Author Topic: My French bread adventure  (Read 8985 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Re: My French bread adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:41 pm »
No 55 is what they call it here CP.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
Cp The one i used in france was a special blend from our local mill but my fav was a 'tradition ' baguette blend.. Ill have to wait until my stuff arrives as i cant remember whats in each blend if thats what you mean.. I can find out though.. In any case you wouldnt get it here.. You could maybe try to replicate it??? Is that what you meant??

The different flour mills make up different flour blends for diff breads...

Jo glad you like it but not my recipe.. Just posted from the French bread book so cant take credit.. Glad you like it though :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »
Type 55 is just a strong flour which can be used for any kind of dough really but not specific for baguettes although ppl making them do use it for baguettes but its not the flour used to make baguettes traditionally as they are blends

You could use any strong flour like you do for any bread dough really but for me its the  difference between bread shaped like a baguette and an actual baguette.. But ive been spoilt and standards are high.. 😄😄😄

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »
I would go and live in France just for the Baguettes.  I have only once made bread that was close in taste and texture.  I always use Frozzies method for folding.  Thanks for this tip Frozzie.
DJ, I really enjoyed your  photos.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:19 pm »
I am missing them terribly chookie.. Miss just popping down to our local boulangerie to grab a baguette.. Divine!! Snif 😔

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »
Thanks Chookie. It is very interesting what you say Frozzie about flour blends. I feel I was almost miss sold the flour I bought. Still they were good and live and learn. That's what I love about  this place the sharing of knowledge, the encouragement and the desire to have a go.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:32 pm »
Dj like an award winning baker in paris said.. Its amazing how many different breads you can make out of water flour salt and technique.. Think thats what he said lol but you get the meaning... What they dont say is there are different flours and technique are often closely guarded secrets in good boulangeres... Even after 12 years i still dont know all the different types of breads... Like cheeses.. So much choice.. So e i loved and some not so much but my all time fav.. Baguette tradition and was kind of partil to a fruity muesli boule in bretagne in my inlaws little village bakery :)

Dj I think for any home baker you can use a type 55 which is what it states in the french recipe i posted .. A strong bread flour without added salt yeast etc just flour?? would be the aussie equivalent .. Im just on a mission to try a and replicate a true baguette that i have grown to love.. Im a fuss pot lol.. That golden crunchy exterier and an airy stringy type interieur and sort of flattened... Heaven!

I saw a you tube video where a guy threw his small container of water on the bottom of hot oven after he put the bread in to cook and quickly closed the door... Said thats the secret to the perfect crust and not just putting it in the oven..  Will have to try it!!

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
Slightly worried about electrics, am going to try lava rocks in a roasting tin, heat up then chuck water in there. I posted thread and video.

The millers are clever. Shipton where I get mine are one of the best and the flour used does make a big difference.
Keep us posted and safe driving to Sydney.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 12:49:23 am »
Thx dj will do.. Not leaving for syd until the morning.. Dh needs a rest :) but he will be here very soon... Yay!!

I thinkthe water only being a small amount pretty much evaporates straight awayto create alot of steam.. Prob about 1/2 cup roughly?? Let us know how you go withthe rocks.. Interesting.. Sort. Of likea sauna effect??