Author Topic: TM user in the UK  (Read 10778 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
TM user in the UK
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:20:20 pm »
I'm finally getting around to introducing myself, after just realising that I've been posting without doing that.

I got my TM31 about 6 weeks ago, and love it.  Previously I had the TM21, which I bought 2nd hand in Germany (we lived there for nearly 12 years - moved back to the UK just over a year ago).  Because I bought it 2nd hand, I never saw a demo, or really knew everything that it could do (learning the self-cleaning trick was a revelation!  I went 2 years without that).  I mainly used it for sauces and soups.  I also have the distinction of being probably the only person to manage to break a TM (or rather, my removal men did).  I meet with flummoxed and disbelieving faces from all TM staff when they hear it doesn't work anymore.  People tell me stories of how their TM was passed from mother to daughter.  What can I say?  My removal men were just talented, I guess.

After seeing the price of a new TM, I decided that I could live without one.  And proceeded to try and do so.  In the end my husband complained about the number of bought in ready meals, etc, and told me to get on with it and order a new Thermomix.  Ah the joy of being reunited!!  But this time, I'm determined to use it to its maximum potential.  It has to earn its money!  Well, that was my original standpoint - but now I'm just having fun  ;D

Open our fridge now and it's full of homemade condiments, squash, juice, jam, marmelade, lemon curd, peanut butter, yogurt, etc.  Ready meals?  Pah!  Who needs 'em?!  :D

My family all live in Ozzie now (are they trying to tell me something?!), but we're firmly fixed in the UK - for now, at least ...

A visit to my relatives a few weeks ago gave me the chance to see a Cyndi O'Meara back to basics course, buy a couple of Australian books ... and talk my Mum into buying a TM too  ;D 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: TM user in the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:40:51 pm »
LOL!!!

i had no idea you were in the UK caroline! i feel dumb now lol ??? ;D

my friend just bought her tmx and broke the butterfly within 24 hours  8) ooops! (note to all newbies, don't use the butterfly over speed 4!!!!!!!!! even when cleaning! )
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »
Great to find out a little about how it started at your end.

I have been trying to make my TMX earn its keep too.  ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Irene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:56:32 am »
my friend just bought her tmx and broke the butterfly within 24 hours  8) ooops! (note to all newbies, don't use the butterfly over speed 4!!!!!!!!! even when cleaning! )
Haha - that would have been me!!!!!!!!!  :P

Hi Caroline!  Where in the UK do you live?  I lived in London (for 2 years) about 10 years ago and still miss the curries!!!!  Haven't attempted a curry in the Thermomix yet but would like to try a dhal soon.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:57:51 pm »
I live in Bromley, Greater London.  I missed the curries while I wasn't living in the UK, too  ;D

Seeing the quote made me laugh.  I almost did the same myself the other day, but was saved by remembering your story  ;)  So I guess we're both famous in TM circles!!

Where do you live now?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 09:04:32 pm »
haha and i was sprung!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:26:11 pm »
ooh, I've just noticed that I've been promoted!  When did that happen, I wonder?  Well that's something to cheer me up while feeling ill, anyway  ;)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 10:26:17 pm »
when you got to 50 or 60 i'd guess
sorry to hear you're not well :(
My Cooking Blog

Offline Irene

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 09:31:11 am »
Where do you live now?

I live in Canberra now, about 10 minutes away from our own Brazen  ;D

In the UK I lived in Kensington and Hammersmith, and worked in Farnborough/Southampton/Richmond. When we first moved there we stayed in an apartment near Euston and used to go to a street there which had lots of Indian restaurants - it was near Euston Station I think.  We also drove to Leicester a couple of times and had some authentic Indian food there too.  In Hammersmith we lived on the Thames a few doors down from the River Cafe  ;D  What I did miss however was good Asian food (ie Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai) - we get a lot more of that here in Australia.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 12:50:52 pm »
Yes - our oriental Asian food isn't a patch.  That's one of the things I enjoy when visiting Ozzie  ;D

Offline Irene

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:20:25 pm »
Where are your relatives in Australia Caroline?  And where have you visited here?

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:33:24 am »
they're dotted around the NSW area - Newcastle, nr Lake Macquarie, and nr The Entrance

I've visited most areas at some time or another.  I had a gap year in Oz when I was 21 (just the other day - really, honest.  It wasn't long ago at all!) and traveled all around in a camper van.  An absolutely fantastic time.  I worked for 6 months in Melbourne, which I loved.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 02:15:18 am »

I worked for 6 months in Melbourne, which I loved.

Best city in the world IMHO  ;D  ;D  ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Irene

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 08:37:32 am »

I worked for 6 months in Melbourne, which I loved.

Best city in the world IMHO  ;D  ;D  ;D

I lived there for 12 years and agree that it is great (especially all the wonderful Greek/Mediterranean food) but I've found a secret gem - Canberra  :P

Actually I was in Melbourne a few months ago and went looking for a vegetarian Asian restaurnat in Chinatown (the ones that serve the mock meat) and was told that I'd have to venture out to Box Hill  :o.  Sorry to go a bit OT in the welcome thread LOL.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 08:42:26 am »
i love visiting sydney and melbourne but could never live in either, way too big for me! (i'm a country girl born & bred)
My Cooking Blog