Author Topic: Recipe Review - Melting Chocolate Puddings from Budget Busters  (Read 6075 times)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
Recipe Review - Melting Chocolate Puddings from Budget Busters
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:51 pm »
Recipe Name:   Melting Chocolate Puddings
Book Name:     Budget Busters
Review:           Could do with some improvements. Steamed the puddings for 25 minutes and maybe i should have cooked them for 5 more minutes as they tasted quite floury. ( this is the second go i have had at these and both times they tasted quite floury).  They were very sweet, so possibly the sugar could be reduced.  They have the potential to be good, so will give them another go and i think this time i will bake them in the oven as suggested as well in the book. 
Oh one more thing, 1 tsp vanilla essence is in the ingredients list but it is not mentioned again in the method.  I would just add that with the eggs and cornflour.
I am determined to get these right as they are gluten free so dh would be pleased!
Score: (out of 5*)  3* out 5*
Emma from Victoria

Offline significance

• View Profile
    • My New Jetpack (Thermomix blog)
Re: Recipe Review - Melting Chocolate Puddings from Budget Busters
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:37 am »
Did they rise for you, as the recipe says they should? Mine didn't :(
Looking at the recipe, I can't see how they could: there's no raising agent and the eggs are not souffled. Perhaps the recipe needs a little baking powder added with the cornflour?

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:56:00 am »
hi signifcance
yes they did rise for me, cant explain why they would i thought maybe because there were eggs in them?? someone else might be able to explain what would make them rise without a raising agent
Emma from Victoria

Offline significance

• View Profile
    • My New Jetpack (Thermomix blog)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:42:00 am »
Hmm. Must have been something I did differently or wrong, then.
But it sounds like you weren't impressed by the taste either, so I'll try something different next time, and won't bother repeating this one.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:47:59 am »
Just wondering if this chocolate souffle recipe from farfallina is a similar thing to the melting choc puddings.  This is a no-fail recipe and once frozen(something you have to do even if you are cooking them for today's meal), you can leave them in the freezer until you need them.  Great for unexpected visitors, straight from the freezer into the preheated oven. Follow the recipe to a T and it will be a success.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:38 am »
yeah i wasnt impressed with them really, thanks judy will give farfallinas recipe a go next time, somehhow i hadnt noticed that recipe on here!
Emma from Victoria