.Always have it on your kitchen bench and it can be used all the time.As to recipes, halve the ingredients and only cook enough for the two of you. As you said, any extras can be frozen and used another day.Search for some wonderful recipes here and try them in your TM. If unsure, ask questions, there are very knowledgeable friendly people here on the forum who will guide you.Have fun and I look forward to hear what you have been cooking. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:18 pm »
Hello, welcome to the forum from me in the UK!

I'm very different to you in that I love to cook but as a busy mum with 3 boys it sometimes get a bit too hectic!  I bought the TMX without discussion with my dh and he's been clever enough not to ask how much it cost! :)

I often menu plan and I think there is a thread somewhere with peoples menu plans - I'm happy to add mine if it helps.  I don't always do a week at a time, sometimes just doing 3 or 4 days helps me to plan ahead.

We've only had the TMX a few weeks but I've already noticed a dramatic change in the processed food we no longer eat.  The children like pizza once a week - now its home made dough with make your own toppings.  Fortunately their pretty happy to try new things!

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:57 am »
Welcome. I think the important thing is to keep the machine on the bench. Find a cosy little spot for it where you can use it constantly. Then in the first couple of weeks make yourself use it and then you should be right. Try lots of things from this forum that have been tested by other members and you know they work.
Don't forget we're all friendly folk who will love to help you and answer your questions as you go. Good luck for your new adventure. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:23 am »
Hi bitcolorina, welcome to the forum.  Good advice from all above.  We also are only a 2 person household and although I often do halve a recipe, I mainly cook the full quantity and there is always something in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking.  I've lived just over a week out of it this past week, too much to do at this time of the year so it has been very handy indeed. The remorse you are feeling will soon disappear once you get into using your TMX - the more you do, the more you will want to do, believe me  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:16:16 am »
Welcome bitcolorina - ditto, all of the above. We hope you find this forum helpful and inspiring. We also look forward to trying out any converted recipes once you settle in and discover this new side of you that adores eating what you have enthusiastically cooked  :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:53:03 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum, bitcolorina. I can only agree with all of the comments posted to date, unlike other appliances which I have purchased (I am sure that I could vie for the tile of "queen of kitchen appliances"), thermie is permanently on the bench and is used all of the time.  Be assured that the next best thing to owning and using the TMX is the support and advice available on this forum.
Cheers - Robyn  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline bitcolorina

• View Profile
    • The Practice
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »
Wow, thank you so much for all the replies and encouragement. I have told myself two things:
1. I will start simple, I won't jump into complicated recipes. I've been browsing too many sites with TMX recipes and suddenly I got overwhelmed.
2. I will forgrive myself if I make disasters.. I just don't want the price tag hovering on my head every time I ruin something :P

Thank you all for making me feel welcome!

bit.
Bitcolorina
Montreal, Qc.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:17:49 am »
Bealted welcome - hope all is going well
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.