Author Topic: Electric pie makers and recipe ideas ;)  (Read 248828 times)

Offline dustbunny

• View Profile
    • My artwork
Re: Electric pie makers and recipe ideas ;)
« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2014, 11:37:07 am »
Yes, so nice to be coming into Winter - yay for comfort food weather!

It's awesome - Mum ate 3 today... now I have to see if I can find a pastry based on coconut oil, it's supposed to be good for Alzheimers patients. I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I will find out soon.

I'm glad my summaries are helping others too :)

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have gotten the one that makes 4 pies at a time...

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2014, 11:44:05 am »
I've printed out your summary of ideas for the fillings dustbunny, I love those lists of yours.  Thank you.
+1 - and thanks from me too, dustbunny.  :D
:D

Offline dustbunny

• View Profile
    • My artwork
« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2014, 01:59:39 pm »
You are very welcome astarra :)
I hope your chicken and veg pies turned out great!

Offline dustbunny

• View Profile
    • My artwork
« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2014, 02:06:47 pm »
Give the pastry a go!  I've only made the EDC one for pies and it's been great.  I've done that for the base and bought puff sheets for the top, but I think I prefer just the EDC pastry for the lot. 
I was scared of pastry, and for the pies was my first attempt in years (first ever TMX attempt) and now I make all sorts of pies. 

Oh, I found the quote button :)
Thanks for the pastry encouragement -it IS scary! I don't know why it is, but I should just bite the bullet and try it.

I hope I haven't missed anyone, I haven't been on a forum in years and I've forgotten how to acknowledge what everybody has said without looking like some kind of weirdo!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
I've printed out your summary of ideas for the fillings dustbunny, I love those lists of yours.  Thank you.
+1 - and thanks from me too, dustbunny.  :D

Thanks from me too.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 15, 2014, 07:32:34 pm »
I made pies tonight for our supper.Used up the remaining Chicken Chasseur from yesterday. ;D Made shortcrust pastry to use on the bottom and lids.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 15, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
we had pie for our dinner last night 2  CC, filling was veg and leftover BBQed meat. i have been using the family size pie maker i found it much easier and faster and i also start with the pie maker been cold and room temp fillings
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:43 pm »
Yum the filling sounds delicious Uni ;D
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 17, 2015, 05:06:23 am »
I was hoping someone on here could help me.  I usually use bought shortcrust pastry for the base when making pies in my pie maker, but today I thought I would try making my own.  I used the recipe for the rich shortcrust pastry from the UK everyday cooking book (kindly posted by Judy  :))  Although the pastry was really easy to work with, as soon as it went into the heated pie maker it started shrinking down and contracting in size, and when I went to take them out of the pie maker, the "lids" or tops of the pies hadn't sealed with the bases, because the pastry bases had shrunk so much.   When trying to lift out the pies, the tops just came off and the pies stayed in the pie maker.   I never had this problem with the commercial bought pastry.  Any ideas why this might have happened and how I could fix it?  Was the pastry too rich, too short ???  Would another recipe work better??
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 17, 2015, 05:14:20 am »
I'm no expert on pastry Karen but did you rest it or did you roll it and pop it straight into the pie maker?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 17, 2015, 05:15:39 am »
I rested it in the fridge for a couple of hours after making the pastry, but after I rolled it out and cut it into the pie bases I bunged it straight into the pie maker.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:30 am »
Not sure how many times you have to rest home made pastry but I would have thought 1 rest would have been enough.  Maybe one of our pastry chefs can help you Karen.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 17, 2015, 09:31:29 am »
Karen when I make pastry I rest it in the fridge after making it.I then roll it out cut out the appropriate number of lids and bottom for my pie maker.I then rest these in the fridge too.The bottoms do shrink a little after coming into contact with the hot surface of the pie maker but not too much.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:01 am »
I've used homemade short pastry. I use flour, 1/2 the weight of the flour in butter and then just enough moisture (water) to bring it together. I then push it together with my hands, wrap it in Gladwrap and res t for at least an hour.
I don't rest it after rolling and cutting, but that would probably help.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:27 am »
Karen, I find that Kimmy's quiche pastry http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=11982.0 works very well in the pie maker. It makes enough for 4 individual pies,and I use a sheet of commercial puff pastry for the lids. Her pastry is very forgiving- I've substituted sour cream or yoghurt for the cream. This week I used pork fat instead of butter when making pork pies.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous